Greetings from SA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently read a book called "Gold Rush" by Jim Richards. This book (whilst only set in Australia for a small part of the story) inspired me to get a metal detector explore my own backyard (literally and metaphorically). Whilst I have travelled the globe, I have barely scratched the surface of this beautiful country.

My uncle leased some land in VIC and lived in a caravan in WA in the search for gold. Unfortunately he passed away before getting that elusive big nugget.

I have always collected pre-decimal coins and have a soft spot for gold, silver and let's be honest...money in general. My search so far has been on the internet but now I want to get outside and explore.

Currently I am impatiently waiting for my Tesoro detector to arrive in the post. Meanwhile I have been reading the posts of this forum....awesome stuff guys, I could spend days reading through these posts. I feel that I have learned so much already yet have so much to learn.

I think you are all onto something here - Great Outdoors, Thrill of the Chase, History Lesson, Friendship, Fitness, Fun....

Now I just need to decide what and where to hunt....any suggestions welcome....

Hi LB. Welcome mate. I joined this forum (my first and only) nearly 2 years back as a solitary/quiet(ish) gold detectorist (of ~ 4 years).
Now, I have learned much; made many good friends; enjoy the friendly (sometimes highly spirited) banter, and have enjoyed sharing great finds (mingled with a few tall tales) with others around the bush telly with a nice red - or two ;).
All round Australia (it seems) we have some great meets and camp-outs; both regular and ad hoc.
I trust you'll find this forum as enlightening and as friendly as I have. We're a mixed breed here - from all walks of life, yet we're all brothers/sisters in our shared hobby. Good luck on your quest :Y:

Hi Liquid

Welcome. Your journey has started now. Good luck with the detecting.

1509363961_welcome.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I actually got my Tesoro delivered today and as you do I got straight into it....

For sake of nostalgia I thought I would post my first backyard find.

1509437214_bolt.jpg

Gotta start somewhere...

PS. I really need headphones, the beeping is pretty loud from these things. Had the neighbours looking over the fence.

Tried park for an hour - 1$ & 2$ coin and a bottle top. Beach for an hour - 5c piece and a nail...at least I know my detector works...

Also went out today for about 3 hrs. Unfortunately no luck today maybe next time.

Latest posts