Hey!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJS

Nick
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Nick here from WA and new to prospecting. I've not got any gear yet but I'm currently looking and hoping to find a bargain on a X-Terra 505 or 705...Hopefully the Mrs doesn't kill me when I buy one :D!

Gday and welcome NJS, it'll all happen for you if you have a yearning. :)

Cheers for the welcomes everyone :). Can anyone tell me if its worth it for the X-Terra 705 for $750? A guy offered it to me on Gumtree and he said its the dual coil model

Jaros said:
That sounds reasonable for the dual coil. Depends on it's condition though?
Jaros :p

He said he bought it on the 8th Dec in Brisbane so I presume its been hardly used although maybe I can knock him down. What difference does the dual coil make? Cheers :)

The dual pack comes with 2 separate coils, the dd eliptical coil, good for high mineralized soil and is the primary coil when out in the gold fields and the coincentric coil which can punch a little deeper but is noisier on mineralized ground and is used mainly when coin shooting.

Basically the 705 dual pack gives you an all in one machine. Coin and treasure, and gold detector.
Just keep in mind it is good at both but not great at either. It is a good starters detector i really enjoy using my xterra 705. Hope this helps.

M3 :D

Oh, and welcome to PA NJS.

PA has a wealth of info and the members have a lot of experience and knowledge, i have learnt a buttload since joining :D

M3talmiliti4 said:
The dual pack comes with 2 separate coils, the dd eliptical coil, good for high mineralized soil and is the primary coil when out in the gold fields and the coincentric coil which can punch a little deeper but is noisier on mineralized ground and is used mainly when coin shooting.

Basically the 705 dual pack gives you an all in one machine. Coin and treasure, and gold detector.
Just keep in mind it is good at both but not great at either. It is a good starters detector i really enjoy using my xterra 705. Hope this helps.

Ahh ok, so you just change the coils over depending on what your looking for? I mainly want to do beach stuff as I'm pretty close to them although searching for gold would be cool!

I was looking at the 505 too as its $499 from the local dealer but the 705 sounds a lot better

NJS said:
M3talmiliti4 said:

Ahh ok, so you just change the coils over depending on what your looking for?

That's it ;)

I have the xterra 705 gold pack which comes with just the dd coil. I use this coil everywhere, and works fine. The concentric coils is better for parks where it isnt as noisy and punches a little deeper but you dont need it, if you had one you would use it tho. The dd coil will be better to use on the beaches which will help with the salts in the sand and the xterra 705 also has a beach function which when used with the dd helps to ground balance the detector to keep it stable. Someone on here may also be able to elaborate a little more on the different coils but that is them in a nut shell.

I think $750 is reasonable considering its only a few months old, but if you can get it cheaper even better, i think they are about 900 bucks for the dual pack brand new.

Good luck :D

M3talmiliti4 said:
NJS said:
M3talmiliti4 said:

Ahh ok, so you just change the coils over depending on what your looking for?

That's it ;)

I have the xterra 705 gold pack which comes with just the dd coil. I use this coil everywhere, and works fine. The concentric coils is better for parks where it isnt as noisy and punches a little deeper but you dont need it, if you had one you would use it tho. The dd coil will be better to use on the beaches which will help with the salts in the sand and the xterra 705 also has a beach function which when used with the dd helps to ground balance the detector to keep it stable. Someone on here may also be able to elaborate a little more on the different coils but that is them in a nut shell.

I think $750 is reasonable considering its only a few months old, but if you can get it cheaper even better, i think they are about 900 bucks for the dual pack brand new.

Good luck :D

Ahh I get it, so for what I want pretty much leave the dd coil on.

I'll hopefully find out if I can get it in the next couple of days :p

M3talmiliti4 said:
This link will take you to all the info you will need for the xterra range of minelab detectors. Might help for you to make your decision :)

I decided to go with the 505 new from the shop. Just been out with it actually, even though I only found bottle caps lol

Thats the go NJS, honestly if your finding bottle tops then your doing somthing right :lol:

Bottle tops are the bane of our existence :rolleyes:
And pull tabs, and canslaw, and nails, and screws and everything else worth throwing out i.e junk 90% of what you will probably dig up.

If ur finding and digging those suckers then im sure you'll find sumthin decent, we all look forward to seeing what the earth has to offer for you!

M3talmiliti4 said:
Thats the go NJS, honestly if your finding bottle tops then your doing somthing right :lol:

Bottle tops are the bane of our existence :rolleyes:
And pull tabs, and canslaw, and nails, and screws and everything else worth throwing out i.e junk 90% of what you will probably dig up.

If ur finding and digging those suckers then im sure you'll find sumthin decent, we all look forward to seeing what the earth has to offer for you!

Cheers mate, hopefully I can get out tomorrow again, I'vejust been figuring the settings out so hopefully it'll work better for me then :)

Gday and welcome Nick....go for it buy one remember forgiveness is easier to get than permission from the wife lol :p

may the yellow find you.

red

Latest posts