Hello From the snowy Mountains.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome thank you, seems to be a little hard to read on screen, will print it out at work tomorrow. :)

Just match it up to a map that shows private property, state forest and national parks.

Plenty of places to go. The map magnifies.

I'd go to the places marked alluvial to pan though I get gold further South on the Vic border where there is alluvial gold but its not marked on the map.

Ahh I am not getting the zoom function but that's prolly because I am using an iPad to view ATM. When I try to view by pinching the screen it just becomes blurry. I will have a look at it proper at work tomorrow and create an overlay like you suggested. Thanks!

G'day peter
It's been a few years since I've been up that way.
I did the apartments which where the old miter10 building.
As well as we use to go and stay at the snow goose for queens birthday long weekend until 2000
When they decided to shut the rivers off as of the 1st of May.
Would be great to get up there again sometime soon. As I love it up that way.
As well as I love the drive through Barry way.
Will have to send you a message when I get a chance to get back up that way.

Hello guys and girls. Sorry I havnt replied sooner, been out and about working and digging. got myself nearly an ounce the other weekend. ill put up some photos for you to see. the nuggets im getting are quite nice. went out to harden the other weekend and spoke to some old timers about the fields out there. was great to see the old mines and foundations. There is a nice underground mine thats about 1km long through a fellas wheat crop. the entrance is shut now but the tunnel is still there. nearly got him convinced to dig it open again.. see how i go. would be great to catch up with anyone coming this way. im actually heading up to coffs harbour for a dig around for a week so will be interesting. if anyone has any info on the place id love to see as ive never been there digging before. not sure how to post pics or if i can while still a "newbie" track me down and ill be more than happy to show you a few places. none of my finds come out of old prospecting sites. i like to go and find new ones... hard work but it pays off. good luck to all and hope to see you over the summer...and wal.. the fish are big, water is clean and i still cant catch them...fly fishing is a mugs game i tell you..

1383573484_img_1034.jpg

Wow good finds there Peter, and they are from the snowy mountains area? Did you find them by metal detector or gold panning? I live in Canberra and I'm a regular all year round visitor to Jindy, as I own a ski lodge in east jindy. Love snowboarding, fishing, mountainbiking & walking etc, but never really thought of fossicking for gold as most of the good areas are in the national parks ie Kiandra & eucumbene river, so I've never taken my fossicking equipment with us. Are there any good gold bearing rivers that aren't in the national parks that I can get access to with a 4x4? or point us in the right direction. I've been to most of the rivers up that way fishing, so I'm aware of all the locked gates these days. :mad: I can't wait till the new walking/mountainbike track is completely finished from Thredbo to Bullocks flat, it will give much more access to the Thredbo river. :)
thank you
Geoff

Hi Jindy, thanks for the heads up. Haven't made it down that way for prospecting yet but love the area - although not in the Winter!! We are up in the Vic goldfields so have plent of areas up this way to amuse us & have met some great people along the way. Would love to get down that way before we do our big trek around Oz so when we do, would love to catch up. Good luck out there. :)

hey Pete good news on finding gold in this place I would love to know some spots around the mountians all I can conjure up is a couple of gr crevicing alongside the Eucumbene river out of about 10 trips but im still happy :)

Hi Peter

Great info.
My wife is a cycling maniac and has been asked by her cycling friends if she wants to go to the Corryong trip in April. I don't normally go with them but might this time and take the slide on camper and my gold detector with me and do my own thing, when we get bthere. Any idea of areas close to Corryong where I should try? Haven't gota 4WD but reckon should be ok with my Falcon Ute.
Kind Regards

CHRIS

Jindy Gold said:
Hey guys and girls. Ive been digging dirt highbanking and river sluicing around my area and further out and just wanted to drop in and say hi. I live just out of jindabyne and wanted to share some info. We are a bit forgotten down here by the prospectors and clubs and forums etc. I dont get out to much to get to some of the fun days the different groups have as they always seem to be far away in old gold fields northern or mid nsw. I talk to alot of people who ask me is there any gold down this way worth finding. Remember that the old time miners around this way considered the gold fields from where perisher is now all the way to dalgety and bombala. there is over 400 square km of old gold fields down this way. Most of it is very hard to find info on so i have relied on talking the the farmers around the place. Im lucky enough to know some that have been here for 5 and 6 generations. Besides all the gold there is plenty of gemstones around as well. Im more than happy to give away my spots and help others find gold down here. I always find it super hard to find gold when searching a new town as most people wont say anything. my biggest nuggets down here have been in the 8 to 10 gram range with many being 4 or 5 and stacks smaller. I am trying to let people know as all i hear is there is no nuggety stuff down this way just dust and flour. it puts alot of people off. if anyone is coming down for a play or fish in lake jindy or eucumbene feel free to contact me and id be more than happy to show off the snowies. oh and for the record in case you guys are watching vids or hearing stories... Highland gold,,, Alpine gold,,, snowy gold or any reference like that should mean NSW Even though the alpine national park is northern vic. we dont consider vic snowfields to be anywhere other than hotham lol... just trying to clarify as its miss leading for those who are trying to read between the lines and find your secret spots.. corryong, omeo and the northern rivers that flow into that area like swift creek(nice clue there lol) are not considered Alpine by us locals here. Alpine Is for NSW only. Seriously just a bit of tongue in cheek there. Fact is there is a many great places down here to consider and for the victorians the northern towns are not only full of gold but full of australian history... Man from snowy river and corryong go hand in hand. Tom Groggin was where Banjo Patterson met and wrote about the man. Not only full of history but great views and great people. would love to catch up anytime you may visit this way. Dont forget about us southern nsw gold guys, we are few between but passionate and keen to introduce our places.
Good luck, happy hunting and chase us down if you want any info. Cheers Peter

iv spent a lot of time in these parts on 4x4 trips but not since i got the gold bug' they are lovely gold nuggets bloke hope theres lots more of those found!

G'day, Dave here. I live in Jindabyne and looking for a buddy to go detecting and highbanking. I have a Garrett ATX, so far no joy , just a few specks panning. All my highbanking gear is still over in Laos. Please contact me if anyone is interested in going out or just sharing experiences.
Regards Dave

Hi gravy, hope you find someone, been to Jindabyne heaps of times, used to live In Khancoban.

Latest posts