I done a Todd Hoffman!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brother

Rob Tingay
Reaction score
Well after a full day of filling buckets with my wife, I thought Ide try something different, and went messing with pump to up water speed and increase load!

Only to blow 4 buckets straight out the hibanker!! Pan tailings to find quite a bit of colour, but moved tailings everywhere to keep up with flow! FFS!!! :mad:

So I did my first Todd Hoffman! :8

How many Hoffmans have you done? :rolleyes:

Those that have seen Gold rush will know what I mean! lol

Some people may be doing that regularly without knowing! I dread the day that excitement turns to disbeleif...going ass over tit while holding the final pan for the day and loosing everything. I've already lost my first vial of gold....had it as my lucky charm in my pocket and got to work, felt the pocket and it was gone. If anyone found a vial of gold flakes in a car park somewhere in Chatswood, its mine!

Peter

well i know what your talking about. I have a gold vial with different size gold from flour to 1 gram nuggets. i always run this through my sluice then check the tailings. i run it into a large plastic tub then pan it out to see how much im losing. i never change my water flow or anything once im catching most of the gold. so far my vial hasnt gotten any smaller so i think im getting 98 percent. Id love to make a tv show here for the discovery channel... i recon us aussies wouldnt be as stupid as todd..eben though i love the shows ..

Some kid probably thought it was glitter and now it adorns some kids school project somewhere around Chatswood. Little do they know..."..

Must admit that I didn't know who Todd Hoffman is.
I had to google him. Just from what I have just read I think you need to make a fairly monumental error. Seems this Todd chap makes a fair amount of them and is described as an idiot.
I have serious doubts anyone here is in the same class.
I have only been prospecting again for the last 2 months (after many years break) so give me a chance, i'm sure I will get a nomination. :lol:

CW

Yes, I admit I've done a Todd! :8
I put a vile of flower gold with some pickers in my work bag to show some guys at work who didn't believe I was a prospector and I was getting gold.
When I got to work and searched in the bag, full of junk, all I could find was the lid with the broken neck attached.
Most of it was in the bag but some had fallen through a small hole in the corner.
The next problem was how to get it back :(
I decided the best option was to use my cordless vacuum and forensically clean the inside of the bag and also the passengers seat in the car where it normally travels and the floor under my bench at work.
Now my bag is normally under my bench at work and I do a lot of cutting and grinding and drilling so consequently the bag had a lot of metal in there, steel, aluminium and stainless which I didn't know about until I had to pan the contents out.
Anyway after the headache of panning it out I found the hardest thing to separate flower gold from is stainless steel chips.
What a nightmare! Much harder than black sand.
I got most of the gold back and it was the best clean up I have ever had! :D

There must be a moral there somewhere! :rolleyes:

Cheers
Mick

Coyote said:
Must admit that I didn't know who Todd Hoffman is.
I had to google him. Just from what I have just read I think you need to make a fairly monumental error. Seems this Todd chap makes a fair amount of them and is described as an idiot.
I have serious doubts anyone here is in the same class.
I have only been prospecting again for the last 2 months (after many years break) so give me a chance, i'm sure I will get a nomination. :lol:

CW

Well said!! :lol:

Yea its not that bad. I love the shows, (Sorry Todd, no offence mate!) ;)

Ill have too watch my Vials now!

hahaha :lol:

To be a true Todd, you also need to whinge about not spending enough time actually mining, then call a meeting which stops everyone from working to discuss why you aren't spending enough time mining. Annoying!

found a pocket last year and took two blokes down to the soit, we were getting around a gram per half bucket of mud. during the final run with the highbanker one of my mates rested hes shovel on the highbanker and tipped it over :( unfortunately it was hes first time out and hes natural reaction was to pick it straight back up befire turnjng the pump off. after watching a huge wave wash the thing clean I did a final cleanout anyway and still had 3.5 grams hate to think what we coujd have had. :8

I did a Hoffman today.
Met up with my mum, sis and nephew for coffee.
Took in my vial of the first, and only, gold I have found so far to show them.
Left it on the table at the restaurant. :8
Luckily they found it and I will pick it up later.

Latest posts