Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tathradj said:
Arrogance and disrespect at it's best. :mad:
They live amongst us, unfortunately. :mad: :mad:

It's actions like this that has resulted in us no longer giving any details on locations in our future vids and flagging several of our vids as "Private" only. We know it's not the "majority" who cause any issues, but the "minority" seems the be growing at an alarming rate. :|

Wal.

I really don't blame you Wal.
Some people just don't care about things like this.
They have no respect what so ever.
As long as they get their "Fix."
That is all they care about.
The ones who do the right thing are trying to keep the integrity of our hobbie respectfull yet
are having our feet kicked out from under neath us by these so called "Prospectors."

Absolutely spot on Wal.
In the last 18 months I've seen a quite a few areas which have been ruined because other's have revealed the location's.
I hope none of our members are part of this kind of behavior and continue to do the right thing.
We do have a lot of passengers who drop in on the forum and I guess that some may not be there for the enjoyment only.
Regards Steve

one thing I love about where I fossick, is my favorite spot, there is NO signs of human activity at all, no cig butts, no trash to dig up, no nothing, thats why i get excited at every signal.....only been there twice, but will be regular next dry season.

WalnLiz said:
Tathradj said:
Arrogance and disrespect at it's best. :mad:
They live amongst us, unfortunately. :mad: :mad:

It's actions like this that has resulted in us no longer giving any details on locations in our future vids and flagging several of our vids as "Private" only. We know it's not the "majority" who cause any issues, but the "minority" seems the be growing at an alarming rate. :|

Wal.

Unfortunately this always happens when you popularize some hobby or activity. Some may noticed that most of experienced prospectors had stopped contribute to the forum. Real knowledge is precious commodity and should be appriciated, specially when gained for free as it is on this forum.
Hopefully this prospecting fad will fade in few years time, as most of fads do.
Karl

I've only been prospecting for a very short time and a new member here, although after a little reading on this forum I have come to the conclusion that the public fossicking area and private property around Grabben Gullen Creek are being disrespected in the greatest way possible, this is such a shame.
It is very unfortunate for the prospecting community that the disrespectful minority are slowly ruining all the fun for the honest and respectful majority.
I just hope that in the future my children still have opportunity to prospect, as the way its going I'm guessing that the land owners and government authorities will soon get fed up with these mentioned actions.

I am heading to GG tomorrow with the family, hope to see some of you good guys out there?

Good on you Wal for raising this issue.

I forgot to mention that as a newbie I will be using the public area. I am not the kind of person that would ask for permission to enter ones property if I do not know them, even if this is acceptable practice. Nor will I be dropping names of people I don't know. I will be out there doing my "research" and learning for myself in the most respectful way possible as many of you have done in the years past. :)

What a shame it has to come to this.. My family enjoys WalnLiz vids as my as we enjoy David Attenborough docos.. So Booo to the people that have taken that little bit of extra enjoyment from our household

its going to be one of those years I have already been to 2 fires in the last fortnight , people just don't get it , seeing the devastation fire causes is the only way to educate people. People don't grow up with fires be it heaters, rubbish burns , cracker nights or camp fires so they don't get the knowledge that was naturally installed in us. Spend a summer on a fire truck and you will see stuff you wish you didn't.

Thanks wal great post and I hope anyone with links to other forums post similar warnings

Unfortunately posting on you tube will gain more than you bargain for and the people who are using your name are probably not on the forum or forums
Maybe change the name on you tube to, i hate all farmers, may stop them getting on to properties

I have only posted one video on you tube and i was silly enough to do a bit of a panorama, next time i went it looked like most of melbourne had been there
Be careful what you share

Yup 20 years ago there was this really nice quiet little ski town called Niseko in the far off land of Nippon. Alas someone let the secret out.

the duck said:
Unfortunately posting on you tube will gain more than you bargain for and the people who are using your name are probably not on the forum or forums
Maybe change the name on you tube to, i hate all farmers, may stop them getting on to properties

I have only posted one video on you tube and i was silly enough to do a bit of a panorama, next time i went it looked like most of Melbourne had been there
Be careful what you share

Two sides to that argument Duck. Modern society is going down hill in a big way, with more youth going down the track of drugs, restlessness, crime, abandonment and lack of self esteem. Who is to blame for this one might ask. I say it's the "Parents", and their philosophy that "somebody else" will educate their children, find them a sport or hobby to exercise their brain, teach them right from wrong, teach them to respect others and their property, and the list goes on.

Let me tell you one thing that I've learned in my short course of life......far too many parents have let the current generation down by focusing on themselves only, at the detriment of bringing up well balanced children believing someone else will do the hard yards for them. Just go back into your own childhood days if you are presently over 50 years of age. You could leave your wallet on the car dash, with the car unlocked, leave the house door open when not at home, go home from a meal in town not expecting a fight, and that list goes on and on.

There was many prospecting clubs and members around in my era, with a willingness to teach newcomers what a wonderful hobby this prospecting was. There was always respect for private property and personal possessions.

Some people like myself believe that by promoting a hobby such as this for both "Parents" and their "children" just may spark a flame to encourage those parents to take some time with their own children and venture into the outdoors rather than down to to local pinball parlor in pursue of something that may just go a small way into molding a far better society for our grand children. I stick with the motto..."You're only on this earth for a short time".

I could easily take the selfish way out and only take my kids and grand kids prospecting, and good riddance to the others i know are missing out on a great learning experience, OR, i could try and do a very small part in helping educate some people, that there is more to life than being self centered and selfish with passing on life experiences to the next generation.

Do I regret posting vids for others to see that life can have many bright and adventurous sides.....NO.... Do I regret that more parents out there couldn't really give a hoot about properly involving their children in pastimes that just may help keep a balance of both being street wise and being in tune with nature....Yes.

The task ahead for society requires a lot of effort by the so called "Teachers" aka "Parents, and in my dream at least, some day a balance in humanity will maybe triumph over greed and self importance, and the prospecting paddock will again become a pleasurable place to spend a day, as it always was in my early years.

In saying all this I will continue to share prospecting experiences in the "hope" that more than the "greed" element is highlighted by others, but locations will be only of a very general nature so as to at least give those wishing to have a go at this great hobby a steer in the right direction.

Well said, Wal, a very unselfish attitude. My wife is an High School science teacher, and what is even worse than the parents who expect teachers and school to provide the discipline that kids don't get at home, is those parents who want the school to give free reign to their little darlings who can do no wrong, and actively resist any attempt to provide structure and order and the expectation that the kid actually does some work. This is a generation who will get a shock when they have to enter the workforce!

Incidentally, Jannine did show one of your vids to a low ability science class, and she said they were fascinated by it, so there is hope that your very interesting videos are having the effect you are hoping for.

Great to hear that some of the kids were fascinated by the vid that was shown to them Duck. If by chance anything down the track in the form of a possible school excursion on outdoor activities comes to light , tell Jannine that I would be more than happy to offer my services free of charge as a guide and tutor, supplying pans, sieves, and information.

Take care,

Wal.

I have been taking my kids to the bush since they were babies. As a result of that my 19 year old son loves spending time there any opportunity he has. I have though him to be respectful of the nature and make sure when he leaves no one knows he was there. He has his own 4x4 now and goes out all the time with his mates.
He got his first knife when he was about 6 and I though him to drive a car when he was 8 (on my uncles farm). He knew how to jump start a car and change a tyre when he was just a kid. These days kids are mostly interested in Xbox and don't have any idea about the real world. I do agree with you that the parents are to blame. There is no easy way to learn about what it takes to be successful in any thing you do and sooner or later the kids have to work it out for them selves. You can not keep them in cotton wool forever. All you doing is setting them up for disappointment when they become adults.
I am very proud of my kids and how they turned out to be. My son still loves his PlayStation but a camp fire is definately what he prefers.
I am sorry that you had to write this post about people taking short cuts and being disrespectful to your mates. I really appreciate your videos and the knowledge you shared with everyone so please don't stop.

Hi All,

I've been lurking online for a while and decided it's time to start posting.

I'm planning a camping/sapphire fossicking trip and looking at Grabben Gullen. I've read that much of this area is private property with the exception of the road side.

Could someone tell me if camping around this area is a no good and how much creek access is available. I don't want to upset any farmers - any advise here would be great.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Latest posts