Can someone please explain these holes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G’day everyone,

This is my first time posting I’ve been lurking for a minute now since I started my detector journey 8 months ago, I have learnt a lot and have had a lot of questions answered thanks to this forum so thank you!

Since going out bush I have seen a lot of interesting things which I am very grateful this hobby has allowed me to do but 1 thing keeps showing up and I cannot wrap my head around what is going on I’ve had a quick search and cannot find anything this is probably very obvious to most of you.

I’m prospecting around Kalgoorlie and I keep finding these big holes which I assume are old dig holes of some kind but I don’t understand why the soil is usually completely different to what I’d expect it to be could possibly be from an animal? The bottom layer is what I’d expect but on-top of that which is the majority it’s almost like mulch?

2603EF3F-F308-4D49-8581-58D6B5D38D6F.jpeg
Hopefully someone can enlighten me,

Cheers.

That's nothing to do with mining/human activities at all mate, it's a malleefowl mound. I lived in Kal for many years and saw them often in the goldfields environs. If you have a close look at the mulchlike leaf litter/soil material, you should see some shell fragments left by hatched chicks.

Fantastic birds, how they manage to survive and breed out there in such a harsh climate, with numerous feral cats, wild dogs, foxes, crows, etc., is almost incomprehensible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleefowl

Mallee fowl nest.
Helped on a mallee fowl survey down near Ongerup quite a few years ago now, and It was surprising how many old mounds we found down there.
We also had the privelige of seeing one while a bird was actively tending it.
The eggs are laid in the middle and they patiently build up the soil and litter over them. The decaying litter produces heat to keep the eggs warm. They then frequently check the temperature of the mound to ensure it’s just the right hatching temperature by scratching away or building up more litter.
The one in the picture would originally have had a lot more litter mixed with the soil but that appears to have rotted away causing the hole in the middle.
A fabulous native bird. ”Care and Patience” would be their motto. Something as prospectors we could adopt.

That's nothing to do with mining/human activities at all mate, it's a malleefowl mound. I lived in Kal for many years and saw them often in the goldfields environs. If you have a close look at the mulchlike leaf litter/soil material, you should see some shell fragments left by hatched chicks.

Fantastic birds, how they manage to survive and breed out there in such a harsh climate, with numerous feral cats, wild dogs, foxes, crows, etc., is almost incomprehensible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleefowl
Mallee fowl nest.
Helped on a mallee fowl survey down near Ongerup quite a few years ago now, and It was surprising how many old mounds we found down there.
We also had the privelige of seeing one while a bird was actively tending it.
The eggs are laid in the middle and they patiently build up the soil and litter over them. The decaying litter produces heat to keep the eggs warm. They then frequently check the temperature of the mound to ensure it’s just the right hatching temperature by scratching away or building up more litter.
The one in the picture would originally have had a lot more litter mixed with the soil but that appears to have rotted away causing the hole in the middle.
A fabulous native bird. ”Care and Patience” would be their motto. Something as prospectors we could adopt.

That’s incredible and also explains the image below! I was a little spooked not knowing what made this I could see claw marks in the dirt so I stayed away, what a cool animal. Glad I can appreciate their handy work now instead of wondering if I’ve stumbled across a shallow grave or randomly placed dig holes haha.

Cheers fellas I appreciate the info!

I’m going to spend some time googling but do you guys have any recommendations on a website, book etc that I can read up on what other animals call the bush around Kal home?
D9986B1B-96BC-4623-B388-1F4EF8F144DF.jpeg

There's actually a little book that I co-authored, called Common Birds of Kalgoorlie-Boulder (ISBN: 0 646 204521, published by the Goldfields Naturalists Club, 1995). There may still be copies available somewhere like the Tourist Centre or at least a copy in the public library, I guess.

I don't know what may be available regarding Goldfields animals and insects - you could try the above places and see whether there's anything available.

That’s incredible and also explains the image below! I was a little spooked not knowing what made this I could see claw marks in the dirt so I stayed away, what a cool animal. Glad I can appreciate their handy work now instead of wondering if I’ve stumbled across a shallow grave or randomly placed dig holes haha.

I’m going to spend some time googling but do you guys have any recommendations on a website, book etc that I can read up on what other animals call the bush around Kal home?
View attachment 7379
Welcome to PA No Vanity, great 1st thread 👏 👌your question has educated more than yourself. Taking an interest in the location/environment your prospecting in provides the real value 👍Gold is a bonus along with the knowledge of the locals who are active on the forum 🍻

G’day everyone,

This is my first time posting I’ve been lurking for a minute now since I started my detector journey 8 months ago, I have learnt a lot and have had a lot of questions answered thanks to this forum so thank you!

Since going out bush I have seen a lot of interesting things which I am very grateful this hobby has allowed me to do but 1 thing keeps showing up and I cannot wrap my head around what is going on I’ve had a quick search and cannot find anything this is probably very obvious to most of you.

I’m prospecting around Kalgoorlie and I keep finding these big holes which I assume are old dig holes of some kind but I don’t understand why the soil is usually completely different to what I’d expect it to be could possibly be from an animal? The bottom layer is what I’d expect but on-top of that which is the majority it’s almost like mulch?

View attachment 7372
Hopefully someone can enlighten me,

Cheers.
When we lived on Mount Stradbroke between Brisbane and Toowoomba I had a large garden. One season I purchased 40 bales of mulch hay and spread it all over the garden beds.. Next morning it was all piled into two huge mounds by the hard working and committed scrub turkeys. We had fed them during the drought so our place was home to them. Mulching was always a challenge. One year I mulched around a nice tree I had planted. Had been finished about 20 minutes and a willy-willy came through and picked the whole lot up. Last seen around 1000 ft up and rising.. So there went $30 up in the air. Gardening can be fun. Cheers! David VK4DA

View attachment 7379
NV the mound under trees looks like dry blowing, Rocks in the foreground look like those from vents/fissures from the cooling down period. Common around Leonora district and maybe other.

Thanks for sharing the pics NV and for the info members. That's really interesting to see a picture of. I've heard of but never seen one, nor their nests as I'm not around where they are. Sounds like the Malleefowl you hardly ever see, have been seen by more than just malleeboys 😉. He he he (John Williamson song reference for clarification and attempt at a dad joke 😆).

Latest posts