Homemade metal detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone had a go at a home made detector before? A mate of mine who is great with electronics, I have 2 circuitboards on their way from talkingelectronics (I think) as I can't really afford much more than that at the moment $15 each board, I don't really have enough to hire a detector and sure don't have enough for a guided gold hunt.

If it means much to you it will be a BFO detector, are these any less accurate at all? The circuitboard is for all metals as well, I am going to scatter some nuts, ringpulls and what have you around the yard before I head on out to Warwick to go hunting, as I live near a beach I might even take it for a walk around there too.

Any experiences you have had I would love to hear of them.

Cheers

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Try this site there's even a few pulse induction units to make' very interesting you will have to sign up and can take a while to join.
http://www.geotech1.com/forums/forum.php

Thanks for that, I jumped on to have a look, one of the threads I wanted to look at you have to be a user, I need to wait for them to sign me up as they have restricted Hotmail accounts.

Cheers mate

I got the nephew a cheep jay-car detector that has packed it in now' so I was going to build a simple metal detector (BFO-BI) with him helping and mount it into the unit using the same coil or housing so far I havnt found a kit but still looking'

I actually have a Garret BFO detector. LOL.
Has 1 Big ring on the coil and 1 small one for pin pointing.
And yes, I have found coins and brass, copper, etc.
I think they used to call them a "Motor Boat".
If set fine enough I am told they can find a tobacco tin at about 5 feet.
I did set it up and holey smokes, Hit a bit of rusty iron just under the surface and it would scream at you. LOL
"Dit "Dit" "Dit" ------ SCREEAAAM.
Oh the joy. PMSL

If you read the latest GG&T magazine some bloke has built a PI detector from the kit supplied by the mob in LazyTrommel link. I had a look and am very tempted to have a crack.

Lazy Trommel, do you think those PI kits would be worth doing?

CHeers

Cheers lazy' that's what I'm after! It's going to be funny to see a $50 jaycar detector finding coins at 10" deep lol.
I might do a thread on the build as it's still cheeper to buy a jaycar detector for the coil housing and box to mount the PI build into.

MJB said:
If you read the latest GG&T magazine some bloke has built a PI detector from the kit supplied by the mob in LazyTrommel link. I had a look and am very tempted to have a crack.

Lazy Trommel, do you think those PI kits would be worth doing?

CHeers

I've built multiple Surf PI 1.2 kits, they're fun and simple to build, if you google surf PI 1.2 you'll find a great step by step guide..
I also had a crack at the hammerhead, and barra... both work but took quite a bit of fiddling..

they work nicely if you get the coil right.

I saw he has a guide on how to make the coil. It seems simple enough but me being an electronics numpty that little circuit board scares the crapout of me.

I might have to think a bit more :8

Cheers

G'day guys

Well, as I am not going to be the master constructor for this project I will do my best to do a photo guide as to what was done, I will do my best to make it as informative as possible, as I said up further, I don't know how much I will find but, it will be fun either way.

MJB, the circuit board scared the crap out of me too, for me it was a matter of finding a friend who dabbles in electronics who would have the gear as well to make one, I will try and pay close attention to this part for you, might be as easy as going down to an electronics store with the list of parts, by the sounds of it, it wouldn't cost much, then I think it is a matter of soldering all into place as directed.

TenOunce Tone, I can't wait to get my circuit board and get assembling, I shall let everyone know how it goes, when it is together and running, I am going to get the missus to scatter a few coins around our (tiny strip of grass in our dungheap of an estate) and will see if I can find them, I will even try to con her into hiding a gold ring or something else gold (I know they are alloys, but closest we have at this stage)....

Cheers
HH

look forward to seeing your progress HunterHarvey...you can be the guinea pig on this one :D

Cheers

Yes, absolutely, more than happy to be the guinea pig on affordable detecting MJB :) get the results posted up before anyone else decides to give it a crack unless it is an interest of course :)

HH

Hi HunterHarvey

Great idea to build your own detector. I've recently built one myself - the Surf Pi 1.2. Haven't tried it out in the field, however air tested it at home with some coins. I got quite a lot of interference from the TV and metal objects in the house, but it seemed to work well picking up a coin at a maximum of close to 30cm.
I look forward to hearing more about your project and how the BFO detector works.
Cheers

Built a unit that I got from the states on ebay and it's a surf pi pro kit .works a treat don't be scared of coils mate easy as just make sure you shield it with foil and it will make it more stable.i used the one on ebay because it was easier to build than silver dogs kit ,much more room on the board and it has some extra features .just Google pi metal detector kit ebay .Dr :)

Latest posts