Google Earth running slow

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loading the waypoints from the hard drive will make it load faster.

Iinet, wont be able to help as I doubt it is your ISP, it seems to more be the PC or whatever you are using.

Can you paste your computer stats here please, ie: Processor, RAM and Graphics Card details mostly. If you don't know how to do this, tell me what windows version you are using and I can help you paste that info too.

GE menu, Tools->Options->Cache [ Clear memory cache, Clear hard drive cache ]

RAM / PC speed could be an issue here, not being able to load up so many locations in one hit. Also, probably too late now, but put GE into "offline mode" next time you can boot it up, disconnect internet so it doesnt access the internet and slow it down, load the GPS co-ords, zoom into the area you need to look at, and if you have gotten that far, re-connect and put GE back into online mode so it will update the satellite imagery.

If it's not your PC, I did have a similar problem as well, it may have even been the same file. I ended up having to uninstall, delete registry files and delete all info I could possibly find on GE to fix it.

These are not answers but merely more suggestions.

If all fails, just better not to use the GPS co-ords, it may be too much of a mess around.

Hi Atomrat

I hope these are the stats ; Presario CQ62 notebook, 3.7 windows experience index,....AMD V140 2.30ghz processor.......2.00 GB Ram....system 64..bit.....thanks Rob..

Is it the ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics card? If you don't know how to do this, I need to know what windows version you are using so I can guide you on finding this info.

2gb of ram should be enough, but hard to tell.

The laptop "should" be able to run it, but depending on how much that GPS data has to load up, it could be bogging it down.

If you cannot open GE at all, uninstall it again, delete the folders where it was installed to, if you know how to do this then run regedit and find ( CTRL+F ) "Google Earth" but if you don't know what regedit is, leave this step out as you can do harm to the PC! and then re-install one more time to just get the program up and running again. After a re-install, please tell me if it can load again, be sure to delete those folders under Program Files or wherever you installed it to.

I gotta go get into the creek, have awesome weather. Don't let it stress you out, its only Google Earth, someone else may be able to print off the areas for you if need be too :)

Try this :
step 1
Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users
1.Double-click the Computer icon on your desktop.
2.Select Organize, then Folder and Search Options.
3.Click View.
4.Under the 'Hidden files and folders' section, select Show hidden files and folders.
5.Click OK.
6.Look for the .dat files in the following directory: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\%Local or LocalLow%\Google\GoogleEarth.
7.Right-click both the dbCache.dat and dbCache.dat.index files, choose Delete, and select Yes to move the files to the Recycle Bin. These files will be recreated the next time you log in to Google Earth.
8.Look for the unified_cache_leveldb_leveldb2 folder.
9.Right-click it, choose Delete, and select Yes to move the folder to the Recycle Bin.

Step 2: Turning Off Atmosphere

To turn off Atmosphere, please follow these steps:
Go to the View menu.
Deselect the option labeled Atmosphere.

If you're still experiencing issues after turning off Atmosphere, try switching between DirectX and OpenGL modes.

Step 3: Switching Between DirectX and OpenGL

Windows users can run Google Earth (Free and Pro) in either DirectX or OpenGL mode. If you're experiencing strange graphics issues, you should try running Google Earth in each mode to see if one works better for your system.

Setting DirectX as your default renderer

To switch to DirectX, please follow these steps:

Click Start > All Programs.
Hover your mouse over your version of Google Earth (Free or Pro) and select Start Google Earth in DirectX mode.

Setting OpenGL as your default renderer

To switch to OpenGL, please follow these steps:

Click Start > All Programs.
Hover your mouse over your version of Google Earth (Free or Pro) and select Start Google Earth in OpenGL mode.

You will need to close Google Earth in order to switch between DirectX and OpenGL modes.

If you're still experiencing issues after trying both DirectX and OpenGL modes, you may need to update your graphics card drivers. In order to do this, you'll first need to determine which graphics card you have.

Step 4: Determining which Graphics Card You Have

If you don't know what kind of graphics card is installed in your computer, you can use a program to determine your computer's hardware, operating system, and graphics card:

Vista and Windows 7 Users: Click the Start button, then type dxdiag in the Start Search box, and select dxdiag from your search results.

Click Yes to the prompt, and the program will begin running.
Click the Display tab, and you'll find the name of your graphics card listed under the 'Device' section.

Step 5: Updating Your Graphics Card Drivers

Step 6: Updating DirectX Drivers

Google Earth requires DirectX 9.0 or later to run properly on Windows machines.

Please visit the Microsoft Download Center to download the latest DirectX drivers for your system.

If Google Earth Pro is crashing at startup even after attempting all of the above steps, it's possible that you have a corrupt myplaces.kml file that is crashing the system upon launch. The best way to fix this problem is to back up your places data, clear out the Google Earth application folder, and perform a clean startup.

Step 7: Removing a Corrupt myplaces.kml File

Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users:
1.Make sure that Google Earth Pro is closed.
2.Click Start > Start Search.
3.In the Start Search dialog box, type in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\%Local or LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarth and click OK. Alternatively, you can navigate to this folder manually by first double clicking the Computer icon on your desktop and navigating through the same folder structure .
4.Windows Explorer should now open up a GoogleEarth folder showing you several Google Earth Pro Files, including: My Style Templates Folder, myplaces.kml, myplaces.backup.kml, and myplaces.kml.tmp.
5.Make a copy of all of the files in the GoogleEarth folder, and save them in a different location, such as a folder on your desktop.
6.Delete everything in the GoogleEarth folder (make sure you've backed everything up first!)
7.Close the GoogleEarth folder and open Google Earth.
8.After logging in to the server, Google Earth Pro should create new files in the GoogleEarth folder to replace the ones you've moved out.

A bit of a mouthfull there mate...gives me the dry horrors just to even think about doing all that ....lol

You may not even have to do all steps just check it its better after each step :) take your time follow steps you be OK

Step 5: Updating Your Graphics Card Drivers

you need to find out your card you have you may see this in control panel / Device Manager look under Display adapters

Ok sorry for having to wait the day, I dug for hours and chased black sand most the day :rolleyes:

Ok, for Windows 7:

Start Menu->(right click)Computer->Properties
In Properties window on the menu at the left: Advanced system settings->Hardware->Device Manager
In the Device Manager window, look in Display Adaptors and it will list the name of your graphics card

The reason I am asking this is because some laptops don't come with a great gfx card and it may not be able to handle it.
Also you may need to update the drivers.

But, it is almost seeming like it should be able to handle it fine.

Ok, you followed what Colmaca suggested and that is all correct so far. Good to see you got through it o.k!
I can help you with step 5, if you do Colmaca's step 4 for or what I wrote above and paste your gfx card stats / information for us here so we know what it is.

Then I can guide you through downloading and installing the new drivers if this is the issue. It is worth doing, and the steps especially worth doing are Colmaca's step 1 and step 2. It will help you a lot. It is similar to what I suggested about clearing the cache, but as he mentioned they could be corrupt, so delete them and they come back when you start GE next.

PC's are not simple, but if you follow these instructions patiently, and read them correctly, it should work out. We are going through a process of elimination.

If none that works try this

break-computers-i-hate-computer-6-reasons.gif

Thanks guys , I will get back to you later if okay. Thanks for your help......I will be away for a while ..Rob

Hi Rob
Just wondering if you resolved your issues with GE.
I was having a similar problem with it after i loaded a heap of kmz files showing all the mines for all the states (that i got of of the net somewhere).
After loading all the files into it, GE would take minutes to process any inputs, virtualy making it useless (freezing) , it wasn't until i stumbled onto the side bar menu icon and disabled all the files in the places directory (by unticking them), that GE started working again i soon relised that it could only handle one folder at a time, still a 1000 or more Gps points and info for some States.
anyway i hope someone else has already fixed your problem for your or that this helps
best of luck for the the future
bmzgold

G'day Rob,

I was just about to suggest exactly what bmzgold suggested, I had downloaded gps marks for gold locations for QLD a while ago, opened GE and it almost sh$t itself when I turned the layers on, I would suggest that is the issue, it gummed up my computer something shocking when I turned the layer on, soon as I turned it off, hit pay dirt, it worked like a dream once again, sometimes it is simple little things that are the cause of such big headaches with tech.... I hope it works for you mate.

Cheers

HH

Latest posts