Hi from the Hawkesbury...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bit late already made a couple posts.... Better late then never...

My name is Martin and I'm from Sydney. Love collecting minerals and have been for about 4 years now. I got into it thanks to my uncle who has been been collecting minerals for 30 years, most of his collection was dug up by him personally. I have 300+ minerals all up, some of which can be seen on my site here (fletcheronline.com.au), going through and retaking new photos for my collection as we speak and have a lot more to be listed and sorted.

I want to get into fossicking a lot more, mainly in the blue mountains and Hawkesbury areas. I'm also thinking about joining the Blaxland Gem and Mineral Club, is this club any good? Do they do many fossicking trips etc? Just got back from a month in South Australia, did a bit of fossicking over there near the Moonta Mines. Found a decent black tourmaline (Schorl) near the Moonta mines while scratching around in the overburden. Also found a nice 70 to 80 year old Tip Top soft drink bottle near a old camp site area deep in the scrub and mostly buried. Found a 1980 penny while fossicking in Wallaroo in SA and a few nice round fossilized Clams while going along the cliff faces. But was there mainly for fishing.

G'day Martin, nice collection mate, I spend a bit of time in the Hawkesbury too. I did'nt really think there was anything too interesting in the Hawkesbury just Shale and Clay? I have found some interesting minerals around Sunny Corner, mainly Copper ore specimens and some other ones with cubic type Pyrites, I'm sure there would be plenty of other interesting rocks there too. Happy to show you where sometime.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks guys, glad you both like my mineral collection. I bought a good camera with a zoom lense and I'm teaching myself photography by practicing on minerals and landscapes so I need to redo some photos.

In the Hawkesbury I'm more interested in scrounging some older areas. I like going through overrun areas so I'm targeting the Hawkesbury River atm. I like dense bushy areas due to less people scrounging through them.

Looking at detectors atm also so I can do a lot more fossicking. I'll leave that for another thread though...

Gday Marty,LOVE, LOVE ,LOVE those rocks(sorry minerals)i have always had a thing for rocks/minerals. My grandparents used to travel around our great land digging/fossicking/scratching for everything there was. Their house was full of specemins in cabinets. Nana made jewelery, grandad painted lanscapes etc and they would fund their ventures selling their wares at markets etc along the way. I guess thats where my spark originated , although my interests now are varied . Old bottles is where it all began for me in late 80's , which has opened a world of collecting. Some say it is an incureable disease , that no one is even interested in curing.... I agree . I live in Lake Macquarie , this area is covered in petrified wood including having ( had) 1 of only 5or 6 petrified forest sites known world wide( found and decimated in early 1800's) . I have a real affiliation with the stuff , i find it everywhere , even without trying. Do you reckon you could post a pic of the bottle you found? Ive never heard of it. Tip Top to me is a bread company( which i also have connection to)
Thats it for now , some prick keeps nicking the letters off the keyboard, then puts em back somewhere else
Takes forever to write these things
Thanks for the intro , maybe could shake hands someday
Cheers Darren

Gday Marty , thanks for that ...
Never seen that one before, there are thousands of different ones out there
Sorry for delay to thank , been lost on tangents
Darren

Hey Martin, I'm also in the Hawkesbury area.

Took the family to the Gem and Mineral Show today in Windsor. My daughter bought herself a few samples that she liked.

Philthy

Sandta said:
Gday Marty , thanks for that ...
Never seen that one before, there are thousands of different ones out there

Yes there are lots of different types of bottles out there. Fun collecting them too :cool:

Philthy said:
Hey Martin, I'm also in the Hawkesbury area.

Took the family to the Gem and Mineral Show today in Windsor. My daughter bought herself a few samples that she liked.

Welcome a board! :p

Good to see you went to the Gem and Mineral Show today. I went also.

It was a good show once again, though it's starting to be the same venders and exhibits every year. They should shake it up a bit.

Latest posts