High banking for gems.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1380911508_image.jpg

My homemade high banker, which was once a stainless plant trough. I'm using high riffles in an attempt to catch sapphires from a sandy/clay loam. However there is a lot of hand work in keeping them clear! I would scoop them out and throw back to the top of sluice.

The 12mm mesh holds back the slurry and rocks, I tip in a third of a bucket and shake it to break it down. There is only about 2 or 3 handful of solids in each bucket, I can put in about 10 to 15 an hour through the sluice.

It's amazing how rocks can rot away! There are a few basalt river worn stones left in the level that can be broken open with a pick. The base or river bed is more clay like and I wonder if its a false bottom! Can bedrock turn to clay over time? Does anyone have an idea? The level is thicker here then my other hole 20ft away and I wish I could dig tests holes all over the hill to workout the creek/river layout. Gee to have a backhoe and trommal on a lease here would be great fun.

A good days work,these came from 45 buckets which is a big effort for me. Top left are two honey coloured Zircons. Then 8 Sapphirines or bombs and then 6 dark blue sapphires which show lovely colour with a light shing through. But a little small but encouraging all the same, iv been talking of going to Barrington tops to look for Ruby's and sapphires. But I'm still hopeful here and it's a great pace to camp and work.

Sapphirine showing green colour layers, no good for cutting but a great specimen for collectors.

I have been looking at the gummi river valley up that way as a place to give a go for saphires and they say pink rubies... I will get over there sooner or later for a scratch.. I have no idea how a highbanker should be set up for gems :)

Hi kawman, wals high banker is a great design for gold and gems with river wash material. Gummi river is on my list, ellerston and tomalla seem to be the best prospect iv read up on! I hope to head over that way in the next few weeks, I'm happy to meet up and share ideas.

Interesting stones Dezman, are they from Nundle way? Was reading about those Honey Zircons the other day and where to dig for them. Should be heading out near Tomalla soon myself, a friend of a friend has a big property there and given my mate and me permission to have a look around in his river frontage.

Yes Heatho they come from Ponderosa and there are lots of honey Zircons there too. I'm torn between staying here on hope! Or looking over Tomalla way as well, keep an eye out for old elevated river beds on the property! I read half the creeks have sapphires in the area! Not sure about any gold around there.

Latest posts