Hi All, My first 24 hours as treasure hunter have been fun!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clegy

Justin Cleghorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firstly thanks to everyone for their posts, I used this forum as a research tool before buying my first Detector.
I chose the Minelab xterra 705 Dual Pack. I have owned it for 24 hours.

Originally i was going to go way cheaper and simpler, but after reading so many posts where people always wished they
had something a little better I figured the 705 would be a good place to start as well as being good enough to keep me interested for
a while yet.

My first exploration was the back of my house where we have scraped the grass off for concrete to go down soon.
I spent about 3-4 hours on 20 sqm of land trying different settings and playing around with the 705.
This was my first ever experience using a metal detector.

My Findings in order of location:

Clothes Peg (My First ever find :( )
Tuna can
Then the one that got me excited.
194? Half Penny. The last digit is obscured.
1 x bent random metal
3 x Brass hose fittings
20 cent coin 2010
1 x tap washer
10 cent coin Date obscured.
And lastly
a small coin about 1mm larger than a five cent piece. It is quite degraded and I am too scared
to clean it further as I don't want to damage it. (Tried vinegar + Bi Carb and toothpaste to no avail)
some green type gunk on it so I guess its copper?

The last find introduced me a side of treasure hunting I didn't even think about and its just as much fun.
Researching your finds and trying to work out what they are exactly.

Today I buy a powerful magnifying glass to assist with this.

Anyway, thanks again for the posts, I will post a pic of my finds in the
appropriate section.

Happy Hunting all

Clegy

Photo posted so it officially happened LOL
Cant Post links, It's in the Finds section.

Cheers

Hi clergy.

Welcome to the forum. Great introduction. :D You did the first thing exactly right... research! You will be happy with the 705, it's a good machine and becoming very popular so information and help will be easy to find. We all start in our own yards. I also found a half penny in mine.

Your mystery coin may be a farthing? I haven't found any but they are about the size of a 5 cent piece. Some info here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farthing_(British_coin)

Yes we need pics :D If there's no pics it didn't happen. ;) When you are ready maybe head over to the Members Finds section and start a new topic to post your finds as some of us have done.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=89

Look forward to seeing your finds as your explore outside the yard.

Cheers

Ramjet

Wesome Clegy
The adventures begins wow great first finds in your back yard, just imagine how much is laying buried out there waiting to be rediscovered and released.
Looking forward to seeing your picks in the member finds section too
Well done. :)
nucopia

Welcome to PA clegy, you're hooked already :lol: :lol: :lol: Well done and good luck

Great start Glegy. Researching finds and new places is the way to go. Your hooked now so enjoy your new life long hobby :)

Ps. RJ , a farthing is closer to a 10c piece ;) , ive found couple so far.

clegy said:
Firstly thanks to everyone for their posts, I used this forum as a research tool before buying my first Detector.
I chose the Minelab xterra 705 Dual Pack. I have owned it for 24 hours.

Originally i was going to go way cheaper and simpler, but after reading so many posts where people always wished they
had something a little better I figured the 705 would be a good place to start as well as being good enough to keep me interested for
a while yet.

My first exploration was the back of my house where we have scraped the grass off for concrete to go down soon.
I spent about 3-4 hours on 20 sqm of land trying different settings and playing around with the 705.
This was my first ever experience using a metal detector.

My Findings in order of location:

Clothes Peg (My First ever find :( )
Tuna can
Then the one that got me excited.
194? Half Penny. The last digit is obscured.
1 x bent random metal
3 x Brass hose fittings
20 cent coin 2010
1 x tap washer
10 cent coin Date obscured.
And lastly
a small coin about 1mm larger than a five cent piece. It is quite degraded and I am too scared
to clean it further as I don't want to damage it. (Tried vinegar + Bi Carb and toothpaste to no avail)
some green type gunk on it so I guess its copper?

The last find introduced me a side of treasure hunting I didn't even think about and its just as much fun.
Researching your finds and trying to work out what they are exactly.

Today I buy a powerful magnifying glass to assist with this.

Anyway, thanks again for the posts, I will post a pic of my finds in the
appropriate section.

Happy Hunting all

Clegy

Photo posted so it officially happened LOL
Cant Post links, It's in the Finds section.

Cheers
The 705 is the better machine for beginners out of the xterra range in my opinion as It has auto ground tracking and an auto interfirance option, 2 less things to drive you mad until you get use to the rest of its settings and cause of the higher price it makes you stick in there and learn it rather then hanging it up in the closet when it gets a bit hard.
When registering the warranty on line get the Ebook they offer as it has all the info of the book but is explained in laymens terms.
Oh.. and welcome :)

Latest posts