Hi.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have no idea how to start. My son (6yo) saw metal detecting on a TV show and he wants to try it out.
I've asked some locals if they have one I could borrow, but no luck so far.
Please let me know how you would go about it. I'd prefer not to invest too much into it in case it's a passing interest.
Thanks.

Welcome to PA Barefoot. You could always hire a detector for a day and see how you and the little bloke get on. I can't imagine him lasting too long before he gets tired or bored, or concentrating for any length of time at that young age, but you never know. Good luck.

G'day All,
as another newby to this forum stuff and scratching around in the creek beds, gold fossicking has been an intrest of mine for as long as I can remember, Now that my kids have grown up I'm starting to get a bit of time back so I bought myself a pan and a couple of sieves. I work for a company that does maintenance on power stations and Refineries around CQ so I'm on the lookout for some areas to go and have a scratch around, I've just started bow hunting as well (feral pests). I thought if I combine the two hobbies it would be a good idea to make the most of the limited time off I get

Welcome Barefoot and Wooley :)

Barefoot - there's plenty of cheap detectors that do the job and won't be much of a burden on the purse. Keep your eyes open on ebay and gumtree for working models of a Whites Coinmaster 5000 or 6000 for under $100. You may be able to buy the one that Aldi supply by asking at aldi stores, again their detector is only $100. There is also another cheap plastic one available at kmart / bigw, but I don't know how well it works but could do the job. The key is to find sonething that doesn't pick up iron. This is called discrimination in the detector world. He won't find gold nuggets, but at the beach or in tambarked parks ( be very careful as sharp items appear a lot from nails to even unfortunately needles ) so it would be best for you to assist with him being soo young. It can be a very enjoyable hobby, and who knows...you may want an upgrade for yourself one day ;)

Wooley - welcome mate, great idea to mix the two.. wherever you travel, there's always something to be dug up under your feet so why not! Have you found any gold as of yet? Power station work sounds fun :cool:

Welcome barefoot and wooley, great forum - lots of knowledgable members who give great advice !!

wooley I'm also in glady ..... atm I'm only detecting but plan to do a bit of panning/banjo'ing this year ......

Latest posts