Interesting PM

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have noticed with many newbies to prospecting that have not found gold yet, they are usually asking for a location from anyone willing to give them one?
They seem to think that there is just piles of ounces of gold laying about in specific locations known only to experienced prospectors. :eek:

Not meaning any offence here to newbies: There is much less gold out there than what you think, thousands of other prospectors have been there before you
and only the scraps are left now!

To some degree there is always a chance of finding gold nuggets ( mostly small ) in good course gold locations like Victoria's Golden triangle.
Newbies would be better trying to learn on how to use there detector better ( Minelab Training days, this sites forum field trips etc ).

You need to slow down your swing, set your detector correctly, and go to the well known and hammered ground marked on the many available maps.
For the most part no body knows of a location that they can donate to a stranger that will make a newbie rich in a weekend.

Gold fever gives people too much expectation and watching U Tube prospecting videos can give someone a false sense of reality.
If your taking up gold prospecting to get rich.
" Good Luck with that! ".

Its more about the experience, getting away from the city, spending time in the bush etc. :Y:

Moderator Edit
Many Thanks for this.
If there was a post of the month,
This would win it hands down.
Doug

Many of the ole Farts are struggling to find gold too, Back when I first started I would not detect in public places and forums were a real worry, Times change and so do people,

My sites are bloody murder and anyone is welcome to tag along and there is some good gear in that ground too, But bring a quick machines or you won't move more than a 100ft in a day,

John.

Swinging & digging said:
i have noticed with many newbies to prospecting that have not found gold yet, they are usually asking for a location from anyone willing to give them one?
They seem to think that there is just piles of ounces of gold laying about in specific locations known only to experienced prospectors. :eek:

Not meaning any offence here to newbies: There is much less gold out there than what you think, thousands of other prospectors have been there before you
and only the scraps are left now!

To some degree there is always a chance of finding gold nuggets ( mostly small ) in good course gold locations like Victorias Golden triangle.
Newbies would be better trying to learn on how to use there detector better ( Minelab Training days, this sites forum field trips etc ).

You need to slow down your swing, set your detector correctly, and go to the well known and hammered ground marked on the many available maps.
For the most part no body knows of a location that they can donate to a stranger that will m,make a newbie rich in a weekend.

Gold fever gives people too much expectation and watching U Tube prospecting videos can give someone a false sense of reality.
If your taking up gold prospecting to get rich,"Good Luck with that!".

Its more about the experience, getting away from the city, spending time in the bush etc. :Y:

Good honest post S&d :Y: You nailed it.

I was told when I fist started prospecting to go where others have found gold before, this lead me to research known creeks around Melbourne where gold had been found before....I never found any gold for the first couple of months until I chanced upon another member who had been to the spots I had been and also gave me creeks to try....That gave me my first real thrill seeing a pan with flour gold big enough to count over 75 specks...And yes I did count them all because I was excited. :)

Go where others have been..... :Y:

Unfortunately I see it as a sign of the times of instant gratification in our our society nowadays. Not always as there's still people out there who start a new hobby and are genuine about doing the hard yards to learn but, as I said a sign of the times I think and just to include everyone of every persuasion :rainbow:

Sometimes disclosing the exact location is not enough for a newbie to find gold. We joined the WA DWAG annual muster couple of years back. We were new to the game so a couple of honest more experienced guys showed us the exact spot where they'd found gold previously. The clue was that they found the gold and took it :| We were new to our machines and new to detecting so even being on GZ wasn't enough. I know if I went back there today I'd find gold so perhaps a little disclosure to a newbie is not a great risk.

Last year we took my son's father-in-law to a well worn but reliable gold location so that he could break in his three year old GPZ7000. After wandering about for a day with no more than a few rusty bits of junk I directed him to a spot where I'd already pinged a little one with the 4500 and let him dig it. Now he's talking about buying a 4500 but I don't think it will make much difference. Not too many can just buy a detector and go out and find gold. We all have to learn the machine, the technique and the sounds before we find too much.

Of course we don't know if the person seeking information is really new to the game.

G'Day to all the newbies
one of the keys to finding gold is to do research, more research and even more research, there is a wealth of information if you search the forum on the post where those who have been lucky have posted pictures of their hauls mostly on a 5 cent piece all except for one lucky bloke called Bob , he was lucky, found a good size nugget, I also detected in the general area and found bullets and rusty nails. There are also a number of books and published maps giving a good insight as to the old areas where gold has been found in the past , You Tube videos are also another resource of gold prospecting methods and give a general region , its like this a friend of mine ran me the other night and all I could hear was a rattling sound after a minute he burst out into laugher , gold john that's the sound of a gold nugget, I found a nugget where they said there are none only river gold the motto of my story is Gold is where you find it perhaps after a 100 targets and digging into what looks like virgin ground you have to believe this is it a massive nugget then out pops the rusty nail how the bloody hell did that get here, its an interesting past time , pottering around in the bush looking looking looking for the signs remember to do the research there is no pink cross of where to dig

Latest posts