Inventions And Ideas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of those Alaskan Gold shows on Foxtel a week or so ago showed the miners bringing in some outside expertise to find the best area within their claim to dig next. The guys came in and first they sent a drone chopper uphill following the course of an old (now dry) river. The drone had a GPS and it took still photos of the whole area. Next, one of the guys wore a ground pinging radar in a backpack. It had a gps as well, and he dragged a cable behind him on the ground which contained a transmitter and a receiver that looked deep into the ground below.

They then used computer software to link all the pictures into one big map and they overlaid the readings from the ground-penetrating radar. They told the prospectors the best area for gold was 1 Km (or whatever, I forget) further up the creek. The diggers insisted on working all the ground between where they were and where the rich pickings were said to be. And when they finally got there the experts with the drone were proved to be absolutely right.

That's something we'd all love to have to help us, eh? :cool:

gedanate said:
One of those Alaskan Gold shows on Foxtel a week or so ago showed the miners bringing in some outside expertise to find the best area within their claim to dig next. The guys came in and first they sent a drone chopper uphill following the course of an old (now dry) river. The drone had a GPS and it took still photos of the whole area. Next, one of the guys wore a ground pinging radar in a backpack. It had a gps as well, and he dragged a cable behind him on the ground which contained a transmitter and a receiver that looked deep into the ground below.

They then used computer software to link all the pictures into one big map and they overlaid the readings from the ground-penetrating radar. They told the prospectors the best area for gold was 1 Km (or whatever, I forget) further up the creek. The diggers insisted on working all the ground between where they were and where the rich pickings were said to be. And when they finally got there the experts with the drone were proved to be absolutely right.

That's something we'd all love to have to help us, eh? :cool:
Yeah that would be a handy bit of kit. Hey.

Hmmmm, interesting, I had a similar idea with forcing some type of explosive substance through a small hole, then mixing it with air, compressing it, and then passing it through a small gap that was over the top of a moving cylindrical looking thing'y............. But damm it some bastad bet me to it!!!!
Nice one Joseph E Lenoir

Yer nice one DWT..... thanks for the welcome..... you have a good day.

Rob.

i had the idea of the five hour working week, you could do the five hours how ever you see fit for example 5 hours in one hit or spread out over the normal five working days and that my pay should be $200/hr, i tried selling the idea to my boss, he called me an idiot and said get back to work... one can dream

Hotrob said:
Hmmmm, interesting, I had a similar idea with forcing some type of explosive substance through a small hole, then mixing it with air, compressing it, and then passing it through a small gap that was over the top of a moving cylindrical looking thing'y............. But damm it some bastad bet me to it!!!!
Nice one Joseph E Lenoir

Yer nice one DWT..... thanks for the welcome..... you have a good day.

Rob.
Sorry mate, couldn't help myself :8
Let me start by saying welcome aboard to Australia's best forum where sarcasm and humor mixed with (some) intelligence makes a great place to 'dig in' :)

Not related to prospecting, but could maybe modify for camping, but suppose you build a house and

instead of the roof pitch pointing to the sky, it is inverted, like a funnel and catches the rain. The 'funnel-roof'

fills a big pipe which goes to the floor and you design your wet-areas around it?

PS, I'm aware that this might not be that beneficial with a tiled roof, but maybe I'll create an add-on for those.

(I'm guessing it'll be a tarp with my logo on it).

choiceshot2 said:
well I will give you one , not sure if it is new , my dear old dad , who is not with us anymore said that in the old days the old prospector use to throw a old sheep skin in the dried up creek bed tether it day with rock , create a rock sluice above it , wait until the winter rains come , and catch the gold, if any. when the spring or summer arrives pull the skin out , let it dry then beat out all the grip and hopefully gold.
whether this is true or not I am not certain , but it gave me a idea to make a gold catch , I use a flat piece of corflute , thickest available , use aluminum angle iron to box in some ripple mat miners moss then expanding metal , place item in dried up stream where you know gold is in , tether with rocks , then hope for the best.

I have made a few type , my only problem is I await for the rains.

I will post you a Utube if I can find the one , in the mean time here is a Utuhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIKGB2n45yUbe of the trommel
:)

Len the Panner

A historian told me yesterday they did use sheep skin and fleece to catch gold in rocker boxes and sluices....later on the sugar bag....

yobskin said:
choiceshot2 said:
well I will give you one , not sure if it is new , my dear old dad , who is not with us anymore said that in the old days the old prospector use to throw a old sheep skin in the dried up creek bed tether it day with rock , create a rock sluice above it , wait until the winter rains come , and catch the gold, if any. when the spring or summer arrives pull the skin out , let it dry then beat out all the grip and hopefully gold.
whether this is true or not I am not certain , but it gave me a idea to make a gold catch , I use a flat piece of corflute , thickest available , use aluminum angle iron to box in some ripple mat miners moss then expanding metal , place item in dried up stream where you know gold is in , tether with rocks , then hope for the best.

I have made a few type , my only problem is I await for the rains.

I will post you a Utube if I can find the one , in the mean time here is a Utuhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIKGB2n45yUbe of the trommel
:)

Len the Panner

A historian told me yesterday they did use sheep skin and fleece to catch gold in rocker boxes and sluices....later on the sugar bag....

Thats the thoery behind The Golden Fleece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Fleece

Has anyone ever used a clear bucket (say, like glass?) for looking under water with?

Mount a torch, and fossick in the rivers.

..like when you do the dishes, and you can see clearly, the bottom of the sink through a casserole or glass bowl?

I'll make a perspex one and see how it goes, in the wild.

mattr said:
Has anyone ever used a clear bucket (say, like glass?) for looking under water with?

Mount a torch, and fossick in the rivers.

..like when you do the dishes, and you can see clearly, the bottom of the sink through a casserole or glass bowl?

I'll make a perspex one and see how it goes, in the wild.

Think you might find fishing tackle shops already sell them. Google underwater viewer

Latest posts