Hi from Innisfail

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am based in Innisfail. My wife and I recently had the shock realisation that, with our last child about to finish year 12 and head off to uni, we
will have new found freedom. We will be free to go away for weekends and public holidays or even on weekdays if we take days off work. We agreed that fossicking is a good way to go. We had tried about 18 years ago but founf it too hard with young kids.
I was a bit sad recently when I dropped another of my kids off at Cairns Airport to head back to a southern university. I was sad because when I called into NQ Miners Den to buy some supplies after the airport drop-off I read the notice that George had shut up shop the week before. I had hoped to corner him in the shop, pick his brains about fossicking, and purchase a few necessities; damn.
Anyway, we intend to identify a few places for detecting and panning around Innisfail, Mareeba, and Cairns. I realise we are not going to strike it rich but we hope to find a bit of colour and a nugget or two from time to time. I have been researching different areas that may be worth a shot but would appreciate it if somebody could point out some half decent areas to detect.
I'll keep checking for meet ups in Cairns or surrounds and look forward to meeting some of the other members in FNQ in the not too distant future.

Hi Blue,

You are lucky that Georgetown/Forsayth is only a couple of hours west. There are properties out that way that you can pay to detect on. You can find all the info in Gold Prospecting - Gold Localities and Information.

Welcome to the PA.

Cheers :)

Doug

Welcome to the forum not a bad place up or way some freinds moved up that way years ago and never came back So enjoy your new found freedom and hobby

Thanks everybody. And yes, I have been busy reading posts and researching the net for places to go. Hope to get a couple of trips in prior to the wet season. The Georgetown area is high on my list of places to visit.

Welcome blue. I had some of my best years in Innisfail. Beautiful place, great fishing. A lot of rain. Did my high school years at good counsel college. I'm in Melbourne now with a young family. Wasn't into prospecting back then but played a lot of league for the innsfails leprechauns. Welcome to the forum. A lot to learn here. A lot of people willing to help too. Good luck mate :)

Chuky boy said:
Welcome blue. I had some of my best years in Innisfail. Beautiful place, great fishing. A lot of rain. Did my high school years at good counsel college. I'm in Melbourne now with a young family. Wasn't into prospecting back then but played a lot of league for the innsfails leprechauns. Welcome to the forum. A lot to learn here. A lot of people willing to help too. Good luck mate :)

Cheers Chuky boy....Go the Leps! But wait; you might have to switch your allegiance to AFL seeing as you live in Melbourne now. It is fantastic country around here! Always happy after the wet season finishes. Easy lifestyle...no traffic jams etc. Thanks for the welcome.

Latest posts