Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys. I took the family out to Grabben Gullen also on 30 Jan. First time fossicking since I was a kid. Found 5 small blue stones off around the corner to the left of the bridge but found it hard to keep the kids engaged with so little to show them. Noticed all the submerged rocks have all been cleaned out around them but that is to be expected I guess. Pair of waders definitely came in handy. Gonna meet up with the Canberra Lapidary club on their next meeting in Feb and look to learn more and get to meet some like-minded people. Cheers!

Parawraith said:
Hi guys. I took the family out to Grabben Gullen also on 30 Jan. First time fossicking since I was a kid. Found 5 small blue stones off around the corner to the left of the bridge but found it hard to keep the kids engaged with so little to show them. Noticed all the submerged rocks have all been cleaned out around them but that is to be expected I guess. Pair of waders definitely came in handy. Gonna meet up with the Canberra Lapidary club on their next meeting in Feb and look to learn more and get to meet some like-minded people. Cheers!

Hay mate glad you found some stones, its hard having a dig and keeping an eye on the kids at the same time, Ill be down that there on sunday myself setting up the HB, might leave the kids home,LOL

You do get better results if you walk further a field,

Happy hunting
Ryan

Parawraith said:

Yep Waders are definitely next purchase :D

Got the bug hard, thinking of how I can work it so I can spend all weekend back down there already :D
I'm also going to go to the lapidary club here, want to learn how to cab and then eventually facet,

Hopefully see you there

I'm keen to get out and find more than just Sapphires but need to tap into peoples' knowledge and experience.

Next purchase will be a 4WD though. Took the missus' Holden Cruze to Grabben Gullen. It was a nice shiny blue when we headed out and was a dirty yellow when we got home...lol. She was not impressed! Need to replace my Commodore with something like a Toyota Land Cruiser / Hilux or maybe a Nissan Patrol. Then I'll be in a better position to access more remote areas.

Hi all

I have been on a few trips to Grabben Gullen over the last couple of months. I have only dug in the public fossicking area. I have found a few little blues and some zircons, as well as a 15 ct bomb. The last couple of times the pickings have been very slim.

I will be taking my father-in-law with me on my next trip, it will be his first time fossicking. I am keen for him to experience the thrill of flipping a sieve over and seeing a shiny little blue fella looking right up at him.

I am planning on chatting to the farmer that owns the land and get permission to wander up the creek. How far do you guys recommend walking up the creek.

Cheers

Pete

I had the same problem with my wifes car I was told no more till I got my self a 4wd the dust is brutal and the road bouncy not the best when driving lowered car I got my self Nissan Navara best car/truck I have driven comfortable handy ute I still find it hard to find good sites I have been at it for a while now but better out looking than sitting at home listening to the kids fight and the wife nagging have you noticed how when you first look at them they look really big and clear when you get home they don't seam as big and clear any more 8)

Phantom83
Did you end up getting permission off the land owner? I'm heading out there tomorrow for a few days going to try my luck and see if he will let me on his property

Nice it will be my first time there hope I'll get a few. If I do well enough I'll be there for a few days if anyone can get the time off keen to meet up.

Hi Bigred - we are heading out tomorrow too and will pop in at the land owners and see if we can get permission. Might see you there!

Anyone have any hints on how far up the creek one should walk? Not looking for an "x" - just keen to know how far away from the public area you need to get before you get to areas that haven't been flogged.

Cheers

Pete

Plenty of places up or down stream mate , makes no real difference gems are were you find them , you could walk 4 Ks either way and be literally walking over exactly what you are looking for , good luck in the hunt

Is there a way to tell what would likely hold larger gems. ?
I have found plenty of small (1-2 carats) but nothing larger than that.
It's all pretty much luck, but do larger ones tend to sit different to the others.?

Thanks
Jayden

Hi phantom83 did you see a white pajero. I saw someone down where I was but as I was walking back I seen a car driveing away was that you?

Jaydo I'm in the same vote as you! I just spent 3 days down there and I couldn't locate a big one I tryed digging in the bank, digging down in wash layers. The only spots that I was able to find them was in top wash layers I'll put up a pic of what I found.

1424242888_image.jpg

Hi Bigred, some nice colours in there!

Yep, I was out there with my father-in-law all Monday. Had a great day, but only a dozen small sapphires / zircons. We saw the Pajero - where abouts were you setup? We were in the grey X-trail. There was another older couple there from Goulburn as well.

The only ones we found were in the fresh flood wash among the boulders. We got into the creek but didn't find a thing in there. I took about 4 bucketloads of material from under a big boulder in the creek - it was absolutely full of spinel, at least 50 small pieces in every sieve, but no sapphires at all.

Cheers

Pete

I walked the creek first trying to find a good spot but people have been everywhere down there I tryed working the far end on the first day there is a big pebble wash about half way down I was working that's as I noodled a few sapphires off the top but failed to find any bigger ones I tryed digging down and found similar heaps of black jacks and maybe one or two baby sapphires out of 2 buckets I dug down to clay. I even managed to move some huge rocks and found some in the first ft but while digging down I found beer cans I think although it better there than other spot I've been to. Still too many people have been there well before we have! I'm on the hunt for more spots to try my luck, I'm not sure if it's the fact I'm not looking in the right spots or that it's been worked too much already?

Oh and I noticed a pick and shovel down there if you left them behind there still there! :)

Latest posts