Introduction and request

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody. My name is Ben Berrell and i live in Perth Western Australia. I do both gold prospecting and beach and ocean hunting. Hiwever my passion is detecting in the ocean. I currently have a Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2 AND Garrett ATX. Unfortunately I am unable to use the ATX in the ocean as I have a double dd closed coil. I am chasing an open one. Could any members let me know if they are aware of one being available second hand.

Cheers Jaros pleased to meet you. I hope somebody can help me. Here's hoping! I just want to get more out of my atx than I currently do. After all we pay alot of money for these detectors and there is no point in them leaning up against a wall cheers Ben

Hi everybody. My name is Ben Berrell and i live in Perth Western Australia. I do both gold prospecting and beach and ocean hunting. Hiwever my passion is detecting in the ocean. I currently have a Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2 AND Garrett ATX. Unfortunately I am unable to use the ATX in the ocean as I have a double dd closed coil. I am chasing an open one. Could any members let me know if they are aware of one being available second hand.
Hi, Ben.

You've posted your intro in the right place, but a separate post in the Garrett section or the Wanted to Buy page, might have been a better way of making your coil request known.

The bigger, open ATX coil used to be the standard one when the detector first came to market. Unfortunately, the coil proved unpopular because of its weight/imbalance, lack of small target sensitivity and tendency to become bump-sensitive early in life. Eventually Garrett developed the solid coils, which I believe are now standard and supposedly don't have these unwelcome traits, as replacements.

As a result, most of the coils you are interested in are probably still with their original detectors, since the ATX didn't prove very successful for Australian prospecting, so there was little incentive for owners to upgrade to a replacement coil, especially at the crazy prices asked by Garrett here in Australia.

An available alternative, is to utilise the fully-waterproof DD coils produced for the pre-ATX Garrett Infinium PI detector. See my post here for some further info:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/atx-with-alternative-coils.31264/#post-518673