History of The World Game

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was HMAS Australia. The 2 biplanes used were built by T.O.M. Sopwith.a platform was built on the fwd gun to facilitate the launch. The launches were successful
Sopwith was also famous for his Americas Cup challenges in J class yachts ,the biggest yachts to ever sail in cup races

Where could you buy cordage today ,made in the traditional way as it was since the days of Nelson.

Not what I have or was thinking off.

Some tv programs are made using this place as a location.

It goes further back in history than the Dutch works

The first historical record of utilization of the hemp plant for
its stem fiber comes from the Chinese, introduced by the Emperor Shen Nung
in the twenty-eighth century BC

It's not at the Historic Dockyard in Chatham is it?

1392287746_roperysecondaryimageweb.jpg

I was here watching this being made just last year in December whilst visiting...

Congratulations Eternalchase finally.

It's Chatham Dockyard's Ropery.

Meet the Midwives among others is filmed there.

Cordage is still made as it has been for centuries as you would know

Pete

mando had the correct answer before me, Master Ropemakers is the name of the group that produce the rope within the Historic Dockyard (it's also the first google result when you search "ropemakers Kent") ;)

There is a fantastic maritime Museum at the Dockyard, and a full sized World War II submarine you can walk through still suspended in the docks on the original trolley used to bring it out of the water...

Its all good E'chase was more intetested in if they were two different places

You have the next go :lol:

Ok, so next question is a little closer to home for most of us:

What single event sparked the Californian Gold Rush and by who?

mando1463 said:
Was my answer incorrect pete
Mando, sorry mate I didn't realise there was a rope company within the dockyard.
If this is the case you are the winner.
I got my info from the dockyard website & a mate who plays within a band that plays sea shanties there & on board the Cutty Sark at Greenwich
Once again my apologies to you & eternal
Pete

The California Gold Rush began at Sutter's Mill, near Coloma. On January 24, 1848 James W. Marshall, a foreman working for Sacramento pioneer John Sutter, found shiny metal in the tailrace of a lumber mill Marshall was building for Sutter on the American River.

Latest posts