INTERVIEW ABOUT GOLD PROSPECTING

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldierocks said:
BigWave said:
Hi gr. Whilst I agree with you, I did not see a negative tone in this thread. I searched for the words: "stuff" and "sensitive", and came up blank.
Just for starters, telling him that that what he said he was going to be discussing was not of interest is not a great way to reply to an offer (he has to talk about something that interests the general public, and you either catch their attention in the first minute or they blank out - you don't start with complaints of being poorly treated - you just work that in there as you go on). And the overall tone was not really appreciative of being made an offer that could be useful.

It might not hurt for the group to have a discussion on what they would talk about if such an offer were made again by a station. And if I were being interviewed I would start light "you call that a nugget! Only a Scotsman could think that was a nugget. The 400 oz job from the Golden Triangle last week - now THAT's a nugget!". Then lead into the fact that it is a bit of a pity that such activities are not encouraged more....

I actually think the moderators are a bit too lenient (and yes, I have been at fault at times). It is easy to forget that the public can Google anything we say - I Googled "Beechworth diamonds" today and up came one of our threads on the topic. The public doesn't have to come to this url to see what we say to each other. And an issue with blogs is that they are like emails - easily misinterpreted. If I am out in the bush with a bunch of you and Johno starts being a grumpy old man, I probably know it is because he has troubles at home, and that the pile of stubbies at his feet have not helped his mood. Or Steve starts having a go at me and I catch the glint in his eye before I blast him, and realise he is just taking the Mickie. But expressions, body language, personal knowledge aren't there to guide you when you read a comment on a blog.

Well said GR you are better at political correctness than I am. I gather your referring to my post, I don't like sensationalism hence my tone. kclayton in my opinion only signed up for the benefit of chasing a story. Yes I understand it's was an offer to promote prospecting /small scale mining but I didn't like the tone of the invitation on the premise of chasing a story.

I'm not against media and understand their role is challenging and doesn't always allow for a timely process. I'm sure kclayton is a great person and is only doing a job. It would be nice if kclayton or someone in the media had a genuine interest in prospecting / small sale mining and provided a semi regular opportunity to talk on air rather than a quick grab to keep the boss happy once again just my opinion.

Your a good communicator if an opportunity comes up again I hope your around to respond :Y:.

Yes RM I was, but only as one example. I guess it is partly how one looks at it - what he gets out of it (someone on the air for less than 15 minutes of the many hours he has to find every week), versus what we get out of it (exposure to thousands of people and no harm done to us). If as you say he is exploiting us, he is also giving us a chance to exploit the situation. He could have just as easy got a greenie to talk about the damage that recreational prospecting does, but he didn't, he offered us a chance. I think the message is to be prepared for next time.

Yeah I might seem a bit harsh but in reality what does a nugget found in cold water in Scotland have to do with the plight we face as prospectors /hobbyist and small scale miners in Australia, nothing

Not totally untrue because the plight faced here could end up with the full stop they have there (although not likely but the reasoning is similar). The gold, as mentioned in the article, may be claimed by the crown as regardless of who owns the land the crown generally owns the gold unless permission is given to the fossicker by both the crown and the land owner. But the crown will not give that permission because of the claimed perceived environmental damage as mentioned in this pdf. www.crownestatescotland.com/maps-and-publications/download/74

Although I must admit I plan to do panning in Scotland next month in a little place called Tyndrum. Any gold ounce nuggets I find will not be appearing in the local paper or be handed over to HRH.

Perhaps the owner of the forum...or controlling interests could simply insert a heading which alludes to 'inquiries' and an official number to call,as well as an appropriate email...etc...just saying.I think Doug Spindler is the 'go to' guy for this type of thing...just saying. ]:D

20xwater said:
Yeah I will talk and I promise I won't do any harm lol

Ha Ha :Y: never bothered to reply as it goes with media sensationalism hard at work. No brains but tertiary educated mmm seems to be a common thread when it comes to social issues.

Latest posts