History of The World Game

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charles Goodyear--invented -vulcanisation in the US where rubber was heated with sulphur making the rubber much more durable.
There was a lot of men playing around with the rubber process at the time
The English took seeds from Brazil to England then on to Malaya where they succeeded in causing the collapse of the rubber industry in Brazil.
Micheal Palins doco on tv the other night explained the story of the demise of Brazils rubber industry

What was the name of the ship from which the first aircraft was launched & the name of that aircraft type?

Bi plane, from a usa ship, but the name of which escapes me. There's a well known photo of the event, in which it appears the plane which looks much like the wright brothers style of machine is heading in a crushingly downward direction off a ships deck. It amazes me that in terms of flight that man had just become adept at flight and threw it off the deck of a ship! I don't mind giving a clue if someone can name that ship. Without google I'm going to have to sit here thinking about it...takes me back to cadet days.

No, sorry Slowflow.
If you were to look into the R.N. you would find the aircraft is British but the ship though British built was flagged under another nation.
No more clues--I fear I have given too much info already
Pete

Hmmm slow flow and i were on the same trail....i suspect now you mean catapult style "launch".

Launch date: 12/07/1849
Owner: Austrian Navy
Ship name: Vulcano
Aircraft type: Hot air balloon

Latest posts