help wanted tumut area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all my next break starts next weekend I am taking the Mrs out looking for gold I really want her to catch the fever aswell I have a few creeks I want to check out along the western side of the range to the northern side of koziosco np but I have only researched these places never actually been I don't want to have her with me and luck out she will probably loose all interest can anyone give me a proven creek in this area or anywhere else within 40minutes of tumut not overly keen on adalong creek near the town I would rather be out in the scrub somewhere. oh yeah I will be useing my river sluice

If don't want to try in town of adelong there is a few other places out of town that I've found good gold,you could try the old scout camp at tonkins bridge at wondalga,or at the new bridge that crosses the adelong creek at wondalga only 20minutes from tumut on the batlow rd hope this helps......
Cheers GR......

If you decide to come this way again towards Adelong, please get in touch with me via Prospecting Australia forum.

Many years ago prospectors would spend weeks at the top end of the Adelong Creek, close to where the Adelong Creek starts as a spring.

The prospectors were using dredging equipment on huge tire tubes with a petrol motor and pump, to run the sucker and to pump to the sluice. You have probably seen a similar setup before in the past. There were several pages in a book I read, which showed quality photos of the area and the equipment being used. There were good reports of alluvial gold finds.

Not far from the top end of Adelong Creek and close by the end of Sharps Creek, there are mining areas within Green Hills State Forest. I know the area. It's fairly good access in drier weather and access is possible in winter if you stick to the better unsealed roads getting closer in.

One may have to walk a few hundred metres in the cooler months of the years due to wet clay but it would entirely depend on what vehicle type you were driving. A good 4WD with winter treads, would take you all the way in.

At Tonkins bridge access to the scout camp area is open access all year round and one can walk into the gully area where the Hindmarsh Creek runs within 100 metres after parking the vehicle. This is close to where Hindmarsh Creek runs into Adelong Creek at a creek junction.

There is opportunity for sluicing and detecting in these areas.

Cheers

Peter

:)

Hi Peter111 and Goldrocs
I am travelling to Tumut this coming Sat, 17th Sept. I should get there around lunch time. Would love to meet if you are available.
Thanks, peterc

Hi peterc

I am new to this gold fever but I can see how it takes a hold of you.

I will be over in Batlow in December visiting friends and I was wondering how you got on at Tonkins Bridge or another area we could have a go at panning.

Thanks
Stuart

Latest posts