Help ID 2 stones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeshybear_x

Alicia
Reaction score
1408791716_snapshot_20140823_2.jpg
1408787875_cutt.jpg

1408790060_cut.png

1408792217_snapshot_20140823_4.jpg
1408792243_snapshot_20140823_5.jpg

Looks like peridot... ( Or pale sapphire)
Depends on where you found it ... That will help you find out what it is even easier if you mention the location .

Possible chrysoprase, peridot, green sapphire. Or chrysoberyl. I'm only a beginner but from my charts in my books, its gotta be one of them! Hope for your sake it is sapphire! I don't know how you would properly do it, maybe someone else will correct me on this too, but if you can't put a scratch in the green stone with a bit of quartz, its sapphire. Too hard to tell with rock #2.

As KS says, knowing the approximate location that these stones came from would give a clue to their identity. Green stone could be fluorite ( hardness of 4 & easily scratched with a knife blade ) or beryl ( hardness of 7.5, slightly harder than quartz & will scratch a knife blade ). It appears to have a rough hexagonal shape more indicative of beryl. Fluorite has cubic crystals and strong octagonal cleavage.
The blue stone has some characteristics of sapphire, displaying different shades of blue when viewed from different directions and also appears to have a rough hexagonal shape. :)

Wow they are some nice stones you got there my guesses are most probably peridot or green sapphire for the first two pictures. For my last pictures my guesses are they are probably blue agate and I can't think of any other names for the last pictures. Any news on your topaz could I get a few pics of your topaz please. Thanks.

I found it years ago, the second stone was given to me from a mate that found it in mount isa. I think its blue opal, on the light blue side its a rainbow coulour when you shine a torch threw it. I'll upload pics of topaz now

If that pale green stone is a sapphire then it's a stonking-sized one, in the hundreds of carats. I have seen them that big on the central QLD field but something like that would be a very rare find - a bloke I know is asking $150 000 for one quite a lot smaller than that (albeit a perfect stone with an outstanding colour change property).

I'm not sure of the likelyhood of it being a sapphire - there are really only a handful of places on Earth where you're likely to find a natural sapphire of that size - but I would consider getting it tested to find out exactly what it is leeshybear. I would think you should be able to find somewhere to conduct the id test in Cairns or Townsville.

Hi again Alicia,
some more nice gem specimens there!
Did you find the green one in qld or futher south?
The milky blue one is most likely opal as you suggested or a moonstone which can appear blue depending on where it formed. Just north if Mt Isa is a good moonstone deposit which I think is also a designated fossicking area.
Best way to check the green ones identity is a scratch test and if that still doesnt give you a definitive answer give JCU a call and see if their geologists can id it for you.
Cheers TGW

Thankyou will get tested soon, arrange something or someone to test it. Fingers crossed its saphire, when you shine a light threw it , its beautiful, even better then in the pic. Im guessing the blue one is opal too, any ideas of how much it would be worth opal that is. Thanks for the help everyone.

p.s im uploading some pics of all of the topaz I have, was wondering just by the amount i have if anyone could give me a rough estimate of how much it would be worth after grading/cutting etc.

I do hope that's a sapphire leeshybear - you are one very lucky young lady if it is. Sapphires like that are very rare. Here's a few in the approximate size range of the stone you have there.

9482865187_b57049964a_c.jpg

Same stone in a woman's hand....

9482875715_6eab7ceecd_c.jpg

9485628018_25f97a90df_c.jpg

Are you sure about that carat weight leeshybear? I'd double check to be certain.

I'm sorry to say but a sapphire that size could not possibly weigh as little as 29 carats - they have a high specific gravity and are therefore a very heavy mineral. It's difficult to be certain from the photos (I don't know the size of your hand for starters) but a sapphire of the size that stone appears to be should weigh several hundred carats at least. Possibly as many as a thousand. I have a sapphire much smaller than that stone appears to be and it weighs in at 150 carats.

Realistically, the chances of finding a sapphire like that are very, very slim.

But I would still get it tested out of interest - it's an intruiging-looking specimen and if it were me I would be keen to know what it was.

Nice collection of topaz there though :)

I will double check but by the sounds of it the weight doesnt really sum up to a saphire and also it does feel pretty light in the hand.

A sapphire of that size should feel very heavy leeshybear. The one in the photo I posted where it is in the palm of the woman's hand, the stone weighs about a quarter of a kilogramme. You should also have great difficulty scratching it with much other than another sapphire or diamond.

Latest posts