Has The Golden Triangle All Been Detected Thoroughly?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can still find gold in the GT if you are patient & prepared to listen & learn.

I know a few blokes that find something most times that they venture out.

I also know a lot who have all the flash gear but can't find anything. I reckon the planning & investigation is part of the fun & following a theory that works out is very rewarding.

Ok Larry sounds like you the man must be your all enspirering personality and love for rum :) did you have anything in mind or somewhere to go Queens' long weekend 26 , 27, 28th maybe start a new post so you don't hijack Steve's post and poor me will tag along but only if your going would hate to miss out ;)

Gday Mirrors,

I always have a theory on where to look for gold in a particular area, otherwise Id be just wandering around aimlessly & living in hope.

This takes into consideration the advice from others, where gold has been historically found, where I have previously found it, where it is likely to have travelled from & could have deposited, the type of ground, type & mix of vegetation etc.

I also always pay particular attention to posts from blokes like Loamer, Oldtimer etc.

Over time when youre out in the bush you take a lot of information in subconsciously & you start to see some patterns. This all helps to refine your thinking on where to look. Otherwise theres a bloody lot bush out there.

Although, just when I think that Im starting to see a pattern, lll find a bit in a totally different scenario & that will challenge many of my previous assumptions.

This makes it all the more rewarding when you stumble over a bit.

No doubt there is a big amount of luck in there as well, having a theory could help to tip that luck in your favour.

Gravity said:
Ok Larry sounds like you the man must be your all enspirering personality and love for rum :) did you have anything in mind or somewhere to go Queens' long weekend 26 , 27, 28th maybe start a new post so you don't hijack Steve's post and poor me will tag along but only if your going would hate to miss out ;)
gravity its the australia day weekend , sorry steve dont mean to hijack your post...larry

Hi All,

I have a query about my approach to detecting in the Golden Triangle that you might help me with please.

It has been a recurring thought, I have wanted to discuss this with somebody, so hopefully the best approach is to write my thoughts here.

This is what we might regularly hear; -

"It has all been detected before"

"There is no gold left there to detect" (eg: Dunolly, Tarnagulla, etc.) -

"everyone is going to other areas just to try to find something".

"There has been detectorists over and over these grounds for 30 yrs"

With this in mind, I have never yet been into the popular areas, such as the above, due to my perceived scarcity of probable finds.

I do use the GPX 4800 with big coils, so I think to consider going there anyway and to go over these grounds again to try to source deeper lying gold.

The question in my mind is

Are these areas picked clean and is it still worth it to go over these grounds anyway?

What might you say?

Thank you, Steve Wilko
Yeah but we keep finding gold still particularly in those two areas you’ve mentioned you see that you’ve got walk over it to find it😊so start walking around and you just may find a bit or two👍

Reckon there would be three ways to go.
1. The Star Trek approach to go boldly (hopefully) where no man (prospector) has gone before. (We wish)
These are maybe areas which have no traditional gold workings but by geological indications seem no different to areas where gold has been found. A bit of geological knowledge and research may be your best bet there. But also maybe just taking a chance.
2. The technology approach involves having the best (maybe newest) detecting gear to go over ground that in the past has been highly productive but thrashed by prospectors using less capable gear. There are always nuggets big and small just out of reach of previous era‘s technology.
3. The expert approach that involves patience, skill and thoroughness on using just the gear that one possesses in the most productive way. Working slowly and listening for faint whispers can also be successful in uncovering those just out of reach nuggets. Having a detector‘s settings in the most optimal configuration for the ground to be detected can also identify those targets. Thorough ground coverage of every inch can also help.
Maybe the easy stuff has gone, but I don’t reckon the GT is finished by a long way.

its like a bag of lollies, sooner or later the pickings become slim especially if the lolly is what everyone likes
2 of the last 3 gold detectors ML released seem to be more focused on being extra sensitive for smaller gold (6000 & 2300)
I dont get anywhere near the returns for my efforts I use too
way more people are detecting these days compared to 20 years ago
ML is now using integral coil chips so they can capture more revenue per detector sold
statistics are no longer visible on this forum
Blah Blah Blah

I've been prospecting with detectors since I was 12, I'm now 61. Folks these days have no idea what is was like. Back then rarely we found rabbit shit like today

Absolutely the GT is flogged, believe me. I'm 4th generation in my family to chase gold in Victoria, anyone who tries to convice you otherwise is doing so for a reason! Returns have diminished, dramatically.

Last edited:
Reckon there would be three ways to go.
1. The Star Trek approach to go boldly (hopefully) where no man (prospector) has gone before. (We wish)
These are maybe areas which have no traditional gold workings but by geological indications seem no different to areas where gold has been found. A bit of geological knowledge and research may be your best bet there. But also maybe just taking a chance.
2. The technology approach involves having the best (maybe newest) detecting gear to go over ground that in the past has been highly productive but thrashed by prospectors using less capable gear. There are always nuggets big and small just out of reach of previous era‘s technology.
3. The expert approach that involves patience, skill and thoroughness on using just the gear that one possesses in the most productive way. Working slowly and listening for faint whispers can also be successful in uncovering those just out of reach nuggets. Having a detector‘s settings in the most optimal configuration for the ground to be detected can also identify those targets. Thorough ground coverage of every inch can also help.
Maybe the easy stuff has gone, but I don’t reckon the GT is finished by a long way.
Point #1 = success. When the big rushes were on, there were people working "poor" ground. When news of a big finds got to them, they packed up headed for the rush.
There were wars inbetween, and a lot of that "poor" ground didn't get worked again. It's probably not good enough for the big companies, but enough to keep us newbies interested.

Hi All,

I have a query about my approach to detecting in the Golden Triangle that you might help me with please.

It has been a recurring thought, I have wanted to discuss this with somebody, so hopefully the best approach is to write my thoughts here.

This is what we might regularly hear; -

"It has all been detected before"

"There is no gold left there to detect" (eg: Dunolly, Tarnagulla, etc.) -

"everyone is going to other areas just to try to find something".

"There has been detectorists over and over these grounds for 30 yrs"

With this in mind, I have never yet been into the popular areas, such as the above, due to my perceived scarcity of probable finds.

I do use the GPX 4800 with big coils, so I think to consider going there anyway and to go over these grounds again to try to source deeper lying gold.

The question in my mind is

Are these areas picked clean and is it still worth it to go over these grounds anyway?

What might you say?

Thank you, Steve Wilko
My recent 725 nugget patch in that area would suggest that it is not all gone?...patch size is still growing, I'm hoping to get to 800 nuggets at least...

Do we get to see some photos?
Sure..got heaps of photos..If I get to 1000, I'll write a story for Gold, Gem and Treasure! Standard GPX5000 with NF Evo coils found the first 485, now I've had the Detectronics Mod on the 5000 for about 5 weeks and I've found another 240 so far...where I couldn't get any more with the standard.

Attachments

• IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2187.JPG
    IMG_2187.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2188.JPG
    IMG_2188.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Perhaps...but my modded 5000 beats the 6000...0.5 grammer at 1 foot was a very faint signal in hard clay, a 6000 user nearby tried it and couldn't hear a thing...

Yes you are getting very small gold for a 5000. It's similar to what we get with the 6000 but I think the 5000 is better on the big deep gold and the 5000 is much more reliable. The only problems I ever had with the 4500 were broken wires that I could easily fix in the field. When the 6000 dies, and it regularly does, all you can do is pack it up and send it back.

Latest posts