Highbanking alone?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking about building a highbanker,seems like a lot of you guys go highbanking with a buddy.Just wondering if it is possible to do it on your own what with all the digging and raking.Do any of you guys highbank on your own and how do you find it?

Depends on how much you have to watch your back. LOL
I get uneasy when by myself for safety concerns. :)

I also go mostly alone can be done .
I do feel uneasy at times as well
Is good with a buddy someone to flick little sticks at . :lol:
And always nice to know someone has your back .

I go highbanking alone 95% time, my dog comes along always. I carry all my gear in and out thou.
No problems when highbanking people usually come for a chat or to see the setup.
Detecting is a different story, I have had people follow me in the state forests. My dog goes off her tree if people don't show themselves, I walked up the hill once to confront 2 guys. Birdwatching was their reply...and no binoculars.

All my highbanking is solo. I shovel into 4 x 10 litre buckets and then feed these through the Walbanker 1/3 bucket at a time, raking between feeds. Then stop for a short break before repeating the cycle.

mdv said:
All my highbanking is solo. I shovel into 4 x 10 litre buckets and then feed these through the Walbanker 1/3 bucket at a time, raking between feeds. Then stop for a short break before repeating the cycle.

Thanks MDV,that makes it sound do-able.Re the safety factor,that doesn't bother me normally, although I did feel a little uneasy at Sapphire Bend the time I went there.

The safety factor only comes into play if people know your on the gold. Their are a few tricks the young player needs to learn in this regard. ;)

Bloody Oath Jemba. :)
Too many prying eye's and people go nuts over a bit of yellow.
Hide your tracks well. :D

Yep! Like most other relies, I tend to go it alone.

I like the quiet........... ;)

highbanking and detecting for me is almost always solo, have felt uneasy a couple of times but nothing that a few deep breaths and self reassurance hasnt fixed, just be mindful of your surrounds and you will be ok

Myazma said:
I think there is a few of us who feel safer alone in the bush than walking down a city street. I know most animals I meet in the bush are friendly to a certain degree, not sure urban animals are the same

How true!
1454575977_thumb.jpg

Hay all,
I'm a Highbanking loaner, I like the serenity.
I have a spot where I go where I am the only one there, I never see another soul.
I felt a little uneasy pushing through the bush alone at first but that has passed now and I feel comfortable.
I am very conscious of snakes and I have only ever seen one down there, mind you he was a monster.
I have a PLB now which I'll be taking with me in future which is great piece of mind.

Did you know that the most effective weapon in trench war fare is a shovel.
That is why the edges were always sharpened. :D
My Granddad told me that from the first world war. :D :D

limpalot said:
Always good to have a solid shovel in hand, and always they had something sharp in their hand.

Interesting topic '
Where I go the biggest risk is nature , no highbanking involved as no water available , that's the killer ( lack of water ) , if your vehicle stops working you better have enough water for at least a week .

Even in the cooler times the amount of water you will need per day is more then most realise for such a situation . ;)

Latest posts