Hiccup reduction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiccup Cures:
- Hold you breath. Won't work for the machine but may calm down the operator &/or prevent foul language
- Tongue & ears method. Hold your tongue right & block your ears.
1414263406_14142633043790.jpg

- Use water. Dunk the machine in water until they dissappear/stop.

*Warning these remedies may be old wives tales & probably won't work. Seek professional advice (Reg & Zuke)
:lol:

It's not too bad Reg. My best friend right here in Bendigo has an spp. We go detecting together so we can swap machines for a change if we want. I got a Nokta fors gold which is not PI but is shaping up to be quite a capable machine. Steve Hershbach in the states did a very positive review on this machine. Its very interesting reading. There is some good innovative machines coming from other countries that make these times very interesting for our hobby. I can unfortunately only afford one machine, but if things pick up I will certainly buy another spp. If the hiccup issue was gone. It is undoubtedly a very fine machine. Regards... Ronnie.

I tried it Mbasko it didn't work. :) Now all jokes aside i believe Whites will sort this out. I don't believe the issue is that complexed. Its the first time this detector has hit our ground and it just needs a little tweeking, The TDI pro had to be tweeked before it performed well here in Australia. :)

Roscoe,

Did you get a chance to try your SPP in the bad ground you mentioned?

Reg

Not Yet Reg, Got caught up with work around Home. Should have a chance to go out next weekend. Its a 1 hr drive from here to Gold area. You never know i might even sneak out one day this week. :)

Hi Reg, I usually search for gold around Oberon and Kandos, Central Tableands district of NSW. My SPP got conductivity switch mod and C42 shorted. I'm using White's 7.5" Mono coil . With this coil I don't experience much of hiccuping and when searching in low conductivity mode, practicaly none. That said, the GB is quite difficult to balance. However my bigest issue with SPP is the erratic behavior with DD COMMANDER coils. The fix with piece of flat lead taped on the coil helps but in some places I still can't GB.
I also use SPP in Western Sydney parks and sports ovals looking for the coins that are too deep for my other VLF detector. Ground mineralization vary there a lot. In some places if I put a magnet on the ground, it will be covered with bits of ironstone. Even there mono coil is reasonably well behaved and if using high or low conductivity mode I don't get hiccup. In All mode, occasionally, but not frequent enough to distribute me. But especially there in the parks I would like to use DD coils, because I'm looking for targets that are out of Pinpointer range and with Mono coil I have to digg big hole to find target.n
For me the hiccuping is not big issue because in the grounds I'm detecting it happens seldom. The DD coils and difficulty of Ground balancing is. I believe that hiccuping is bigger problem for guys from Victoria as the ground is more mineralized there.
Karl

One concern brought up is how do you know you are not ignoring gold when you adjust the GB so it balances out the hottest ground or hotrock and then operate in all or low.

First, for all practical purposes, most gold will not be ignored in the all mode simply because of the design. Unfortunately, the design does have its imperfections on any ground balancing PI including the TDI. No PI will find all gold with one setting of the detector and the SPP is no exception. Any gold that mimics the ground signal will or could be ignored. So, if this is a concern, then tweak the GB a little and the gold that was ignored, now becomes visible.

Since most gold found is small, under 1/4 oz, then generally there is nothing to worry about. So, knowing more about the gold and size of gold can clearly help as much as knowing the detector. In fact, there are now several videos out that clearly display how even how a high priced PI can ignore gold just by changing "timings".

The nice thing about the SPP is once one learns how gold could be ignored and how to overcome much of the problems then places that are beat to death can be searched again using slightly different techniques and increase the possibility of finding something left behind.

So, adjusting the detector to just ignore the hotspots in the ground will allow a much faster search of an area because one isn't always getting stuck trying to figure out if a hotspot is ground noise or deep gold. At the same time, most detectable gold will be heard.

Then there is the size of the target and what would normally be a gold signal. Knowing when high or low tones will be generated on the gold in the area being hunted is also a recommendation.

Don't expect this little low priced PI to compete in depth with a detector costing 3 to 5 times as much. That would be utterly stupid to do. On the other hand, for 1/5 the price, the ease of use in adverse areas plus very decent depth makes the SPP look really good.

The bottom line is the ideal SPP will be reasonably easy to ground balance in most areas, run with a super smooth threshold as the norm, have very respectable depth, be easy to tweak for the ground conditions, and of course, be light weight.

Reg

PS: Now, I would like this to be the last post on this hiccup reduction mod project or the subject for that matter. So, to one of the moderators, please close closed this thread to further posts on the subject. The reason will become self explanatory soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts