Highbanker or trommel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi all,

If money was no problem what would you buy, a trommel or a highbanker? Or would you have one of each?
To set the scene imagine your working a small creek, access is ok (you could get a portable trommel to the creek) but the gravels contain a bit of clay. So you need something that's going to break up that clay. Which one would you want?

Cheers Rick

Depends on your budget and ingenuity. Trommel is the harder way home. Using a good puddling method and putting it through the Highbanker is going to be easier on the hip pocket. Design factors in putting together a trommel are more complex than a Highbanker. Some places a trommel isn't going to be an option either.

I'd love to try out some of the newer versions of trommel from the states coming in the country recently but they are pricey. You can get up and going with a banker and hand puddling for maybe 20% of the cost of a portable washing trommel.

Watch out using a trommel as by the dpi rules they are illegal,No mechanical methods to process river wash.....

High-banker is always first and foremost, however I have a spot where a trommel would just eat up the clay and I could wheel it down there no worries. Unsure of the legalities but that's up to you to research in your area. If two people, then Highbanker, if on your own a trommel may do the work of the second person. Could have used one on the weekend with this stuff...

1428973237_gold1.jpg

Goldrocs said:
Watch out using a trommel as by the dpi rules they are illegal,No mechanical methods to process river wash.....
1428979408_img_20150414_124130.jpg

Is that what you are referring to mate? In victoria you shouldn't have any issues, but if I'm wrong feel free to pass on what you know. Other states this may well be in question.

I've always worked under the consideration that if it was excavated and loaded using hand tools only no problem. The only trouble from there was significant land disturbance.

You can use hand tools to a depth of one metre including pick, hammer, shovel, sieve, pan, shaker, basin and metal detector. Power tools are not permitted - this includes generator or engine driven equipment such as jackhammers, dredges, spading tools, etc. The use of explosives is prohibited. You may not damage or remove bush rock and you must replace any soil, rock or other material that has been disturbed in the course of fossicking for materials.
Rules for NSW only....
Cheers......
As the trommel barrel is driven by an engine,by there rules it's a no go,hand driven may be a different story.....

Cheers mate I'm sure that's going to be helpful for anyone in nsw. Initially when you said dpi I wasn't sure, that's two states covered off now.
Different legislation from different states should always be considered when fossiking/prospecting and by what means.

Latest posts