I'm Back And Have Some Great Finds!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tailormarc said:
MegsyB007 said:
Hi Marc, what a great site!

The old cordwainers (shoemakers) used to measure the foot of the person for whom they were making the shoes, then would cut and whittle out a rough wooden block about the same size, to use as the shoe form. That's what you found. It's called a cordwainer's form.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/13534/1565184428_cordwainer_form.jpg

Cheers,
Megsy

Cheers mate, only difference is mine is iron, still the same thing?

Is it part of one of these, an old three way cast shoe last.
1565335406_image.jpg

Still picking up some good stuff there , Tailormarc.

The square nails i get are usually very rusty ,but the ones you got look in pretty good nick.

You must have an eclectic collection in your showcase .

Keep up the good work .

FOZ

just starting said:

The square nails i get are usually very rusty ,but the ones you got look in pretty good nick.

Keep up the good work .

FOZ

Cheers mate, yep the last time i went there for a good 4 hours i got nothing at all so its a long way to go for not too much, will be the odd thing still there but its time to start more research for new areas and permissions. Yeah i have a hell of a collection, only prob is that its all boxed up untill i clean spare room and make a display.
The nails are copper or brass , im going to start keeping them from now on, i had no idea they are collectable

tailormarc said:
just starting said:

Keep up the good work .

FOZ

Cheers mate, yep the last time i went there for a good 4 hours i got nothing at all so its a long way to go for not too much, will be the odd thing still there but its time to start more research for new areas and permissions. Yeah i have a hell of a collection, only prob is that its all boxed up untill i clean spare room and make a display.
The nails are copper or brass , im going to start keeping them from now on, i had no idea they are collectable

Copper nails for memory were favoured by roof slaters and tilers as the copper resists rusts. Some were used in boat building as well.

I had no idea those nails were valuable ,either. Mine must be made of iron because they are all rusty.

I keep a mental note of where i find the nails and also anything else to get a picture in my head of what structures or machinery might have been working the areas i go to. One place i went to ages ago had cast iron buried all over the forest ,so alot of machinery was obviously used there . This all helps with the research to determine where i should be looking the next time i go there.

I like the florin. A good pick up.

FOZ

Back out to the WW2 location, all fun and games until we found loads and loads of 1940-1943 .303 bullets a bomb fuse and a few other dangerous items. All handed to Police. Bomb fuse was safe so i kept that
Untitled by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Nice .50 cal projectile...