Gpz7000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I have just joined the forum and hoped someone might be able to help with my inquiry. I'm new to detecting so please bare with me. I've just purchased the gpz7000 and with the shafts fully extended, I find its only barely long enough. Is there an adjustment I don't know about? Or is this the longest the shafts go? I'm not tall but I think tall people would have trouble if this is the full length available on this machine.

Hi J, my understanding is with the Z that one size fits all, with coin machines I have the shaft fully extended as I am around 6ft in height. I find with the Z you have just got to watch your swing speed ( ie slow)and your walk speed( ie slow)in syncro with your foot movement. ie don't step forward when the 14" coil is in front of you.

Peter

Thanx for the advice. Pity Minelab doesn't make an extension. for almost 10k you would think they would have taken into account that not all people are short arses, like me.

Hi Jungles,
I'm 183cm tall and find it perfect, I often shorten my bungee cord when walking up hill as the shaft would be to long so wondering if you have fully extended the shaft or is it still in packup mode ?

Hi Gravity,
Don't know how you do it ! I'm a short arse at 175cm. while it's ok to use I would like it a bit longer. Yes I have it fully extended, if I try to extend any longer the shaft comes apart. I don't know how anyone taller could use this machine. I guess I will get used to it. I also shorten the bungee when going up hill.
Just for curiosity, what is the total length of your machine, and I will compare mine, just incase i'm doing something wrong. Maybe when/if you have time, measure from the coil sitting on the ground and the shafts at right angle to the coil, and the measurement to the end of the battery. I look forward to checking this measurement. thanks.

Hi Mickkat12

I agree the vest is certinaly a str8 jacket, if you don't use one, what do you use? or do you just swing the beeper unaided and carry the pick freehand?

Ive tried swinging it without any aid, but gets a bit heavy after awhile. Still, betr than a jacket that's for sure. as I have mentioned, i'm new to detecting, so I call it a pick. mayb wrong termology. I will get myself a Maddock.

Lol mines more like a heavy duty gardening tool mate , the smaller ones are picks I think , enjoy it it's tedious imho , I flick in between creeks and detecting , my finds with my z aren't very promising lol

That's my phlisophy also , but I live 5 hours from the gold fields golden triangle so sessions there are sporadic , creeks down here are ok , good luck champ you got the right tool to start with

I use the Full Z vest/bungee and swing aid etc. Buy a good pick could cost $ but its worth it. I made mine. At the digging end is a sharp point made out of a car leaf spring. From center/handle to the point around 130mm. On the other side use a cut down a section of a farmer cast off plough disc. After the cutout, looks a bit like a triangle with the top of the triangle closest to the handle with the bottom about 100mm away and about 100mm wide( good for scraping). Handle (preferably wooden) around 600mm

After pin pointing, scrap away the loose dirt/leaves /sticks, check to see if signal still there if so, scrap away 2cm of soil if still there, loosen the ground with the pointed end then scrap away again etc. During this process I dig one handed ( hence the long handle)with the detector in the other minus the bungee. Deep signals, its off with the vest and 2 hands on the pick.

Plough Disc to me is thin steel but very strong and also has a slight curve.

My thoughts, others may differ.

Peter

AHH too late Peter, I purchased a pick from the shop I got the detector from and yes your right, a lot of money and I find it leaves more dirt in the hole than it scrapes out due to the shape. I will make one from a plough disc I think. i live on a property and there are several lying around. thanks for the measurements I will make one.

Jungles

Hi again all, as a newby i wounder if anyone knows of a good book on, how to read the ground and what the old fellas looked for etc. A book that's written in laymen's terms that is easy to understand.

jungles

Evening jungles,

I am 6' 3" and never use the shaft fully extended - would find it simply too far in front of me.

I can't give you any advice re: putting it together as my wife actually assembled the ZED whilst I was away working away. In no way am I being nasty but wondering if it has been put together right?

Good luck with it ;)

Northeast.