Is the GPX 5000 catching up to the SDC ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see with new coils the 5000 is getting a lot of small gold . Is it as good or better than the SDC on small Gold now ?

I think the 4500/5000 will find nearly as small as the 2300...within .01 or .02 but the Gpx will go deeper...but the 2300 is great in hot ground and easy to use and can be run with no harness or cords..

The GPX has always gotten it's fair share of small gold even before the new coils. My personal best with the 5k in fine gold with Nugget Finder 14"x7" Advantage coil was a 0.03 bit.
I know there'll be howls of protest but in my opinion & from what I've personally experienced/witnessed + read; while the new flat wound coils certainly have a sharper signal on the small stuff & offer some improvements over older coils they still won't be as effective as the SDC & it's made for purpose MPF timing. Simply put the GPX doesn't have this timing & while certain small gold can be picked up they are neither as consistent on it nor will they pick up various shapes/specci disseminations/porous prickly type gold etc. Many people who use/own or have owned both machines will agree.
Others won't but I can only offer my own experience. For example in approx. 12 months my GPX finds totalled in the grams (mostly sub grammers) & in a similar time frame, off in many cases the same goldfields, the SDC finds, also mostly sub grammers or even sub 0.5 grammers, tallied well over an ounce. The new coils may make a difference but I just don't believe they close the gap that much & as stated MPF just isn't there.
In saying that with the new coil closing the gap a little the GPX still affords way more versatility to operators than a SDC. Some are quite happy to just mop up with an SDC to so it's all about personal choice & needs. I wouldn't like to be heading to WA armed with an SDC only but could quite happily use one exclusively around our area again.

For newcomer with no experience the SDC will win hands down, switch on and go, just need to learn what is/isn't a signal.
although a lot of users run them fast out I've tried running at 2 and managed just as many targets (Nenad - Phasetech has recently posted a great guide, if you're a SDC user chest it out).

While the 4500/4800/5000 GPX series are pulling smaller gold with the new breed of coils there's still the issue of getting the settings spot on .... without that you're just wasting time (although you could still luck onto a monster, as we all hope we will).

Newbie .... go the SDC
Experience, then stick to your unit with a new Elite or Evo coil.

Cheers T.

By the way I use the SDC and 4800 (with Elite coil).

Nah as Matt said the SDC is way better for spiky, prickly, porous stuff and finely disseminated specimens. The new coils for the bigger detectors are excellent but the SDC wins hands down on some types that even a 5000 with the sadie just can not detect.

I think these new coil are bringing the best out on 5000 and 4500 I hand a SDC and the small stuff that my 4500 with a 12 evo is finding will leave a SDC, but a sdc is a lot easier to use for people new to detecting
Yes in my opinion a 5000 or 4500 with a 11 elite or 12evo will out do a SDC for depth on small gold regards john :)

I don't buy into the whole "the SDC is easier to use" bit. Sure it has less settings but you still have to know where to swing it to get the best out of it; basics of detecting - swing speeds, settings to suit area (with less choice this is less overwhelming to newcomers) etc.; how to pick faint signals (usually a bit deeper bits) among other sounds & so on. They also have there own little tricks & inherent characteristics or in some cases nuances that need to be understood to get the best out of them.
The GPX's aren't rocket science either. Most people new to detecting or new to the GPX platform get overwhelmed by the variety of settings & if new this is on top of learning detecting basics etc. so they can be more daunting or have a longer learning curve. Definitely no need to be a brain surgeon to use one though especially given even some very experienced people tend to leave them mostly in enhance or fine gold a lot of the time. They also come with factory presets & a lot of users start there + don't end up with settings too far removed from them.

John do you have any affiliation with the coil manufacturers at all? I ask because at least with the elite coils what I've seen (& picked up after them :D ) they do seem better but they were still not getting some bits the SDC was very clearly signalling on? Depth on some small gold seems to be dependant on shape & make up of the gold too. Some the GPX seems better on but others the SDC appears more clearer or in some cases the GPX still may not pull everyone up where the SDC would.
There's pro's & cons to both set ups IMO. Both will find gold no doubt about that & you will still find very small subgram gold with a GPX even with the stock Minelab 11" Commander mono coil once you learn the machine & some basics. An SD2200D with a stock 11" DD coil will still pick up subgram gold just not in the less than about 0.2-3 range. In the right area a Gold Bug 2 or GMT may even spank the pants off both the GPX with new coils & the SDC. Horses for courses?

The best thing about the SDC is the consistency in finds (in the right areas). In 16 months & numerous hour's in the field I had 2 x goldless half day or less trips. One of those was the day I received it & went to test it out. It found me gold right from the very first serious day of detecting. Versatility & covering the much broader spectrum of both small/big + shallow/deep gold is the GPX series strong point & these new coils no doubt give further improvements. As said above it's very much about personal choice & what your plans/needs are.
With the GPX I was finding that after a few goldless trips my enthusiasm would wane a little. I'd start questioning my techniques, areas, settings etc. etc. until the next gold find then the enthusiasm & drive to find the next bit returned. I found with the SDC being so consistent, even though it was mainly very small individual finds, that the enthusiasm remains more consistent too. Rather than questioning a whole range of things if there was no gold being found that usually just meant time to go elsewhere :lol:
At the end of the day if you are struggling with the basics of gold detecting or not in the right spot it wouldn't matter what you used or how "easy" it is to use.

Spot on mbasko.
Couldn't agree more, your last paragraph was spot on and says it all imo.
Choose your machine or machines and work them to there strengths (in the right locations) rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.

I totally agree the SDC is a ideal detector for finding gold on a regular bases I have friend that use them because there time is limited and when they go detecting they want to go home with a smile . As I said I had a SDC but it was not for me, today I have just got home with 5 pieces 2 were deep 6 inches and the others between 1 and 4 inches using 4500 with a 12 evo .
From time to time I am luck enough to test proto type coils NF and coiltek have coils that they lend out before the go on the market regards john :)

When I say Ease of use I mean in a lot of areas.........
1. Its no harness and lighter.
2. You can explain it to a novice and have him going in 10 mins,,,,,,
of course you still to walk over it.
I love the 5000 and wouldn't trade/swap it for anything.....
To get the best out of the 5000 you need a lot more time in the field than you would
to get the best out of a 2300

And maybe its just me,,,,,,, give me your accounts to work out I will have them back in 10 mins,,,,,,
talk me through a 5000 or an sdc for that matter I don't have a clue lol.......
Anything mechanical I cant be told or shown.... I NEED TO DO IT..
A lot of us out there lol

I think most males are the same? Practical learning is the best way to go. I often read instructions or manuals but things don't click into place until your actually doing it. Sometimes things just never click into place for me :lol:

mbasko said:
I think most males are the same? Practical learning is the best way to go. I often read instructions or manuals but things don't click into place until your actually doing it. Sometimes things just never click into place for me :lol:

Yeah, I think the worst part for me is when I find a good setting on a machine I tend to stick to it and in the past that has cost me Dearly, I am not sure if it is caused by fear or laziness.

john

Only speaking from my limited experience but I have had a small patch that I thought I did properly, after finding the first bit with the Sadie I raked it and spent the next 2 hrs going over it for nothing. Went over with the 11 inch plus the 15 x12 nothing. Got the sdc and went back only one about .3 should have found with Sadie but Maybee on its side? . Went back again with the NF 12 and got another. They were all under 3 inches deep so I think I should have found them with anything but Maybee not . They are all better at one thing than the other.

I've got both and I agree with Heatho and mbasko. The SDC is better for small gold and particularly prickly/specci gold. The 5000 is better for bigger deeper gold. I've found gold over a foot down with the SDC but it has to be big. I've tried to get the 5000 to match the SDC for small prickly specci gold but I can't do it. If there is a way I'd like to know how. You'd think with all the settings on the 5000 there would be a way to get SDC performance, but it doesn't come close in my opinion. All I can put it down to is the MPF timing which the SDC has and the 5000 doesn't. But like I said, if there's a coil/setting combo to equal the SDC I'd like to know what it is. What you really need is a switch on the 5000 so you can flick it over to SDC mode! :)

The closest you'll get with a 5000 is with the following:

6" detech coil
Fine Gold timing
Stabilizer 15 or 9 and Boost Audio
Slow Motion
Rx as high as you can tolerate

Latest posts