Ground near Cue - any suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im currently sitting in Cue, newly acquired GPX4000 (compliment to the F19 that started my new addiction) is on charge after this mornings outing and now trying to figure out some ground to target.

I was up at Webbs early this morning until the mercury hit 38C and then beat a hasty retreat. One bullet, countless bits of iron, a horse shoe, lots of flies and some pretty rocks (not found with the detector!).

I tried across a salt and pepper area and also followed along some run off channels. These seem to be a magnet for small bits of iron and on reflection Im now wondering whether gold would actually move into and along a channel during a heavy rain.

From reading around I understand that Webbs has been gone over extensively however can anyone point me at a particular area round there where finds have been made so I can learn what a good potential area looks like and have a swing with more than a 0 chance of finding something yellow.

Have read through what to look for on this forum but Im not seeing the types of features noted.

Cheers for any helpful suggestions on features or areas.

Pop into the tourist park or the hotel there and someone should be able to point you in the right direction. I havent worked out how to load tengraph on this thing yet so cant even help with vacant or pending ground sorry.

Good luck Phil.

Thanks for the reply madtuna. Ive got the pending tenements mapped out and since my first post have managed to get some advice for where to look in that area (further south than I actually was located). If anyone has any pointers to offer on what features to look for on the ground that would still be useful. Ill try again on the ground at first light .....

Look for ground changes, outcroppings of any sort, contact zones between different rock types, wash areas....
Salt and pepper is good, but not what I look for.
Pay attention to vegetation changes that could signify an old creek no longer visible at surface level. A line of kurrajong trees across a flat etc.
I love hot rocks too and the more mineralised the ground the better.
Always keep an eye out for signs that the old timers spent a bit of time there, something peaked thier interest so it should peak yours too.

Good luck mate.

Hi Phil,
Suggest that you download GeoMap.WA (or just use GeoView.WA - on-line viewer) from DMP and turn on a local surface geology layer (overlay on local topo and tenements layers) and look for CZL (laterite) grounds per the article below:
PS: even though you don't need 40E permits to detect on pending leases, always ensure the relevant Pastoralist is notified before going on their leases.
1523114202_czl.jpg

madtuna said:
. I havent worked out how to load tengraph on this thing yet so cant even help with vacant or pending ground sorry.

Good luck Phil.

madtuna / phil001,

(Firstly not wanting to hijack the thread) if you are using iPad to use Tengraph you need to download Citrix from the DMP website

If you want to screenshot from the iPad press both buttons at the same time this will catch the current screen and load to photos that can then be loaded to the forum via the image icon at the top of this message area....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

1523160415_img_0011.jpg

Just took this from the DMP website to test the theory...
I was trying to get into Tengraph the site is down
Reason for edit additional text

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

No probs mate as always on here we all pass on information no matter where we get it....
Glad to be able to help...

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Lot of pending ground just Magnet side of Lake Austin. Some good looking ground. Look for shale, greenstones and dirty quartz.
1523174819_screenshot_from_2018-04-08_16_06_15.jpg

Thanks to you all for the string of useful information.

I was on the ground at first light and managed to keep going until 3-30 despite it warming up to 40c around lunch time. Tried three different spots today and all showing signs of being worked over quite extensively. Figured that the ground must be good and there might be something left behind. Tally today; staple, assorted nails / wire fragments, various hot rocks, bullet and ring pull but no yellow stuff.

Ill keep trying, hearing the detector catch a target is just a little bit addictive and Im sure there is some gold out there somewhere....

Hi Phil001
Please take note you are getting advice from a bloke with 1 season's prospecting experience
This may sound a little counter logical but it helped a bloke who asked for help with his new GPX 4500
I've never used anything other than a 7000, I'd been doing alright out at the spot where he approached me but realised I could actually help him
Grabbing my rubbish tin, I fished out a small and a large piece of lead shot and gave them to him and said most of the gold ive found is about this size around here, if you can tune your detector to hear the small one, your tuned for gold in the area
Off he went and about a week later he spotted me in a caravan park, came over shook my hand and showed me his finds
I know bugger all about prospecting, Ive spent 30 years metal detecting though and getting to know how your machine works is for me the second of three steps, the third is mastering coil control, I guess the first is knowing where to bloody look!
All the best, keep the fluids up, that's hot weather you're working in mate
Bazza :)

Guys. Thanks for all the useful information being provided. I actually got back to Perth a couple of weeks ago after what added up to 8 full days swinging my detector (Cue, Meekatharra, Yalgoo and Sandstone areas). In that time I managed to find a single nugget which was on ground slightly to the west of Cue and close to the lake. I dont have a balance but guesstimate the weight just under a single gramme and am very happy....

1526657218_8ae67ffb-3cca-4de9-a893-8342747e45d5.jpg

First nugget and likely would t have happened without the help of the information shared by members on this forum - thanks! Im going to be leaving Oz shortly but I have a case of gold fever and am planning a final short trip to Menzies area, if anyone has any good pointers for ground there Id love to hear from them.

:Y: :Y:

BigWave said:
Hi Phil,
Suggest that you download GeoMap.WA (or just use GeoView.WA - on-line viewer) from DMP and turn on a local surface geology layer (overlay on local topo and tenements layers) and look for CZL (laterite) grounds per the article below:
PS: even though you don't need 40E permits to detect on pending leases, always ensure the relevant Pastoralist is notified before going on their leases.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6786/1523114202_czl.jpg

Bigwave do you have any more info on this article or what place it came from ?

Latest posts