Grrrrrrr!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madtuna

Only owns one toaster
Reaction score
Spotted a camper tucked away in the bush not far from a well. Drove over to see who and introduce myself but no body there but car tracks visible heading towards the well so I followed them.

Tracks went passed the well and towards the next one, not in a gold area and towards an area that has recently flooded and the ground is very soft.
Followed them and could see where they had turned around and headed back up another track that is impassable and as there were no track heading back out I knew there was a fair bet I would find them coming back out (hopefully) or bogged.

Yep 4 klms in I find a Hilux bogged up to the eyeballs with a mid 70's NSW couple huddled inside and extremely relieved to see me.

Time is about 4.30pm and they had been there since the morning, no recovery gear, no comms, no food and only a thermos of coffee.

You guessed it, I got bogged trying to pull them out. As they had not eaten all day I gave them what food I had and plenty of water.
They slept in their car that night and I slept in my ute plus in front of a fire when it got too cold.

The next morning I hiked 17klms to the road with the intent of getting a lift into town and then out to the homestead to get my other ute to pick these people up and drop them back at their van and let them sort out getting their car out themselves. Lucky for them and for me a mining company offered to get us out and did with the aid of my 5 chains and two snatch straps. We nearly bogged the mining companies ute too.

Some people are just plain stupid and should stay at home and take up knitting. :N:

You did good Madtuna.....showed smart bush skills to track and retrieve a retired couple who went for adventure, and quickly got out of their depth.

This is all too common i know, lack of prep n experience.

They were lucky you came along mate. ;)

Yeah you def did the right thing. Good stuff.
I see things like that in the outback fairly often unfortunately. And really REALLY stoooopid things every now and then too :rolleyes:

Good on you Madtuna,nice reminder for us all that when going bush you need to be prepared for anything.Can't believe they were out there with no recovery gear or food or water.Things could have been really bad I if they were stuck there for a few days and you hadn't of found them.Thanks for posting.

Not hard to track, the ground is waterlogged so tracks are deep.

Where they were bogged the track is now cactus for about 100 yards. They gave a half hearted thankyou and I gave about 20 very sincere thankyou's and a carton of beer.
There are some fair dinkum units floating about the station at the moment and the law says we can't punch them unfortunately.

Yes but i can understand the frustration with people that have NO idea but think they know everything and are bullet proof (sounds like my stepfather :D )
Enough to make a bloke drink (oops to late :p )

Same old adage for remote travelling.
Expect and be prepared for the worst.
Drive to suite both you and the capabilities of
your vehicle.
Don't try and be a self proclaimed Hero.
Respect Mother Nature.
If you are not sure, Don't go or don't do it.

Well done Madtuna :Y: Amazing how ill prepared some people are. :(

Winches are getting pretty cheap these days so there's no excuse not to have one if you intend to do solo trips in rough stuff.
My mate has a cheaper winch, I thought it would pack up after one go, but a couple of years later his still works fine.
So you're better off with a cheap one that nothing. Also keep in mind when you use a snatch block (pulley) you almost halve the strain on the winch.
At the very least, people should fit recovery points so others can get them out safely.

davent said:
Im getting one of these, harder to use, but more flexible and a flat battery dont matter.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pr...ch-Manual-Hand-1600kg/103434?menuFrom=1021388

If in flat country and you need an anchor point we used a flat piece of 10mm x 100mm x 1 metre steel plate with 4 x 30mm holes drilled in it and carried 4 pieces of 25mm x 400mm gal water pipe. The plate had a 5th hole at 1end to fix a "D shackle" for the anchor point. Knock the pipe in at an angle facing forward of the direction of pull. Faster than digging a hole to bury the spare wheel, sand might need longer pipe we never used it in sand. When the Turner died we used the cable from it and substituted the turfer with a high lift jack. We were bogged for 6 hours one day in black soil between Cobar and Burke in open ground if it wasn't for the plate we would have struggled.

Well done MT, should have charged those people.

MT... hat's off to you once again for going beyond in a bid to assist.

Sure, the ground made tracking easy....but it took nouse to recognise just what the situation was ;) ...most would arrive to an empty camp and not give it another thought.

IMO...MT is Hero of the week...those folks owe you more than a debt of gratitude buddy... :Y:

Gypsy

Latest posts