Hi from Peter in Scarborough QLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meloyelo78

Peter McFarlane
Reaction score
G'day, all. I've just joined up and this is my maiden post.

For the past four years, my wife and I have been travelling around Australia in a caravan, on the road about 8 months out of the year. I've always been one to keep an eye on the ground as I walk, picking up nuts and bolts and anything else I spy, and have always carried a pan (without luck so far) in the car. Strangest find so far has been an opal lying on the surface when we pulled over for a cuppa south of Kalgoorlie in WA. Anyway, I've always had lots of fun looking for gold, treasure and relics. In our travels we've come across a few people waving metal detectors around who've been happy to have a chat and a coldie or two, and bring out their specimen bottles of nuggets. They've got me inspired as we're often in gold areas or old town/homestead sites, and I think the bug has bitten me.

So, I've decided to upgrade the technology and get myself a detector to look for for relics and gold. In my readings so far, I'm leaning towards either an Equinox 800 or X-Terra 705, not sure yet but these seem to be popular. Tomorrow, I'm off to Mines Den at Underwood to have a chat and see what surprise will come my way for Fathers Day.

Anyway, glad to be on board and have enjoyed reading through all the posts.

Cheers
Pete

Welcome to the forum Pete, a detector purchase should prove a rewarding addition on your travels around Oz. The Equinox 800 would be a more proficient all-rounder than the superceded X-Terra 705, especially for mineralised ground or if you want to do some beach detecting. Best of luck.

OK, after a visit to Miners Den, I've gone with the Equinox 800 plus a bag load of accessories that surely must guarantee success when using it...right? ;)

Now, looking forward to climbing that very steep learning curve...

Cheers
Pete

Gday mate, good choice. I'm still loving my Nox 6 months later. So good in trashy, iron laden spots and has found some awesome relics, coins and gold and silver jewellery.

Latest posts