Hand Pump in Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can you use a hand Bait pump for recovering fine Gold in the rivers or streams in Victoria. The Miners rights rules are a bit sketchy when it comes to this Ruling.

I've watched many use them to find sand yabbies in the creeks. They then classify them using a sieve over a pan to let the undersize ones drop through and pick out the larger ones for bait. They then pan off the juvenile yabbies so they can return to their burrowing. Some have reported that they even found gold in the pan :)
The answer's YES tvtom. As Jaros said it's hand operated - just like a shovel.

Other than non mechanical hand tools.........Well define that if you can....

tvtom said:
Other than non mechanical hand tools.........Well define that if you can....

IMO the rules were set up to stop the use of dredging, water blasting and motorized digging etc
These use powered mechanical aids for indiscriminate extraction of higher quantity of materials.

Like a corking gun or pliers a crevice pump would be considered a hand tool.

"Mechanical" definition: of or relating to machinery.
A jack hammer is a mechanical hand tool and is not permitted for fossicking, whereas a pick (non-mechanical hand tool) is.
Similarly hand operated spades, buckets etc fall under the classification of non-mechanical hand tools.

Yer it is ........ But have a look see first ............ That question has been answered many time,s already .
Try looking first . the amount of newbie,s that ask the same thing and then get chity when myself or another member
says to have a look around for yourself . So Remember that !!!!!!!!!!

dam it said:
Yer it is ........ But have a look see first ............ That question has been answered many time,s already .
Try looking first . the amount of newbie,s that ask the same thing and then get chity when myself or another member

Take it easy mate. Its better to ask 10 times than do something stupid once.

tvtom said:
Can you use a hand Bait pump for recovering fine Gold in the rivers or streams in Victoria. The Miners rights rules are a bit sketchy when it comes to this Ruling.

Every prospector I know uses a hand pump. Either yabbie pump or home made PVC one. No problem using it mate. I hope that answers your question.

Beagleboy said:
dam it said:

Take it easy mate. Its better to ask 10 times than do something stupid once.
That was easy :) did not try to Offend anyone or start a brew ha ha
But New Members need to look around a bit ( on the forum ) for the answers to there questions .
There is so much Information on here :) Posted by people that really know there chit .

Are you practising to be a grumpy bum 'smilie' today dam it? I prescribe a few days out bush detecting to chill you up a little :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, Looks like Dam it has hit rock bottom. 8)
Probably would be the strongest statement I have ever heard him say
or post. LOL
Probably like the rest of us grumblingly stuck in doors eh mate. ?
To TvTom,
Right up the very top of the page just about in the middle of the black header
is a magnifing glass.
Click on that then type your search key words in.
Then spend the best part of the week reading what comes back at you.
Oh, Welcome to the forum. LOL

We crack you up. ????
Think I have problems. :lol: :lol:
Have a look in a mirror some time. :8

dam it said:
Tathradj said:
Yep, Looks like Dam it has hit rock bottom. 8)
Probably would be the strongest statement I have ever heard him say
or post. LOL
Probably like the rest of us grumblingly stuck in doors eh mate. ?
Ah ........... you Guy's crack me up :lol: :lol:

tvtom said:
Thankyou very much for the help and positive answers I have received..Tom

Welcome Tom,

Take what you need from the replies, never stop looking for information or asking questions.
I think some of the rules need clarity for everyone including newbies. (If it was that clear the questions would not be asked in the first place! My 2 cents worth)

Example:Years ago I'd just bought a boat and sitting my license along side was the commodore of a local yacht club. I had achieved 100% and he had failed and was asked to book in again.

Cheers

Latest posts