How do you set up a sluice?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aussiedigs said:
It was suggested to me to run a bit of fine grooved matting up front so the mat i had in the back of the ute now has a section missing! I didnt think of it at the time but a comment I received was it was tread off the side boards off an old VW beetle!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...9944_89344675-fa4d-428a-aff3-37a4de0c47ad.jpg

I will eventually make an extension with the likes of miners moss and maybe riffles. I have some alum that would be ideal as an extension, otherwise i might just make another sluice altogether.

I have a couple of square feet of it that I peeled off the top of my welder. You often see it on the top of tool boxes too. Not sure if Bunnings has it. I'll have a look next time I'm in there.

Baz.

Tried it in the river today. Frustratingly difficult. Water has a flow, but just too flat and wide. I can't dam the whole river. I'll have to find a spot much further up wher there might be a drop.

I suggest getting a bolt on extension flare made up. Mine is 600mm wide at the top with a 50mm lip facing down to scoop even more water.
1.6mm alloy is plenty.

1559800849_20181118_011115.jpg

Example

Regarding dream mat.... flow is more crucial than angle. With conventional riffles you need the low pressure point behind them spot on.
The vortex swirling motion in the cells isn't caused by angle, it's FLOW/ VOLUME. Totally Different concept!
yes angle helped by gravity and flow aids in the evacuation lighter material, but there is no immediate low pressure point as with conventional riffles.
Even stalling (out of fuel) or stopping a high banker with a pump and conventional riffles can blow out material + gold due to a sudden loss of low pressure!!!
Fact/opinion/debatable!
To me.... a fact
Im up for a debate!!!!
:lol:

BrendonW said:
Does anybody have any issue or solution for tailings building up at the base of a river sluice. I get a build up at the end and keep pushing it away with my hand. If I dont do anything, it messes with the last couple of cells of the dream mat

Mate thats an indication that the lower end of your sluice is too deep in the water. Kimd of like a car smashing into a sound barrier everything gets chewed up and drops out of suspension. If you slowly lift the bottom end till material clears freely and jam a rock up under your sluice to hold that position youll be sweet mate

mudgee hunter said:
Regarding dream mat.... flow is more crucial than angle. With conventional riffles you need the low pressure point behind them spot on.
The vortex swirling motion in the cells isn't caused by angle, it's FLOW/ VOLUME. Totally Different concept!
yes angle helped by gravity and flow aids in the evacuation lighter material, but there is no immediate low pressure point as with conventional riffles.
Even stalling (out of fuel) or stopping a high banker with a pump and conventional riffles can blow out material + gold due to a sudden loss of low pressure!!!
Fact/opinion/debatable!
To me.... a fact
Im up for a debate!!!!
:lol:
You are 100% correct mate the angle actually dictates the cleaning/clearing function . Mire angle more aggressive clearing means you can feed faster and clear faster but ideally you amgke to suit yiur feed rates. Velocity drives the cells so theres no hard and fast perfect amgle it will change day to day river to river.

Cheers, and feed ratio is important too. Once you become familiar with your sluice, in time.... you will understand and you will know how to make the required adjustments to the environment you are dealing with. Flow, angle and even the type of material you are feeding can vary things. Eg, the shoalhaven is very sandy say....
This can can vary your feed rate compared to a stickier material found else where. Even the angle and flow needed may change from place to place.

Hey Sandbagger,

I also recently got Gold Rat and saw they have leg kits that with a few drilled holes fits all of their sluice's. The legs will allow you to situate the sluice in a river in about 80cm depth :)

@Aussiedigs thanks for the Bunnings link :) saved me a bit of Googling.

Latest posts