Hi from Omigal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just introducing myself. I'm from Stuart Town (was apparently going to be called Omigal at one stage). New to using detectors - about 8 - 9 months. Have an SDC2300 and am still learning to use it. Surprised at how it smells out small colours. Will keep hunting around the Stuart Town common, practising my detector skills.

Cheers,
Tom.

Wishfull said:
Hi Tom and welcome. Good choice on the sdc too.
What made you choose the sdc ?

Hi Wishfull, I have a good mate who has been hunting for gold for many years who recommended one. He has one as well as a GPX5000, SD2000 and a few other even older ones.

Cheers,
Tom

So you're THE MAN eh? Welcome to PA mate. Nice quiet place you live in ... except the goldfields! Every step you take the 'tector screams its head off with all the junk around, so if you're finding gold there you're doing well and I admire your tenacity.

Welcome Tom.
Always loved Stuart Town. Some of my ancestors were some of the first settlers and I think I'm related to half the cemetary there.
My first experiences looking for gold were as a kid with my uncle who lived and prospected there for many years.

Anolphart said:
So you're THE MAN eh? Welcome to PA mate. Nice quiet place you live in ... except the goldfields! Every step you take the 'tector screams its head off with all the junk around, so if you're finding gold there you're doing well and I admire your tenacity.

Yep, finding lot's of junk and no gold - so far. One interesting find was two old rabbit traps about 3-4 inches down. They weren't set. I would surmise that they were put there whilst setting another trap and forgotten or they were just dropped. Will persevere though.

We lived in Wello for 4 years 2008 -2012 while the kids went to high school and primarly school still own the house in town and still have friends we visit often. House is rented now We also had a mate who owned 90 acres of land out along the Mookerawa road..with creek access, that was our first experience fossicking for gold...great place out near the gates to Burrendong dam ..sad he sold it a couple of years ago and moved north..
Tom you are right in the middle of A good area for gold ..you would be surprised how much historic gold mining activity took place out there along the Macquarie river from Wellington right out to Stuarttown and in and around Burrendong dam..
A lot of those places are now on private land and not accessable with out permission..

nucopia said:
We lived in Wello for 4 years 2008 -2012 while the kids went to high school and primarly school still own the house in town and still have friends we visit often. House is rented now We also had a mate who owned 90 acres of land out along the Mookerawa road..with creek access, that was our first experience fossicking for gold...great place out near the gates to Burrendong dam ..sad he sold it a couple of years ago and moved north..
Tom you are right in the middle of A good area for gold ..you would be surprised how much historic gold mining activity took place out there along the Macquarie river from Wellington right out to Stuarttown and in and around Burrendong dam..
A lot of those places are now on private land and not accessable with out permission..
My mate (referred to in previous post) owned 4000 acres with about 5 miles of Macquarie river frontage a bit south of Dixon's long point. He's retired now and has sold the property but still lives on it. We also have access to the neighbour's 12,000 acre property with old gold mines on it. That (as well as Stuart Town) is my fossicking area. Found a few small bits of gold (sub .4 gram and colours) out there but feel we will do better as I am starting to understand the SDC a bit better. It's an area steeped in gold history all through here as you say. My mate's family have been a part of that history over 3 generations, even owning a lease at Ophir for many years.

Awesome Tom
My mate owns a house in Wellington that backs onto the Macquarie river ,its also marked on mine view NSW as a place that was worked for gold and precious stones back in the day..his Great gradfather used to run a bucket dredge along the Macquarie ..he showed my a family photo album full of old family photos of his relatives mining ..there is rich history of mining in the area that few people these days know any thing about..
To me its fasinating..

I lived in Wellington from 1955 to 1986 and my father and I used to do a lot of prospecting in and around Burrendong and Stuart Town.

Latest posts