How much do you put through your highbanker a day?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am averaging about 23 x 20kg buckets a day. Close to 460kg a day by myself.

Just wonder what everyone else's does?

Rickd said:
How much gold do you average?

About 1/2 to 1/4 of what Diggerdude pulls. My guess maybe 0.5g.

I have to start earlier. Winter means by around 4pm you lose so much light.

Will try and do 1 tonne a day.

I don't know for sure. I don't weigh it but it seems plenty much the same where I am going.

There is a place down the river 600m that is recorded as having better yield but there is not an access road.

There are some huge boulders here that I am sure would yield some results but I am working the same location +/- 100m each time. Lots of bedrock in this location. Gold was located pretty much everywhere including the terraces where there is an old river bed. It's State Forest in NSW. South Coast.

1376904672_photo1.jpg

1376904694_photo2.jpg

1376904723_photo3.jpg

If I am not getting over 1g for the day I move spots ( my day is probably only about 5 hours of actual digging ), sometimes you get more, sometimes less.
Our expenses are about $350-400 per week (fuel, food, beer, smokes) so at least 1g per day is needed to cover expenses.
When working out the allowed tonnage on a lease the mines dept say to use 1.8t per cubic meter, I think this is a bit high so I average it to 1.2t per cubic meter.

DD

1 gram a day would be a dream for me, the river looks like a good spot Red, trouble with rock, its hard to move without some serious equipment, have you tried block and tackle or windlass the big ones?

I will try a few techniques when I get out for a more than a day... Lots of rocks on a creek I go to that could use some moving...

good luck out there guys and gals

Cheers, Tone

2 of us on the HB run around 2.5T per day in good going.
8.hr day including wash up.
1.5g on average.....so around .75g each per day not so good eh.
Refined our wash out since start of winter......different matting new pans/magnets......etc
So assuming we would have been loosing some whilst panning cons it would be a lot better.
We actually get higher yields crevicing.

So assuming we would have to move 1.2t per day at 1g per ton = 30t to the ounce
Yeah i can do that.

I might do from 0.5 to 1 cubic metres in 2 hours but its never non stop shovelling

There is always interruptions from old dead tree roots to slowly dig under or remove ,boulders to roll away , turning off the pump to check the sluice each time I start digging from another spot , stopping to crevice , going for a snack , taking rocks out of my shoe . . .

Depends on the ground I am in but so far I didn't get anywhere near a gram for a day despite my best intentions and the work ethic of my shovel .

It's not like I am lazy or anything . I have shovelled up to 20 tonnes per day of blue metal when working for a builder many moons ago , messy ground is just slow :/

There are many large rocks. I have heard that someone found a nugget here sometime ago under one of these rocks.

Would be worth moving some large boulders. I am thinking to dig out one of the big boulders and see what happens with the wash through the Highbanker.

@Tenounce. I will look up how to move boulders with block tackle.

Yep, need to shovel more volume but the ground can be tricky. Probably should put it straight into the HB instead of buckets.

Jezz Headsup. 20 ton a day is an effort mate.
Redmanti there is a darcy cooper vid showing how to move a boulder.. lift.. put rocks under.. lift.. rocks. rinse repeat till its out the way. use gravity to your advantage and work bolders down hill. dig low side ot first and then work up side.. just be careful your not in the way when it moves

TenOunce Tone said:
Jezz Headsup. 20 ton a day is an effort mate.
Redmanti there is a darcy cooper vid showing how to move a boulder.. lift.. put rocks under.. lift.. rocks. rinse repeat till its out the way. use gravity to your advantage and work bolders down hill. dig low side ot first and then work up side.. just be careful your not in the way when it moves

Thanks 10 Oz Tone , I worked like a steam train on red cordial most of my life , 20 tonne was my record but that stuff is easy to shovel.

Re rocks , a heavy 6 foot pry bar is the go for me , the thin ones from buntings are a waste of time so you have to watch garage sales or a farmers co-op sometimes has the real deal too , got to look after your back :|

My god,1gm per ton just proves how much we love fossicking and not in it for the money!
Im new to this game and im surprised at the passion the other diggers here have
for a few bits of gold'me included'.
The banker's eat it if you can feed them, and we all dream of easy pay dirt to shovel.
1.8 metric ton per meter of gravel is about right,with a 6+4 trailer holding half a meter max
is at its back breaking limit.
I was wondering how many realise how much 3 to 4 meters is!
Imagine a 5 ton dump truck backing up to your banker ! Well
i guess you'll be moving a lot of tailings out of the way.
My record was 8 ton of sand into a mixer keeping up to 12 brick layers
on a really big day! I was 20 with a 6pack and all the guys were impressed
with that effort, oh the pile of sand was big.

G'day

Between 20-40 20lt buckets a day per man once we're on the spot.
For boulders I make a come-along out of a couple of long ratchet straps looped around the boulder and a strong tree.

cheers

Chimpy

From research i have done a lot of sampling done by mining companies indicat an average of 0.3 - 3g per ton so you are in the zone with your 1.4 g. the old timers faired no better. its all abot volume and finding the sweet spots

dezman said:
My god,1gm per ton just proves how much we love fossicking and not in it for the money!
Im new to this game and im surprised at the passion the other diggers here have
for a few bits of gold'me included'.
The banker's eat it if you can feed them, and we all dream of easy pay dirt to shovel.
1.8 metric ton per meter of gravel is about right,with a 6+4 trailer holding half a meter max
is at its back breaking limit.
I was wondering how many realise how much 3 to 4 meters is!
Imagine a 5 ton dump truck backing up to your banker ! Well
i guess you'll be moving a lot of tailings out of the way.
My record was 8 ton of sand into a mixer keeping up to 12 brick layers
on a really big day! I was 20 with a 6pack and all the guys were impressed
with that effort, oh the pile of sand was big.

Digging and twisting around to toss a shovel full in the mixer is excellent for abs'

I wish I had those muscles now :(

I think the best result comes when you get into an uninterrupted rhythm , and of course reading the ground to put yourself in the right spot and right depth

I still have plenty to learn here

Latest posts