Hello

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day I am new to prospecting and have just purchased a Minelab SD2000. I live in the Wombat State Forest in Victoria.
There is a history of gold in this district and I am keen to get out there and give it a go, however I am still learning how to use my machine and learning how and where to look.The posts in these forums are priceless in the knowledge that you give

Hi Wombat, welcome to PA.
If you read through the old posts there is some good info regarding detecting, where to look and how to use your machine.

Don't think that just because your machine is old it won't find yellow.
At a margin of the price of a 5000 let alone a 7000 you have a capable machine that will find gold if used right in the right spots.

I use a sd2200d and it works great with a signal booster.
Best of luck and hope you enjoy your latest hobby.
Reeko

Welcome, you are blessed to have gold in your backyard.

I look forward to seeing you succeed

Enjoy

Greetings Wombat8, as above gold in your backyard is a great start for anyone-we're all jealous.
Good luck in your hunt, the SD2000 is a reasonable machine and should give you a great intro to the hobby.
Jaros :p

wombat, welcome - the 2000 was THE detector when it first came out. It was the game changer for us all - PI technology. Its issues (now) are the fact unless it is modified, it does not have a ferrous/non ferrous discriminator - that is the 2200D.

this is not really a bad thing when first starting out - teaches you to hear the different signals. Early days? Dig everything. Eventually you will learn that if you can kick a target aside, its usually surface rubbish. But please learn this yourself as you may kick aside a legit surface target. The area you are in is pretty good and you are central to all the various Vic gold bearing area. good luck and happy hunting.

gday wombat 8 i had a sd2000 then bought a gp 3000 my mate and me both went out and he found just the same amount of junk as me when i still had it the gp is just more quiet especially in hot ground but the sd is a great machine wish i had kept it cheers

Latest posts