Hill End / Hargraves water situation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnh001

John
Reaction score
Hi All

Any one been to Hill End over the last week or so. Going tomorrow with HB and detector to give us some options and would be good to know what to expect in the area.

Will probably be frequenting the pub Friday / Saturday night if any other prospective prospectors are out that way.

Regards John

By the looks of the weather radar I have answered my own question...might need to take a snorkel.

Should be a great chance of a very wet weekend up that way...and many other places.....music to the ears

G'day

If that rain doesn't come you won't be wet prospecting. It is parched around there at the moment. Hill End was down to a few sick puddles last time I was there and Hargreaves wasn't fairing much better. The trees are whistling to the dogs

Cheers

Chimpy

Was up at Hill End last weekend and it is dry as, although they may have scored some of this rain. Good luck.

Uncle Buck

Hi All

Back from Hill End / Hargraves, it rained all weekend but still had a good time.

Found some water about 50 metres away, needed to recycle the waterhole and the ground was set like concrete.

Lots of crowbar, pick work and bucket filling.

Breaking up the clay in the high banker was another chore but we got there in the end.

Lack of volume due to the excavation and transportation impacted on the outcome.

Need to do a cleanup so quantity of loot not known yet, but hopefully well over half a gram.

Good learning experience and copious beverage consumption rounded out the event.

Good gold area but NO WATER. Well not near the honey hole anyway. Made a huge difference in standard recovery. The honey hole was almost like drying concrete. There's gold in that creek but the clay was rock solid so heres a pic of the gold from 6 inches of tailings.

1392617533_mc2.jpg

Looking for gold with anticipation

1392617623_mc3.jpg

First cleanout after 4 buckets

1392617693_mc1testpan.jpg

And the best one of all......

The cheeky trick played on me by a bastard of a mate...while I was raking the banker this little beauty was chucked into my view. Not funny GUYS!

1392617834_mc4.jpg

Peter

Thats a nasty trick that , I met a guy in tuena who showed me a flat piece of rock about 6 inches square that he had found which was gold on one side , it looked impressive but it was very even coated on rock... I said well done good find... a couple of weeks later I met up with another guy in the same location and somehow the topic came up and I told him about this guy who had found a rock with gold on one side that he had found 8) .. There was a pause then he described the rock and location of it.. he had sprayed it on previous outing, we both had a laugh but I felt sorry for the guy because he told me he was goin to show his mate's at the pub... :( ( I hope he does not read this :8 pretty sure he is a member )

Downright dangerous...could give even a healthy bloke a caniption. Imagine anyones heart after seeing that much gold colour in the bush!,.....or in the middle of the highbanker.

Hi Guys, I'm new to prospecting and am looking forward to using my high banker.
Are there any spots in HillEnd that is Crown Land ,to use my high banker by a creek?
At this stage il be happy to get a couple of specs of the yellow stuff just to get the ball rolling.
Thanks
galena

Make sure you have plenty of hose at the moment as water is an issue. As Wal says Turon Coles Bridge is going to be pretty much guaranteed and easy access. Although we didn't Bank there Bob from Hill End pub also confirmed this. There is nothing worse than finding a good spot and having to lug pay dirt 50m to your banker. We were looking at 2grams + if we had water near our hole. An extra 10m of hose may have done the trick but we couldn't risk draining the only good pool of water. 3/4 of our time spent farting around and not just digging and dumping into the banker.

Yes John, we did have fun anyway! Just don't like the trick played on me...funny after the fact but for 2 seconds had to stop and stare. Was a good adventure just a real shame the water was non existent from the last trip. Cant wait for the next one...might be GG as mum has the Sapphire bug thanks to Liz!

Thanks guys, I might leave it for a couple of weeks , maybe some more rain will come and fill up the holes more,
I might get another 10 meters of hose as well.
Thanks again.

Definitely a bit of extra hose needs to be stored in the vehicle. We would have been sweet with an extra 10m. I'm sure you will find water but if its far from the sweet spot there's not much u can do!

Latest posts