GPZ7000 release, questions and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redfin,
I have no idea how the tracking is set up on the 2300 re (pausing effect) but if its able to be used in fixed...id be using it over tracking. Reason being.....the timing itself and coil size, which can be read about on the Minelab website.
The SDC has the potential to pull nuggets right to the limit of its depth.....and that = how long is a bit of string.? Tracking on all models has the potential to shorten your string if swing speed is mismatched, or the coil fluctuates in height.

These newer timings are pretty much aimed at our nasty ground types, and in my opinion, are not for the milder grounds. The 7k sports a coil not of the mono-loop type...that should tell you something about the 7ks primary objective.? To me its saying something about the handling of nasty ground beyond the edge we got from the older models and the use of monoloop coils. Perhaps the SDC was/is the start of the next level.?

A simple way to took at it is.....DDs=ground handling....the SDC uses a different timing able to work high mineralization and EMI effected areas. Now combine the two and take it a step further.

nuggetino said:
Is this model going to come with coil options or is it hardwired like the SDC?

You would think it would come with a couple of different coils at least, when I bought my 5000 it came with 3, but I think the 11 inch mono and DD were the standard coils which came with it.

Swinging that 14 inch on the GPZ would be difficult in vegetation or rocky areas and pinpointing tiny bits of Gold like the SDC can detect would be frustrating also.

Anyway, looking forward to the release, other details and a read of the manual.

Just a thought........40% deeper because it uses a 14" coil and not an 11" like the 5000 maybe?
14" is 21.4% larger in diameter than a 11" so there 21% more depth.
I would like to know where they pulled this statistic from also, is this on all size coils, gold shape and weights?

Narrawa said:
Redfin,
I have no idea how the tracking is set up on the 2300 re (pausing effect) but if its able to be used in fixed...id be using it over tracking. Reason being.....the timing itself and coil size, which can be read about on the Minelab website.
The SDC has the potential to pull nuggets right to the limit of its depth.....and that = how long is a bit of string.? Tracking on all models has the potential to shorten your string if swing speed is mismatched, or the coil fluctuates in height.

These newer timings are pretty much aimed at our nasty ground types, and in my opinion, are not for the milder grounds. The 7k sports a coil not of the mono-loop type...that should tell you something about the 7ks primary objective.? To me its saying something about the handling of nasty ground beyond the edge we got from the older models and the use of monoloop coils. Perhaps the SDC was/is the start of the next level.?

A simple way to took at it is.....DDs=ground handling....the SDC uses a different timing able to work high mineralization and EMI effected areas. Now combine the two and take it a step further.

The SDC produces a much more compressed and intense audio signal tone also, none of those really iffy sorts of signals you can get with a 5000 where you're thinking to yourself is it or is'nt it, you just know there is a target there after a couple of sweeps over it. The tone is a bit more annoying on the SDC but not when you're finding Gold.

I wish they would bring out an 11inch coil for the SDC, though as mentioned maybe it's just perfect how it is with the timing and coil size.

I guess the GPZ is going to do what the SDC can do with small Gold, EMI and ground noise plus a a lot lot more.

Getting gear lust now........

*When compared to the average performance of the GPX 5000 in testing environments. Actual performance depends on prevailing conditions.

I would take the 40% with a grain of salt. Much like how people say their old SD's will match a GPX for depth. This is true in certain conditions but in heavily mineralised ground the GPX will always shine through. Minelabs "depth advantage" (in my opinion) has never been about raw depth but more to do with improvements in the detectors ability to let the operator know that it can "see" something through advanced timings & audio.
I really don't think that the ZVT technology will be any different I.e probably little or no raw depth abilities but rather better able to let the operator know what its "seeing" in even the harshest environments. I can't wait to check it out - can't afford one though :lol:

As Owen said its not a DD coil by any means , more like a DD x DD if you like
The depth alone would come from the coil and detector platform more or less getting rid of any false-sing cause by mineralisation that now allows you to see the target.

Brumble-Gum said:
Just a thought........40% deeper because it uses a 14" coil and not an 11" like the 5000 maybe?
14" is 21.4% larger in diameter than a 11" so there 21% more depth.
I would like to know where they pulled this statistic from also, is this on all size coils, gold shape and weights?

Sort of hard to compare really BG as it uses a new type of DD coil, generally in the GPX range a DD will reduce depth compared to using a mono. It must be comparing a GPX using the same sized mono as the GPZ DD, if it's not it's gonna be very confusing as to what setup they are comparing the depth with.

Ground mineral and EMI rejection will make it way easier to use than a GPX in a lot of situations, such as near storms or aircraft where a GPX becomes unusable. The SDC can already do this stuff so I'm sure the big 1 should do it way better.

mbasko said:
*When compared to the average performance of the GPX 5000 in testing environments. Actual performance depends on prevailing conditions.

I would take the 40% with a grain of salt. Much like how people say their old SD's will match a GPX for depth. This is true in certain conditions but in heavily mineralised ground the GPX will always shine through. Minelabs "depth advantage" (in my opinion) has never been about raw depth but more to do with improvements in the detectors ability to let the operator know that it can "see" something through advanced timings & audio.
I really don't think that the ZVT technology will be any different I.e probably little or no raw depth abilities but rather better able to let the operator know what its "seeing" in even the harshest environments. I can't wait to check it out - can't afford one though :lol:

I think that makes sense Matt, raw depth was not a concern with the SDC but it can operate in much nastier conditions and find much more difficult to detect pieces with ease. I can't afford it either......Yet.....

I'm wondering also if the screens will stop working as has been the case with a few CTX's of late?

Narrawa said:
Redfin,

Hi Narrawa
The SDC2300, does not have an option to use fixed as it is in constant tracking mode.

The green ground balance button appears to do nothing, until you really start to get used to the SDC.

Someone said above you don't get the iffy targets, well I completely disagree with that, I got some iffy sounds with the SDC on my first trip & doing what I do (check & double check everything) this is what I noticed - "When I got these iffy signals, because you are in tracking when checking the target area the SDC does actually track it out a bit to the point if you were not concentrating you would dismiss it a ground noise, But at this point I did what I always do, re-ground balance to the side of the target area & this is where I worked out that the SDC green button does have a very important function, as the target sound brightened, these iffy signals turned out to be nuggets & not always tiny ones

Points to note - The SDC2300 does give iffy target signals so dig them!!!!!
- The SDC2300 does track out iffy targets, so re- balance!!!!!!

cheers
Lee

Cheers Lee, only used one for a short time....and what you say is spot on bout tracking. All of them do it if your not up to speed on the iffy signals. I and a few others find the 4500 has the ability to track out some iffy signals even when in fixed. No escaping it unless you do as you said re iffy signals and re GB close by to sort these ones out. Some have turned out to be quite significant finds.

I said "really"iffy Lee, I investigate all iffy signals but there just are not as many really iffy ones with the SDC compared to a 5k to my ears, any signal that will pull me up even slightly is always a target and 99% of the time not a ground noise.

Tracking out a target has not really happened to me yet, I always ground balance again while investigating or retrieving it.

To be honest iffy is a pretty subjective term, I've recorded and mixed bands and done audio editing and stuff for 20 years so your iffy may not be the same as mine. Not saying anyones ears are lacking as I know mine are not as good as they used to be but we all can perceive audio differently at different times, some days are better than others for listening.

Some days I think I listen too deeply while detecting and it slows me down when I should probably be covering more ground.

Heatho said:
I said "really"iffy Lee, I investigate all iffy signals but there just are not as many really iffy ones with the SDC compared to a 5k to my ears, any signal that will pull me up even slightly is always a target and 99% of the time not a ground noise.

Tracking out a target has not really happened to me yet, I always ground balance again while investigating or retrieving it.

Hey Heatho
Mate I was not trying to have a go at you (I did not double check your wording when posting that is why I said someone) I was merely outlining what I had found with the SDC, like you say "iffy" is a very iffy term to use as it is totally subjective, I think it is important to treat each detector as an individual & not compare the target response or iffy signals from one to the other!!

cheers
Lee

All good mate, it's all constructive convo, I think you might be right there about individual detectors, thinking about it when auto tuning they set onto different fequencies also, maybe that has something to do with it on different days too??

Mate your finds speak for themselves, wish I was out there with you. :)

Heatho said:
To be honest iffy is a pretty subjective term, I've recorded and mixed bands and done audio editing and stuff for 20 years so your iffy may not be the same as mine. Not saying anyones ears are lacking as I know mine are not as good as they used to be but we all can perceive audio differently at different times, some days are better than others for listening.

Some days I think I listen too deeply while detecting and it slows me down when I should probably be covering more ground.

I think you need to maintain a high level of concentration when ever detecting, more so when cleaning up a patch, patch hunting you can tune out a little more as you are looking for the more obvious targets, but in saying that you still want to hear the quiet ones!! I guess it is a bit of a balance.
cheers
Lee

It's the one that blew my ears out that I missed, "junk" I said being all cocky only to have my mate hit the same target and dig it, was a half gram nug. I felt like a boofhead I assure you. :D

Heatho said:
It's the one that blew my ears out that I missed, "junk" I said being all cocky only to have my mate hit the same target and dig it, was a half gram nug. I felt like a boofhead I assure you. :D

Mate NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Was that the result of fatigue at the end of the day ? or your on-board "Discriminator"

The iffy & the Clangers are all important as I am sure you know It's a BITCH when you get reminded like that!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers
Lee

Narrawa said:
Cheers Lee, only used one for a short time....and what you say is spot on bout tracking. All of them do it if your not up to speed on the iffy signals. I and a few others find the 4500 has the ability to track out some iffy signals even when in fixed. No escaping it unless you do as you said re iffy signals and re GB close by to sort these ones out. Some have turned out to be quite significant finds.

Mate
I have noticed this tracking out of a target signal whilst in fixed on my SD2200d, I wasn't sure to start with but after it happening a few to many times I was able to confirm it, BTW I never lost the signal, as it started to soften I did the GB thing & was able to secure the culprit.

"Lessons are learnt all the time we are out"
cheers
Lee

Latest posts