Inventions And Ideas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattr

Matt
Reaction score
If you're anything like me, you have lots of ideas and inventions that you mention to someone.

Then you go to Bunnings or somewhere and see some of your old ideas on the shelf, fetching a pretty penny for some other guy who thought it up, ten years later!

Well, as far as prospecting ideas go, why don't we post some ideas here? ...not sure where I was actually going with that intro, it didn't really help to sell the idea. :rolleyes:

But here goes:

#1: When I was working on a cattle station in the Pilbara, I used to wear red-tinted glasses, which helped to spot cattle which were hard to see, sometimes, hiding behind scrub, etc. Anyone here wear yellow-tint glasses for spotting sunbakers easily? If not yellow, then is there a colour that seems to really work for that purpose?

#2: People seem to swap coil sizes to get in between spinifex, etc. Do you suppose Minelab might consider stealing my idea of a "U-shaped" coil, and do we think it would work well? I for one, have a piece of junk detector that I'm willing to pull apart to find out, chuck the wires into a bit of 20mm pvc and plug it back in. Unless of course I completely misunderstand any fundamental reason as to why that won't work, but I'm going to try, anyway.

I'll post up some more prospecting-related ideas when they come to me, but I'd also like to hear yours, if you have them.

Also, if anyone knows of a phrase that you can use to protect your ideas online, (yeah, riiight) then please post and we might be less inclined to keep our ideas to ourself.

#3: Just waiting on a 'protective phrase' for this one.

I understand very well, why no-one would want to contribute their unpatented ideas, as I said before, I've seen many 'new' things on shelves that I've sketched, years before. :(

Perhaps for the non-inventors, they could list the things that they see as poorly-designed with no alternative option, but to use.

That is how I see almost everything. (It's also how you can tell if I am in a bad mood, everything is all of a sudden poorly designed), haha.

Anyway, back on track, what does this market need redesigned? FYI, There is always a place for 'silly' if it improves efficiency. :lol:

1432633870_azog.jpeg

When I was 10 years old I noticed that a thin cord cut through grass real easy.
I told my Dad about it and he laughed at me.
I also noticed that a high speed 12v motor was great for trimming plastic. I used that idea on my model air craft.
I am 55 years old.
Go Figure.

well I will give you one , not sure if it is new , my dear old dad , who is not with us anymore said that in the old days the old prospector use to throw a old sheep skin in the dried up creek bed tether it day with rock , create a rock sluice above it , wait until the winter rains come , and catch the gold, if any. when the spring or summer arrives pull the skin out , let it dry then beat out all the grip and hopefully gold.
whether this is true or not I am not certain , but it gave me a idea to make a gold catch , I use a flat piece of corflute , thickest available , use aluminum angle iron to box in some ripple mat miners moss then expanding metal , place item in dried up stream where you know gold is in , tether with rocks , then hope for the best.

I have made a few type , my only problem is I await for the rains.

I will post you a Utube if I can find the one , in the mean time here is a Utu
watch
be of the trommel I made

:)

Len the Panner

Tathradj said:
... I noticed that a thin cord cut through grass real easy.
I told my Dad about it and he laughed at me.

The inventor of the Whipper Snipper lived across the road from you, then?

choiceshot2 said:
...throw an old sheep skin in the dried up creek bed..

Nice! I considered making a 'natural' gold trap with a bunch of heavy rocks, when I first found out where to look in rivers.

I made a prototype shovel once, with a handle that resembled that of a Whipper Snipper, sticking out of the top, due to a dodgy back.

Of course, everyone laughed, said that people with sore backs don't dig holes, and that it looked stupid.

You can get one from Bunnings if you want one, now. Someone had the same idea and didn't care what stupid people said to them.

I wonder if an attachment to your bullbar with a 'car-wide' broom, rake, or BULLDOZER-functioning piece of angle-iron would be

considered 'machinery' on a prospecting license. I guess it would be. :(

Used to find a lot of old carpet in the creeks on Dr George years ago with chook wire on them. LOL
Yep, Whipper sniper.
Then a dremel.

Tathradj said:
...a high speed 12v motor was great for trimming plastic.

Yeah, I was thinking Dremel, but wasn't sure if it was something else, hiding behind an even more well-known product.

..sort of like when someone gets a tattoo and you ask, "What is it?" and they get all offended, so I left my guess silent.

I had slot-cars as a kid, but my mum could've saved heaps of money if she just bought me a bag full of the little

electric motors that go in them, haha.

10 or more little cars, all with no wheels or motors.

If you parked your slotcar in my room, you'd come back and it'd be on little lego "blocks".

...You just parked in the wrooong neighbourhood, New Ferrari! :lol:

Nice thread.

As for a phrase to protect your idea, I doubt one would exist. Maybe that could be an idea lol

Although it would be illegal, I joke about the idea of a tiny micro dredge designed like one of the vacumes that just automatically goes around your house except it would go down the creek.

Could drop it off in the morning and pick it up at night for a clean out lol

Tom

How about a new Z attached to a drone, in that way it could utilise the Orc with a pick for a hand, could be a good use for some zombies when the apocalypse kicks in, they dig the hole, the drone sends down a little crane grab (similar to the ones that never pick anything up in the shopping centres), then out of the drone pops a semi automatic long slide .45acp, and BOOM! Zombie head no more and you've just back filled your hole :cool: sounds like a win win to me ;)

Good One DWT, :) :)
'
If you parked your slotcar in my room, you'd come back and it'd be on little lego "blocks".

...You just parked in the wrooong neighbourhood, New Ferrari! lol
Heard that there was a place like that in Melbourne.
Bloke pulled up at the traffic lights one day.
When he went to take off he went no where. :eek:
Yep, Wheels gone and on chocks they were that quick. :lol:

choiceshot2 said:
well I will give you one , not sure if it is new , my dear old dad , who is not with us anymore said that in the old days the old prospector use to throw a old sheep skin in the dried up creek bed tether it day with rock , create a rock sluice above it , wait until the winter rains come , and catch the gold, if any. when the spring or summer arrives pull the skin out , let it dry then beat out all the grip and hopefully gold.
whether this is true or not I am not certain , but it gave me a idea to make a gold catch , I use a flat piece of corflute , thickest available , use aluminum angle iron to box in some ripple mat miners moss then expanding metal , place item in dried up stream where you know gold is in , tether with rocks , then hope for the best.

I have made a few type , my only problem is I await for the rains.

I will post you a Utube if I can find the one , in the mean time here is a Utuhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIKGB2n45yUbe of the trommel I made

Len the Panner

using sheep skins to catch gold is the method used in ancient times and is the origin and actual meaning of the term "GOLDEN FLEECE".

casper..

I got a strong 25mm round magnet & drilled a corresponding 25mm hole in the end of my pick handle & then two part epoxied the magnet in the hole so it is just flush.

When digging a signal in rubbishy areas I just reverse the pick & run it around the hole picking up any metalic rubbish....... saves a lot of time & effort.

Rob.

Diggertom said:
I joke about the idea of a tiny micro dredge designed like one of the vacumes that just automatically goes around your house except it would go down the creek.

Haha, too lovely, Tom!

..a sort of a 'Kreeky Krawley', then?

Hotrob said:
...hole in the end of my pick handle & then two part epoxied the magnet in the hole..

So you know the feeling also, of seeing your ideas on the shelf?

dwt said:
..a new Z attached to a drone...

Would be nice to add a loaming algorythm to it to 'follow' the gold, according to previous beep locations, stored in memory.

I wonder whether a remote controlled helicopter with an ip camera and LEDs all over it, streaming live to a laptop would be good for this.

Might prove useful checking out shafts, caves, cliffs, other detectorists techniques, etc. :D

Even back at home, you can stick some money to it and send it down to the bottle-shop when you're too drunk to drive a car.

(Flying a chopper from your bbq area should be fine, though.) :D

I've often considered taking a three metre tressel on the back of the ute just to see a higher perspective of my surroundings,

but never actually have, yet. If you're out and see one of those lifesaving towers, with laser-lights on it attached to the back of a Hilux,

don't be shy, come over and say, "Hi" to me. Ever climbed a steep hill in a crows nest, before? It'll be a hoot! :p

casper said:
..actual meaning of the term "GOLDEN FLEECE".

..interesting.

dwt said:
How about a new Z attached to a drone, in that way it could utilise the Orc with a pick for a hand, could be a good use for some zombies when the apocalypse kicks in, they dig the hole, the drone sends down a little crane grab (similar to the ones that never pick anything up in the shopping centres), then out of the drone pops a semi automatic long slide .45acp, and BOOM! Zombie head no more and you've just back filled your hole :cool: sounds like a win win to me ;)

You had me at zombies hahahaha

I have 2 items which I have placed a few in a dried up creek beds , one is for walls the other is for the bottom of creek as there is no mechanical parts located or used on these items I cannot see why they would be banned in creeks
I await the rain to see if they work , if no heavy rain no work, I have used local rocks within the dried up creek bed and natural gold traps without destroying the natural flow of the creek
when or if when it may flow again, if the greenes thing this is bad practice , then they will need to find them to have them removed , with 80% of creeks in Victoria either dried up or little water in them at present, the area's which we are aloud to pan in , there is plenty a good homes to place them in.

2 pics attached, will they work will depend on first water flow secondly any gold in the creek , and thirdly safely held down so when the rains come they will still be there, hopefully all 3 will be correct.

of course they need to work!

the answer to this question will only be known my me and a few close friends

happy panning :)
1432711269_dsc01097.jpg

1432711359_dsc01095.jpg

Hotrob said:
I got a strong 25mm round magnet & drilled a corresponding 25mm hole in the end of my pick handle & then two part epoxied the magnet in the hole so it is just flush.

When digging a signal in rubbishy areas I just reverse the pick & run it around the hole picking up any metalic rubbish....... saves a lot of time & effort.

Rob.
Hmmmm, interesting, I had a similar idea with forcing some type of explosive substance through a small hole, then mixing it with air, compressing it, and then passing it through a small gap that was over the top of a moving cylindrical looking thing'y............. But damm it some bastad bet me to it!!!!
Nice one Joseph E Lenoir :rolleyes:

dwt said:
...I had a similar idea with forcing some type of explosive substance through a small hole, then mixing it with air, compressing it, and then passing it through a small gap that was over the top of a moving cylindrical looking thing'y...

A carburettor? Good thinking, dwt! That would be really useful.

You should invent an engine to stick under it. ..oops, I've said too much! ;)

edited

I wonder if an attachment to your bullbar with a 'car-wide' broom, rake, or BULLDOZER-functioning piece of angle-iron would be

considered 'machinery' on a prospecting license. I guess it would be. :(

As long as you don'r start the engine and find 3 or more mates to help you carry the car, then they would probably allow it! :D

I used to draw stick figures of my family, Mum bless her heart used to put these drawings on the fridge. If only she had the sense to see it through by making them into stickers and promoting them to be put on the back of everyone's cars and call it my family. Real short sighted Mum.

I thought that was Bernoulli.
May be just the principle.

dwt said:
Hotrob said:

Rob.
Hmmmm, interesting, I had a similar idea with forcing some type of explosive substance through a small hole, then mixing it with air, compressing it, and then passing it through a small gap that was over the top of a moving cylindrical looking thing'y............. But damm it some bastad bet me to it!!!!
Nice one Joseph E Lenoir :rolleyes:

I have a Thunder 50 Raptor Copter with a damned good radio system from the states. Has a 40Klm direct range and yes, I have and am going to fit a Camera to it.
FPV.
Without getting carried away it fly's for about 40 minutes on 1 standard tank of fuel.
Cost over $3500.00 to build with the radio system being a bit over the top.
Wished I waited for the Drones but Oh Well, Them's the breaks. :lol:

mattr said:
Diggertom said:
I joke about the idea of a tiny micro dredge designed like one of the vacumes that just automatically goes around your house except it would go down the creek.

Haha, too lovely, Tom!

..a sort of a 'Kreeky Krawley', then?

Hotrob said:
...hole in the end of my pick handle & then two part epoxied the magnet in the hole..

So you know the feeling also, of seeing your ideas on the shelf?

dwt said:
..a new Z attached to a drone...

Would be nice to add a loaming algorythm to it to 'follow' the gold, according to previous beep locations, stored in memory.

I wonder whether a remote controlled helicopter with an ip camera and LEDs all over it, streaming live to a laptop would be good for this.

Might prove useful checking out shafts, caves, cliffs, other detectorists techniques, etc. :D

Even back at home, you can stick some money to it and send it down to the bottle-shop when you're too drunk to drive a car.

(Flying a chopper from your bbq area should be fine, though.) :D

I've often considered taking a three metre tressel on the back of the ute just to see a higher perspective of my surroundings,

but never actually have, yet. If you're out and see one of those lifesaving towers, with laser-lights on it attached to the back of a Hilux,

don't be shy, come over and say, "Hi" to me. Ever climbed a steep hill in a crows nest, before? It'll be a hoot! :p

casper said:
..actual meaning of the term "GOLDEN FLEECE".

..interesting.

Latest posts