Hello from Bundaberg

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrlimb

Michael
Reaction score
I found this forum while surfing the web. My name is Michael and I started looking at the ace 250 or maybe the 350, but the more I read I think I would like to give panning a go. Just wanted to say what a great place this is for information and I look forward to reading more posts.

G'day Mrlimb.

Welcome to the forum. I'm from Caboolture, but working in Melbourne.

I have all sorts of gear, but I must say, I love finding bedrock cracks, scratching them out and panning off the findings. Considering the outlay, I get a lot of good results and satisfaction from doing it. The downstream side of large, I mean boulder size rocks in old stream beds is also good.

It's a good cheap way to start. Who knows, you might find enough to upgrade to a better detector first off.
A bit of Googling will find you some good public areas to try up your way.

I tried a creek up at Jimna over Christmas and found colour. That particular area was not known for it's gold, so it goes to prove the old adage, "Gold is where you find it". Just remember, generally the gold is at the bottom of a crack, or stuck on top of another rock down in there. If you find bands or layers of clay, work the top 1/2 inch or so of it and the gravel/sand immediately above, as the gold generally gets trapped on top. The exception to this is where clay balls have rolled, or traveled downstream, trapping gold on it's surface as it moves. To give you an example, I recently found the bottom half of a very old bottle in a creek bank. The opening was facing upstream and it was full of clay. Just for shits and giggles, I broke it all up and panned it. Found 2 neat little pickers and a bit of fine stuff.

I'd say you would have many creeks inland worth a look. Don't forget your permit, get permission from land owners and fill you holes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers, Ron.

It's a matter of sayin I'll give it a go. There's stuff everywhere to dig up or find. Pick a spot and dig in, there's plenty of room for everyone ! Welcome Michael.

Hello RottenRon and Silver, I Went out to the shed yesterday and made a snuffer bottle found a old trowel and went down to a local creek with the kids frizby. No colour but good fun, will have to get a pan asap

Mrlimb said:
Hello RottenRon and Silver, I Went out to the shed yesterday and made a snuffer bottle found a old trowel and went down to a local creek with the kids frizby. No colour but good fun, will have to get a pan asap

A frizby!! Hilarious.
Good on ya mate. Can't take this game too seriously, coz it's a bit like gambling. Many try, but few make a quid. (including me).
A pan and a bit of research will see you get some colour.
Youtube is always a good place to start.

Cheers, Ron.

Try the Surplus Supply stores to see if they have anything you might need. (Or train your Kids to use the Frizby), and head inland to the mountains(That'll be where all the geological activity most probably took place). pick a high spot to look around your area and see what's off in the distance that looks like it might be worth a visit !

Pan should arrive today. I went up mount Perry way on the weekend and had a play with a dogs drinking bowl. It worked better than the Frisbee but I have a couple of buckets of material to go through when the pan arrives.

Don't forget your paperwork or they can take your vehicle off of you.

G'day and welcome Mrlimb. I've seen a beginner at Kilkivan using a salad platter for a pan one day, I myself have used a hub cap. The army disposals in Bundy have pans and sieves, I bought a steel one from one early last year, man it was a step back in time as I hadn't used one in years. If you have access and handy with tools there are plans on here for making some gizmo's that might help. Just check what you can and what you can't up here in Queensland, we're are a bit behind the times up here.
A good start would be a yabbie pump and tools for crevicing ,( crow bar, pick, shovel, trowel, screw driver ect) anything to open up the crevices, the only thing it's a bit dry around the area at the moment which is a two edge sword. A dry creek-gully means one has to cart water but on the other hand a dry creek-gully means one can get to the bedrock easier where hopefully the gold is.
When the creeks are running a little river sluice is handy or high banker if the budget allows.
In this wacky world of prospecting a person only means to do it as a hobby, something for the kids to do or something to do in the spare time ect but believe me once the fever hits you'll have a vast array of equipment in no time without knowing how it got so out of control.
Enjoy the hobby and good luck
:) Mick

Welcome to the forum Michael. Hard to stick to just a pan or a detector in this game, and the array of equipment soon surpasses all one can use in a lifetime of prospecting.

Problem with this hobby is you always find one of those "got to have" items, knowing full well that the chances of using it more than once is what "Buckley" became famous for.

Best of luck out there and hope the forum can fill in on those days when the fever keeps you house bound.

Cheers Wal.

Hello there Mrlimb. William from Bundaberg here. New to fossicking and looking for people I can get out with on weekends to fossick. Have a Garrett AT Gold. No 4wd.

Latest posts