Hi, i didn't go anywhere but i'm back .

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiggingHoles

Bob Burford
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I joined up a few weeks ago, not long after that my e-mail account was hacked and i was locked out of it. To cut a long story short it was easier to start a fresh. So here i am.

Hi I'm Bob and this is some of my story 30 something years ago my dad started taking me camping out at Ophir. Ophir was just out the road from where we lived no more than 20 minutes drive. We would camp there for 1 maybe 2 or 3 Nights at a time , a couple of times we stayed for a week I just remember it was always fun. Mum would take a few books to read and she say rack off go exploring but be back by dark. I remember running around looking in all the tunnels and the old gold diggings,fishing, walked for hours in ever direction, up hill, down hill. Dad sad to me when you look for gold you need to check every rock, I must have picked up and looked under what seemed like 10,000 rocks every day. I would fall asleep most nights at the camping table eating my dinner.

In the mornings id wake up in my sleeping bag which was wrapped in an old woolen blanket or two then wrapped in an old canvas truck tarp like a donna-kebab, it all weighed a ton but it was so warn. One time I woke up early in the morning in my Everything was quiet everyone was asleep. Frost everywhere it was so cold out of my sleeping bag but i needed to pee, so got up and ran up to the toilet block on the way back to our camping spot i heard some splashing in the creek. To this day i will never forget seeing on the other side of the creek this big brown rat he was sitting up at the edge of the water eating something. I was shivering so much, I was so cold but I didn't want to look away from this Rat. I heard a noise near our camp i looked over to see my dad putting some wood on the fire. when i looked back to the Rat he was gone. Later that day i went to where he had been and there were all these little bits of broken yabbie shells.

I remember one day saying i'll show you how to find some gold. We had walked what seemed like hours and hours to his secret patch and we had to move all these rocks it took hours. But then showed me how to do the panning in this old tin pan, this old tin pan was always in Dads ute up until this point the only thing id seen it used for was collecting apple from trees which had branched that hung over fences. He said when your panning you have to go real slow, take your time, shake it like this, keep it just this deep in the water. I was about 6 or 7 like i cared how deep this pan was in the creek. After a little while dad said wow here you go there is some gold. I looked into the pan and sure enough there it was and i had no idea what it was or which bit i was was the good bit so i copied my dad and said wow to. Dad took out an old, well new back then PECK'S paste jar and pushed the stuff in the pan into the jar. That's when i noticed the little yellow rock. i asked dad what the yellow bit were and he laughed.

One night dad said he some people were coming to have dinner with us so we were having a special dinner. Dad pulled out the jaffle iron, Spaghetti and cheese on outside jaffles. Desert was tinned apples and blackberry jam jaffels. cooked over the campfire these were and still are about a thousand times better than cooked at home in the electric toaster thingy. When it got dark and everyone would be sitting around the camp fire. That's when all the stories came out, the gold got bigger, The Fish were so big you couldn't get them into the back of the ute. Almost every night that started with a big group telling tall stories ended with me waking up in my sleeping bag and not knowing how i got there. Yep the old days were the best and digital cameras/ phones with cameras spoil a good story.

A couple of those mates of dads who had sat down with us for the Gourmet spaghetti and cheese jaffels and talked about them big nuggets got their photo in the paper for finding some gold which was called the Fathers day nugget.

So that's how i got started and i still enjoy going to Ophir.

Welcome back Bob...great story there and I'm sure there will be heaps more adventures out there for you to share. :eek: Hope those hackers stay on the other side of the fence from now on and only good luck follows you around...Cheers Wal. :)

G'day Bob,

Great story, I can agree with all the sentiments and fond memories you have of camping as a youngster. I too have virtually those same memories....different locations but otherwise almost identical.. My old dad and I now go out to Ophir together more than 30 years on, and while you can't step into the same river twice, there's still something so very good about gold prospecting with dad.

The old user name was robbo .I had one post " hi robbo from orange " about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Cheers bob.

Dear Bob, I loved reading your story, I can almost smell the spaghetti & cheese jaffels, my childhood reeks of those friendly little foes. My partner & I are newbies, we're finding some very friendly folk amongst these pages, I look forward to reading more of your tales, isn't it funny how simplest things evoke memories :p We're planning a trip to Hill End next week, to pass thru Ophir ... I can't wait to check out that country. Cheers from T & Shane, Manly :)

Welcome....again Bob.
Thats a great story mate.I've been to Ophir and Its a great place.
You were fortunate enough to share your spaghetti tostie with with one of Orange's greatest treasures by the sounds of it.
Mr Peter Culverson...and absolute gentleman and a seriously addicted prospector.
Looking forward to hearing some more about your adventures.
Cheers
CHris

Gedday There Bob, .. And welcome back again mate .. Gold is simply a commodity, but memories and experiences like yours are where the real treasure is found, and while they can never be sold or traded, they can be shared .. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Best Regards and Good Luck to You!

The Digger.

Hey Bob,
I can tottaly relate to your story. And now I am trying to pass it down to my 2 young fellas, but with all of this tech rubbish about all they want to talk about is computer games etc.
And quite often I make a big bowl of "Dad's" spaghetti from scratch and usually get cleaned up pretty well from the boys.
Welcome aboard Bob, glad to hear of some of your past.
Cheers
Brad.....

Well, Thanks everyone.
I am little Overwhelmed with all the responses and welcoming. I look forward to sharing more of my find and stories with all.

WalnLiz. Hi Wal, I've watched most of your YouTube movies, I must say they are Top Shelf. The recent video where Liz gets the GOLD FEVER excitement, made laugh because that fever is so addictive when see some gold come out of a hole it is the best feeling. That Chunk you guys popped out NICE.

Ditherer and Son. One of my best Memories of prospecting with my Dad started with Me ringing him one morning before work. He had been away working for a couple of weeks and i hadn't seen him for weeks Prior to that because id brought my first house and it needed heaps of work. We had quick chat and it was time to goto work. When i got off the phone I said to myself I haven't had a day off in months. I Called in sick for work that day. Called Dad back told him i was going out to the Abercrombie River to check it out. He took the day off (he worked for himself so he Could) When i picked him up he how i got the day off I told him id called in sick! Man-Alive ! He hit the roof He was so cranky. I told him work had been quiet, Not many people have been crashing their cars. To make it worse it was raining when we got out to the river, but it cleared up. We never found any gold that day. When were heading back to the car dad said last one back to the car buys the Hamburgers at Blayney for dinner then he started laughing and looked across the river, i couldn't understand why he was laughing but when i looked across the river he pushed me in and then he walked back to the car laughing all the way.
I felt guilty for having that day off for years and years. But Not any more. We never went back to the Abercrombie and now we cant.

Nugget. Hi. Hope i haven't created a headache with the other account.

Mystyk59. Hi. Thanks.

firegirl. Hi and thank you for reading my long-short story. The weather is starting to turn out this way so if your heading out from Manly bring a good jumper.

ChrisM. I was a shy little kid in primary school, when Mr Peter Culverson asked me if I wanted to hold the Fathers Day nugget. It was on display at the Orange Civic Theater. I was too shy to answer. He just picked it and started talking to me about it, he then sat it back on the table and said go on try and pick it up. I don't remember getting it off the table but I was little and it was heavy.

Palmer Digger. You are right on the Money. I noticed that the price of gold has gone down in the past few days. But what "I can" remember is more valuable than any Treasure i have found. The trouble is I'm starting to forget things, but as my wife says "It selective" so it OK.

aushunter. Hi and thanks for listening. I've now got 2 sons One is 3 years old and the other is 3 and bit months old. Lewis the older one loves going detecting as long as its me detecting in the mulch under the play equipment and him playing on the equipment. We haven't introduced computers and video games yet. "Video games" wow do they still call them that or am i getting old school ?

Mitch59. Hi and glad to share it with you.

Hope I've thanked every one for the welcoming. Cheers to you all. Bob.

Latest posts