Hi Everyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am so excited to be starting my prospecting adventures. I had been out a couple of times with a friend and he was kind enough to let me use his detector for a short while. We didnt strike anything of any significance, but that was okay - it didnt put me off getting my own detector. Unfortunately I havent been able to go out since I got it - hopefully that will come soon. I live in Victoria and I believe there are lots of places to explore, but I do still need to look at maps to work out where I can and cant go.

I also enjoy photography and particularly like photographing the night sky, so I think the two hobbies will compliment each other.

I am very much looking forward to going out with my detector and learning a new craft.

Cheers
Jules

G'day Jules welcome to PA, which detector did you buy. Keep posting, question, locations you've detected and you'll rack up the 10 posts required for the members section to become active. In the members section you'll see organised meet ups feel free to join in :beer: there great fun, chewing the fat will help your learning curve.

RM Outback said:
G'day Jules welcome to PA, which detector did you buy. Keep posting, question, locations you've detected and you'll rack up the 10 posts required for the members section to become active. In the members section you'll see organised meet ups feel free to join in :beer: there great fun, chewing the fat will help your learning curve.

I got an SDC2300 and a Coiltek 10x5 coil, both 2nd hand but only 3 months old, so virtually new. I was going to get a pick from Miners Den, but they didnt have any in stock, so I got something in Bunnings just to bridge the gap until I can get a decent one. Im looking forward to getting out, just waiting for a cooler day. Hopefully it wont take long to rack up my first 10 posts.
Thanks for the welcome :Y:

Muk said:
Great choice of detector they are excellent cheers all the best muk.

Thanks Muk - really looking forward to getting out there and learning all about it.

elfe said:
Hi Jules,

leard how to pinpoint and of course get a plastic shovel - both will be essential

Ive got a plastic shovel of sorts, just a cheapy from Bunnings for the time being. I will likely end up getting a pick from Miners Den and will grab a decent plastic shovel then.

One lesson I did learn on my first time out was not to wear any jewellery :argh: , or shoes with reinforced toes :lol: :awful:
As for pinpointing, that will take a lot more time I think, and learning to distinguish the different sounds.

I am so excited to be starting my prospecting adventures. I had been out a couple of times with a friend and he was kind enough to let me use his detector for a short while. We didnt strike anything of any significance, but that was okay - it didnt put me off getting my own detector. Unfortunately I havent been able to go out since I got it - hopefully that will come soon. I live in Victoria and I believe there are lots of places to explore, but I do still need to look at maps to work out where I can and cant go.

I also enjoy photography and particularly like photographing the night sky, so I think the two hobbies will compliment each other.

I am very much looking forward to going out with my detector and learning a new craft.

Cheers
Jules
Welcome Jules. I love my SDC2300 and have found some great stuff with it. All the best with the hunt.

Another welcome to the forum Jules. The only way to learn is by experience and getting out and doing it is the best way. The more gold you find the better you get at learning how to find more.
If you have any troubles or need any tips this is the right place to ask for help.
You have selected the right machine to start out. My other briefly worded tips are detecting maps, shallow ground, patience, low slow,
Finding nuggets is not a matter of luck it is a matter of doing the right things.
PS love your interest in Astrophotgraphy as my telescopes always travel with me on extended prospecting trips to the goldfields.

Last edited:
Another welcome to the forum Jules. The only way to learn is by experience and getting out and doing it is the best way. The more gold you find the better you get at learning how to find more.
If you have any troubles or need any tips this is the right place to ask for help.
You have selected the right machine to start out. My other briefly worded tips are detecting maps, shallow ground, patience, low slow,
Finding nuggets is not a matter of luck it is a matter of doing the right things.
PS love your interest in Astrophotgraphy as my telescopes always travel with me on extended prospecting trips to the goldfields.
Thanks for the welcome Hawkear. I have been out a few times now and found some pieces of gold almost every time - beginners luck maybe 🤷🏻‍♀️. Its going to take time for me to learn about the different types of rock and ground. It’s very confusing and frustrating when I get a target and dig only to find nothing, not even lead shot. It happened a few times a couple of weeks ago and I eventually gave up after spending half an hour looking. I’m assuming it’s either ground noise and/ or hot rocks, but not sure how to be certain.

If you suspect either, ground balance on the dirt that came out of the hole.
More often than not, if ground noise it will disappear..

If you suspect either, ground balance on the dirt that came out of the hole.
More often than not, if ground noise it will disappear..
Redfin - Thank you. I’ll definitely give that a try. I did do a ground balance, but not on the dirt that came out of the hole. Makes sense to do it as you suggest. 😊

Welcome Jules I am also starting out with a SDC2300 in NSW not looking to be a Millionair but get some exersize and I love the Bush all my life.
Good luck Denis - it is nice going out into the bush and having a reason to be there, and it’s a bonus when you actually find some gold.

Yeah we all get tripped up by ground balancing issues with disappearing signals from time to time. They can usually be resolved as Redfin suggested by manually rebalancing on the extracted dirt or perhaps on the ground around the hole. Also if you listen carefully hot ground signals are slightly different to true target signals but that is a longer term skill you will learn.
One of the other things I would recommend for anyone is to be efficient in digging or identifying targets. I have seen many people not only newbies spend excessive amounts of time, sometimes as much as 20 minutes trying to find a small bit of rusted steel in a pile of dirt dug out from a target hole.
Given that you have only so many detecting hours available spending this amount of time seriously eats into your chances of success.
My secret weapon ( a kids sand spade with custom handle- a virtual flat dry panning tray) greatly speeds up the identification process. I can scoop up the target and isolate it in no more than 2 minutes and if I pinpoint correctly mostly in less than 1.
Keep up with your efforts out in the bush, they will be rewarded with more than just the gold.

Attachments

• secret weapon.jpg
    secret weapon.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi GoldnJules
Regarding the ground noise issue. I started a new thread "How do you tell the difference between ground noise and a real target signal"
Dog Ranger has put a great video on it showing how to do it the way Redfin suggested. It shows a 5000 being used but the process should also work with the 2300.

Latest posts