How you going in this Heat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wishfull said:
Temp has droped to 22 outside now at 22:15 still 31 inside. You Scotts have very short days.
Magoo. How can you stand that cold factor ! ?

Some of the Scot's still wear Kilts and the tough ones don't wear draws under them :eek: Lol.

At Kadina today it reached 45 Wishful. Only good thing about that is it isnt going to stay up for a fortnight like it has in the past. But its too hot out with the detectors no matter where you go.
Ill wait a few weeks get some more research done and get ready for my annual to the GT.

Itll be cooler then.

Temp has droped to 22 outside now at 22:15 still 31 inside. You Scotts have very short days.
Magoo. How can you stand that cold factor ! ?

Aye! It's chilly to what you blokes have got. If it reaches mid twenties my daughters are looking for the thermals. The humidity is the killer 90% at the moment. You get lots of funny things growing in some funny places because of it. Jock itch is common and many blokes carry Vaseline for chaff.
Very nerve wracking when you get out on a boat with a heap of blokes you have met for the first time and they all pull out the vaso!

I'm in the mid north coast of NSW ATM, days around 29-31, but so much cooler than Darwin's 31, in the morning, its actually cold for me, and driving home from dinner the other night, my daughter actually asked me to put the heater on in the car, lol! She's 8yo.

For the record, I'm not complaining about the weather! I'm loving it!

Wishfull said:
Ridge Runner I see you have some fairly strong winds heading your way soon....150 kph or so ?

Yeah what ever America gets we get a lesser version about a week later, Last week we saw temps drop to -19*c in places and here today it's 10*c+ with 20kph winds, yet 2 days ago I had 120kph winds, This winter I have tested a lot of cold weather gear and one thing I noticed is that our fingers start to ache when they get cold and that always happens when our finger skin temp is between 16.7*c and 14.7*c and although the backs of your fingers feel very cold due to the lack of flesh it is actually the pads of your fingers that seem the coldest when measured. So if you feel your hands or fingers start to stiffen up or ache then that is the warning sign to cover your hands, this is not always noticeable in strong winds until it's too late, so people need to always be aware of that,

When your fingers start to drop in temp that is the first sign that your body is over riding your blood flow and restricting the blood flow in order to keep blood supplies for vital organs being the main body and the Head, The old saying of "If you have cold feet put on a hat" is very true because the body looses about 20% of its heat through the top of your head, Keep your bodies Core and head warm and your fingers and toes will stay warmer longer. cold fingers and toes are the first sign that your body is not as warm as it should be and telling you that your clothing is not up to scratch for the conditions.

These large temp swings we have seen this past week or so is why so many people die over here because the go out dressed for the 10* warmer days and get caught out, I have seen all 4 seasons in one day and If you take that -19* and add on the 150kph wind then you end up with a wind chill of -40.8*c, And here is what can happen,

Quote:-

-40C to -47C (-40F to -52.6F): High Risk of Frostbite of Exposed Skin in 5 to 10 Minutes (Even Less if Winds Are Sustained Over 50km/h (31 miles/h)

Adequate protection from the elements is absolutely essential at this point as the risk of frostbite as well as hypothermia are imminent if exposure is prolonged without adequate protection and shelter. Outdoor activities should be engaged in at least pairs if not groups in order to check each other's faces for possible signs of frostbite.

I think I'll put up with 40c + even though I don't like the heat, supposed to be 42 here on the weekend.
The cold temperatures you are talking about sounds unbearable. It makes you wonder how people back centuries ago in Scotland used to survive.

Wishfull said:
I think I'll put up with 40c + even though I don't like the heat, supposed to be 42 here on the weekend.
The cold temperatures you are talking about sounds unbearable. It makes you wonder how people back centuries ago in Scotland used to survive.

Well you need to be careful if you prospect in the up in the hills in Aus too, Say you have about 16*c during the day and about 10*c during the night on the weather forecast, thing is it is always colder in the bush,

So you go prospecting in the hills at 6000 feet, now you have 16* in the day and a low of 10* at Sea Level or less at night, "But" for every 1000 feet you go up you get a 0.6*c/1*f drop in temperature, so at night your 10* is now 6.4* and if you have a 35kph wind that gives you a temp of 1.5*c or make that a 35mph wind and the temp is now 0.3*c. Or a low temp of -4*c with a 35mph wind will put you in -14*c, So just because Aus is a warm place it is very easy to under estimate the conditions.

J.

39 in Adelaide again today, some cooler weather due this week so I can get out there a few nights after work.

Give me rain over heat any day, I don't mind getting drenched, detecting in the heat really takes it out of me though

I won't go out if it's over 35

38 here today which is ok if its dry but we got 40 % humidity which isnt very nice. Gonna have to light the fire on tuesday, supposed to be only 17 Crazy vic weather.

Yep hot at my place as well didn't bother checking it, mid to high 30's with RH up around 40% as well. Didn't bother me to much until I had to don the long strides boots and sleeves with welding gloves to catch a baby brown snake in the converted (to a teenagers retreat) carport, was looking for a cool place or mice / rat's. Teenagers retreat that turns the rest of the house into a parents retreat :D. Anyway after moving the teenage pile of rubble so some furniture could be moved I found the little bugger in a cavity behind some shelving. Just as I was moving the last piece of shelving the little mongrel found a gap in the plaster and took off to the underside of the room. The only reason I wasn't able to grab it was the gloves allowed his tiny tail to slip through the gap that welding gloves create. All good though it leads to outside and I've now sealed the gap. Was only about 350mm/400mm long and skinny enough to fit. I reckon I lost about a litre of fluid I was perspiring that much :N: so now I'm at the pub for a meal and fluid replacement :Y: :).

I worked today inserted into a confined space with warm hydraulic hoses all around me for 3 hours , oil everywhere , 30 Celsius outside and humidity from 55 - 79 % .

I sweated so much my clothes were entirely soaked , they couldnt have been more wet if you dipped them into a bucket of water.

3 hours doing that , then 7 hours more work , stripped down to my undies and stood outside with the firehose wetting myself down for 10 minutes.

Cold water never felt so good.

Got home and the missus had been shopping ...for ice cream . Bless her

Ice cream never tasted so good. :party:

The things we do for a crust ~ ~ :8

Latest posts