Highbanker information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I NOW know that it is illegal- not going to risk it thats for sure, but I am looking at my own property so maybe I can look at it down the track. Might be nice to get a machine that gives me that option should it become feasible later on.
Thanks for the 'heads-up' everyone. I felt that bullet whizz past my ear! :8

Just make one your self
We did and after yesterday I can truly say it world great

Yeah Mudguts I would but I'm just plain lazy, & up here in Emerald there would not be too many people/businesses able to do it......but really I'm just lazy! ;)
But u are right it would probably be a half or two thirds the price. I really like the look of the RDH Prospecting design. :p

Hey everyone im looking to build a high banker and was wondering what is the maximum legal size they can be

Mate i would be looking at the range of bankers on offer by guy's on this site. It may work out cheaper to buy a ready made unit and you will get the support required for operating the unit. It is all well and true making your own there is nothing wrong with that idea, but it is only half the story. Just my thoughts.
Jemba

Well said Tathradj + Jemba, :)
I have my own home built highbanker, small and efficient. All up it cost approx. $350.
The sluice is 2.5ft long at the moment but I am going to make an extension to it and make 5ft which equals 1.524m.
I have 2inch spray bars, hose and pump.
Although it may be small it keeps up with me and my son feeding it all day!! :D

it will cost approx. $150 to produce the extension.
So for approx. $500 It will be complete and compact enough to lug around ;)

But in saying that.....
I had to workout how to run this highbanker by myself, trial and error to get it to optimal performance!! :( :eek: :lol:

I agree with tathradj and jemba ;)
Anything over 1.5m is not necessary,
2.5m worth of sluice and equipment........... and having to transport it to a location away from the easy to get to worked areas will be PAINFUL!!! 8.(

Also..
Purchasing one will enable you to get help setting up and correct pressure and angles!! ;)
If you really want to build your own, I would recommend following the walbanker specifications!!

And if you are determined to make it 2.5m make a 1m extension to fix to it!!
Good luck with your decision :)

The reason i dont want a smaller unit is because there is going to be 10 of us who want to use it so i need something a bit bigger than wals one even tho wals is kick ass i just need to process the volume alot quicker to make it profitable for us all other wise i would use a smaller unit thats whay i asked what were max legal dimentions are
But thankyou for all the advice its much appreciated

Yeah thats why i want to make it as big as possible im also going to make a hopper/rock sorter for classing meterial into differant sizes as we have found a fair few nuggets in the area we are working

Two reasonably sized machines with two pumps may Bea a better option. Think about it in terms of carrying the gear in. 2 pumps = 2 ppl , 2 sluices=2 ppl remaining ppl carry gear and food, then if you don't have a full crew you could still operate and carry in. I would even consider 3 sluices on 2 pumps, this would improve queues to feed the sluices

I must say this sounds a little odd, 10 people running one recreational rig.
10 people feeding a machine sounds like a commercial operation to me.

I built a banker that is only 700 long. :)
Has 5 trap area's and is deadly efficient.
The riffle area is designed by a good mate of mine
and I am sworn to secrecy about it as it took him
years to get it right.
Cost me $200.00
Max I would recommend is,
2.5 meters long
12 inch's wide,
Banker can be carried by one person only,
Max 2.5 inch pump.
If you are in NSW as I said before,
Keep to the sizes I stated or in a while you may
be very disappointed.
That is a blatant hint mate,

Can you use a small back pack floating dredge in AUSTRALIA ???

KEENE 2" Backpack Dredge

Specifications:

Sluice Box 10" x 36"
Weight: 65 lbs Suction Hose 2" x 10'
Power Jet: 1 1/4" x 4'
Suction Nozzle 2" x 1 1/4"
Fuel Consumption: approx. 5 hours per gallon
Dredge Capacity: Up to 1.5 yards per hour

Gettinrings said:
Can you use a small back pack floating dredge in AUSTRALIA ???

KEENE 2" Backpack Dredge

Specifications:

Sluice Box 10" x 36"
Weight: 65 lbs Suction Hose 2" x 10'
Power Jet: 1 1/4" x 4'
Suction Nozzle 2" x 1 1/4"
Fuel Consumption: approx. 5 hours per gallon
Dredge Capacity: Up to 1.5 yards per hour
NO.Dredging is illegal in Australia.

Thank you all very very much for your advice its appreciated ill get to work building it in the morning

not trying to be 'that guy' mate but if you are in NSW (and am sure other states would have a similar rule) you may need to think about what you are allowed to dig in a 24/48 hr period too, i know how much i can move in a day and compared to some blokes here i am light weight, if a ranger rocked up, seen 10 blokes going at it he may get his back up and thats when things go down hill fast, not only for yourself and your mates but prospectors in general, i am in no way having a go at you mate, and i wish you all the best with it i really do, i would just hate to see a fellow prospector come off second best in the eyes of the law
cheers
Jamie

Ok that makes alot of sence i will talk to the boys about it and put forward a roster do you think 5 guys is too many as not all are going to be digging some of the boys are more interested in semi precious gems and gold to them is a byproduct and vice versa to us others if that makes sence

all depends on how you want to work really, 10 guys divided work through out the day makes a nice rest between digging, two digging, one clearing tailings and clearing hopper box etc, one or two out test panning the surrounds, someone making lunch, so many options, but you just need to stick to the rules set out for your spot/state etc.
just a side thought tho is make sure you and your mates have talked and agreed on a way gold/gems will be divided up, gold makes people do funny things sometimes, i have seen the best of people change from that glint of gold into someone they were not.
cheers
Jamie

Latest posts