How we used to do things.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup..I was allowed back in the day an air rifle..
I think the first was a .177 but moved on to better gear when I reached 14...

Then had Class A, B and C... but taken away.. (dont get me started on the conspirisy...)
Kept ferrets.. lots of nets.. sold rabbits to the butcher for gawd knows how much!

Now... I just play with my toys...

1597843103_20200710_132757.jpg

greyhound said:
Hard Luck said:
Penny bungers. 1 Cent each at the milk bar. Mini dynamite. They'd be 6-7 of us and pool our resources. Sometimes we would have enough dosh to get 100 of them. Spend all day in the park letting them off.
Ii wonder how that would go down today? :lol: :lol:
A penny bunger inserted into a head stem of a bike or a piece of pipe and some marbles,now that's a lethal weapon :cool:

errmmm..nah we were just good kids, Never did anything like that :cool:

Nightjar said:
Hard Luck said:
errmmm..nah we were just good kids, Never did anything like that :cool:

Hey Hardluck? :playful: Maybe you are suggesting a few letter boxes distorted by penny bungers. :lol:

nah Nightjar O:) as mentioned we were good kids :(

What about playing brandy with the cricket ball? I remember once that went through a Greek woman's front window...geez did she give chase with the broom for ages.

She lived in the same St as most of the kids and our parents gave us a decent flogging for that one. Taught us to go to the park and throw a cricket ball at each other :lol:

OzzieAu said:
Yep RM, I can remember riding my tredley up into the foothills of Adelaide with my .22 rifle across the handlebars.
Would come home with a few rabbits for mum to cook up.
Ah, the good ol days hey.. :perfect:

Found some of your slugs, Adr

Lived in Durlacher street that had a steep incline, all the boys had home built hill trolleys with pram wheels. We would career down the hill and finish in a vacant block at the bottom. We crossed the Gt Northern Hwy into Geraldton, how one of us never got squashed is a miracle.
I set to work and instead of the usual rope in each hand to steer, mounted a steering wheel (Scrounged from rubbish tip where we got all the pram wheels.) on a broom stick with the steering ropes wrapped around it. (Wrong configuration. :awful: )
The problem being, that wasn't solved for some time. Turn the steering wheel right to go left and vice versa.
Lots of rollovers and skin missing when other kids had a run down the hill.

Hard Luck said:
What about playing brandy with the cricket ball? I remember once that went through a Greek woman's front window...geez did she give chase with the broom for ages.
:lol:

Stealing watermelons from an Italian market garden (there son was with us :lol: ) A mate copped a load of saltpetre in his butt from irate owner who chased us, we fell about laughing later when his brother was picking the bits out with tweezers.

Those were the days for sure, harmless fun, nothing serious.
If you got into a punch up and one when down, you usually helped the other up and no grudge remained.
Not like the gutless cowards today, three or four onto one and putting the boot in or the "coward" punch.

Nightjar said:
If you got into a punch up and one when down, you usually helped the other up and no grudge remained.
Not like the gutless cowards today, three or four onto one and putting the boot in or the "coward" punch.

Yeah, Things are bad today.
Every kid is wrapped in cotton wool. We used to throw darts at each other and shoot at each other with the less powerful slug gun.
Rules were strictly below the belt and no aiming for the groin area. If you breached the rules it was a knuckle punch to the upper bicep from the whole group. Or a stacks on.
I remember someone throwing a bigger than normal sized dart at me and it got me square in the shin on my right leg. He got stacks on for using an oversized dart.

You also got a stacks on if you asked for a bite of someones pie and you took more :lol:

Geez...how did we survive.

Hardluck,
We survived because we didn't use the s**t they inject, smoke, swallow today. (We used to pool our pocket money and buy a pack of ten fags, usually Peter Stuyvesant and enjoy a puff)
Drinking age was 21 but as we all know most of us began at 16yo, a older brother, mate bought a carton of "king browns" and we parked up somewhere and enjoyed.
The Sergeant (Bullneck) knew us all and if he came upon us parked up slurping our "kings" he would just say, "When you're finished that go home, if I find you haven't you'll be arrested!"
We went home! Respect always.

Nightjar said:
Hard Luck said:
:lol:

Stealing watermelons from an Italian market garden (there son was with us :lol: ) A mate copped a load of saltpetre in his butt from irate owner who chased us, we fell about laughing later when his brother was picking the bits out with tweezers.

Used to exactly the same thing, in the fields where they grew!
Put one under each arm, and jump into the river and float down stream with the current, got away with it the first few times, until the farmer found our exit point! OUCH!Reckon I was about 12 years old lol.

We used to catch cane toads, tie some fishing line around one of their legs, and a big steel nut or a sinker to the end of the line, then throw them on to peoples tin roofs! Must have driven them mad as the hopped along the tin dragging the nut or sinker behind them!

These days the kids around here do break and enters, steal the car keys if they find them, and go joy riding.....

One thing We must remember ...
The Greater Percentage of us grew up ....
When there was no TV....Computers.....No Atari ... No Play Stations....
We Had Fun Made up Games and Things to do....
Shanghai / Ging / Sling Shot fights with rocks or marbles...
Cracker Night with all sorts of stuff that is definitely frowned upon today
Shit we used to play Cowboys and Indians on Horse Back Diving onto the other bloke and pulling him of the horse its a wonder we werent badly injured but we were just kids having fun....
When I think back I often wonder how we survived...

Used to play in the tea tree swamp at the end of our street. Ticks were a regular item, how we never got done by a snake I"ll never know. Sling shots (also called gonks) Catching tadpoles frogs and crawchies (yabbies), didn't bother about the eels. We also had a hill so the billy cart races were a regular event and cricket in the middle of the road. Penny bungers, the trick was to light them hang on to them long enough to throw them into a bucket of water and have it still explode. When money was available, buy some balsa wood (it was cheap in those days) make simple gliders with a lit bunger and throw it off the backyard shed roof to see it explode in mid air. Yup, and the water pipe with marbles. If you needed a bit of pocket money, sneak into the army rifle range and dig the bullets out of the stop-butts and sell them to the scrap metal man, maybe you could call that fossicking without a detector (early style)?.

Latest posts