INTERVIEW ABOUT GOLD PROSPECTING

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I produce at the ABC Hobart Radio.

If anyone is interested and available to come on air tonight in the 8pm hour to talk about gold prospecting.

In light of the man who lay in the Scottish river for hours and found the UK's largest nugget.

please contact me

Admin edit. Personal contact details removed per forum rules. Members can click the EMAIL button to the left under their name.

I would love to talk on radio, but I don't have a radio voice. I'm out.

Good luck with finding someone at short notice.

I know there are a few people on this forum whom like talking!

kclayton said:
Hi,

I produce at the ABC Hobart Radio.

If anyone is interested and available to come on air tonight in the 8pm hour to talk about gold prospecting.

In light of the man who lay in the Scottish river for hours and found the UK's largest nugget.

please contact me

abc.net.au

G'day kclayton, so your a producer for the ABC what other interests do you have regarding prospecting. Your first post and you managed to forget rule 8 like a few but given the nature of your post I doubt it as a forgetful moment. Yeah I might seem a bit harsh but in reality what does a nugget found in cold water in Scotland have to do with the plight we face as prospectors /hobbyist and small scale miners in Australia, nothing. I'd like to see you continue with Prospecting Australia Forum and look forward to your contributions. Maybe your next request could be a discussion on the political challenge we face and have done so for the past 50 odd years or more. Along with our rights being eroded the small towns and surrounding communities suffer as a result of these legislations.

So tell us a bit about yourself so we can help you enjoy the great outdoors and healthy lifestyle prospecting allows us to enjoy :Y:.

RM Outback said:
So tell us a bit about yourself so we can help you enjoy the great outdoors and healthy lifestyle prospecting allows us to enjoy :Y:.
Another hour and a half and it won't matter

Go for it BigWave :Y: and while your on it get some commitment from them to make this a regular discussion :Y: and take it all around Australia :Y: talking to prospectors.

I listened to the show online, It was only very short. They got their hands on a Taswegian prospector. It was fine, very neutral, nothing for or against our lot. :Y:
With a few days prep one of us with a decent radio face could have used it as a stepping stone but its a bit hard to be well prepared with only a couple of hours warning.

Guys, I didn't feel that the response was all that friendly - the tone is commonly pretty aggressive here, and it does not make us friends - a bit of diplomacy would help our interests more. I actually get very negative responses from some who have seen the tone here, and who dismiss us as a group FOR THAT REASON. And they are in the mining industry - they feel it would be unwise to be seen associated with us. Some give input into legislation. You can say "stuff them then" but it does harm (e.g. they assume that the minority who adopt such a tone are representative, and assume that we are irresponsible and not to be trusted to behave in a reasonable manner out in the bush or obey laws and regulations). I've avoided commenting, but have considered leaving a few times because of such issues - comments about people being "sensitive" etc miss the point a bit. That being that this is supposed to be a fun group, enjoying a hobby and helping each other do so.

Gotta agree Goldierocks. The tone of one of the members, you know who, was not nice at all. It was an invitation to talk about the hobby, something we all like doing. Fresh air, sunshine and "gold". If it was me at the radio station I would have baulked at the tone and rightfully so. :N:

BigWave said:
Hi gr. Whilst I agree with you, I did not see a negative tone in this thread. I searched for the words: "stuff" and "sensitive", and came up blank.
Just for starters, telling him that that what he said he was going to be discussing was not of interest is not a great way to reply to an offer (he has to talk about something that interests the general public, and you either catch their attention in the first minute or they blank out - you don't start with complaints of being poorly treated - you just work that in there as you go on). And the overall tone was not really appreciative of being made an offer that could be useful.

It might not hurt for the group to have a discussion on what they would talk about if such an offer were made again by a station. And if I were being interviewed I would start light "you call that a nugget! Only a Scotsman could think that was a nugget. The 400 oz job from the Golden Triangle last week - now THAT's a nugget!". Then lead into the fact that it is a bit of a pity that such activities are not encouraged more....

I actually think the moderators are a bit too lenient (and yes, I have been at fault at times). It is easy to forget that the public can Google anything we say - I Googled "Beechworth diamonds" today and up came one of our threads on the topic. The public doesn't have to come to this url to see what we say to each other. And an issue with blogs is that they are like emails - easily misinterpreted. If I am out in the bush with a bunch of you and Johno starts being a grumpy old man, I probably know it is because he has troubles at home, and that the pile of stubbies at his feet have not helped his mood. Or Steve starts having a go at me and I catch the glint in his eye before I blast him, and realise he is just taking the Mickie. But expressions, body language, personal knowledge aren't there to guide you when you read a comment on a blog.

Latest posts