Google Earth running slow

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been trying to download gps co.ords onto google earth ,but finding it very frustrating at the slowness . Purchased dvd and stored into folder. I have tried different google earth downloads, but have no joy.

I am forever seeing '", google earth is not responding" and when I do manage to get session started, it freezes part way thru, and up comes "googe earth is not responding." again.

Any suggestions fellas

Everything else seems to run smoothly except for google earth. thks Rob.

Are you running the latest version? I had similar issues with GE a while back and from memory I had to uninstall / reinstall the program. Let us know how you go with it.

thanks Nugget , will try that again, read in another forum that the latest version was causing a few headaches , slow downloading etc etc
so I tried different google earth versions to try and overcome this problem, to no avail. But will have another go if you think this will help.

No worries, just make sure you restart the computer after uninstalling and again after reinstalling, it may help to resolve the issue.

Uninstall Google earth.
Run CCleaner. (Google and down load it)
Have a read on how it works. I have used it for 5 years and no probs.
Re install Google Earth.
You will also end up giving your machine a small spring clean.

back again fellas

Have tried that Nugget and also cc cleaner but it hasn't made any difference to google earth. , still as slow as buggery.

Do you think I may have to query the dvd, maybe faulty??(shes new ,just out of the box)

Try copying the files over to the computer to see how that goes.

Hi Nugget

I have saved waypoint info from the dvd into my personal folder which I can access on the startup panel...is that what you mean by saving to the computer,?? sorry mate , bit of a learning curb for me, old brain ....young computer ..

If the data is being access on your computer and not the DVD it shouldn't really slow things down. They must another issue somewhere.

Yes mate, the data is in the computer, their must be another problem ,,as you say. Hopefully someone will come up with something

As we found out with the pic upload function here a while back.....

The version of Windows being used reflects the version of Internet Explorer (or other browser) i.e. the latest IE version is ver 11 it does not work on on Windows Vista.
Unfortunately if you are using earlier versions of Windows, the latest Apps, Plugins and things like Flash may not be compatible.

I am a retired CAD Manager, Systems Administrator and Network Manager. here's a few things you can do to help regardless of Windows Version. If you don't know how use "Help" or ask here.

IE or other - Delete all - History, Cookies and Temporary files. This needs to be done occasionally as they just build up and up. (I've seen a common use office internet terminal's hard drive totally filled to the point it would not boot, there is a fix if this happens.

Computer or Laptop - Check things like Virtual Memory Size (SWAP File) and ensure you have enough Hard Drive space for it. (explained in simple terms; A PC has a fixed amount of RAM to operate, some Apps require more, so the PC caches what is in RAM and not used at a moment in time to a "SWAP" file on the disk. If the drive is near full, then there may not be room for the SWAP file and things slow down or "Crash"

There are various utilities with Windows, one is Disk Cleanup. Use it to get rid of unwanted and unused files. (These are operating system files, not your DATA)

As said, DEFRAG the drive/s you have, this compacts files that have been spread all over the disk into a smaller area and make the PC go faster.

I probably did not have a day go by at work, when someone would have a PC, printing, email, internet or application problem. To try to find and fix most of these is time consuming and may never be found. My work around was easy and in 99% of cases fixed the issue (with no rhyme or reason)

FIRST THING TO DO WITH ANY PC PROBLEM - SAVE ALL DATE IF YOU CAN, CLOSE ALL APPS IF YOU CAN, CLOSE DOWN IF YOU CAN - IF ALL ELSE FAILS PRESS THE MAJOR RESET BUTTON. and REBOOT.

WHAT IS THE MAJOR RESET BUTTON? IT'S THE ON/OFF SWITCH

Hi Condor

I am operating windows 7 computer, have only just downloaded CC Cleaner which has disposed of 870 MB of data, as suggested by Tathraj as above.

My computer is only used for domestic purposes by myself and downloading is kept to a minimum, but I am having this problem only when I try to download gps waypoints onto google earth. Just checked hard disk drives....local disk 382gb free of 448gb......recovery 2.37gb free of 16.4gb...HP tools 75.5mb free of 99.0mb....I don't know what these figures will tell you about how much disc space I have available ...it may help someone to detect the problem..thanks

Some things I found while away from continuous internet connection (using GE on a new windows7 laptop and using a USB 'dongle' for prepaid telstra mobile broadband) :-

- GE gave 'not responding' issues with the usb/dongle in (even though it would eventually load). Try removing the connection. This might require you having your required GE cache (ie satellite imagery) beforehand. You can have a max 2 GB - load up before tripping off.

- If there is sound internet connection the above should not be an issue.

- Do not have too many waypoints routes etc saved into GE. Just work with the ones needed at the time. Keep the balance outside of the app.

- [I am a rank novice with mapping] That said some KML or KMZ files can associate a table of data with some/all feature(s) which should display relevant info when clicked. Many waypoints? Then you might have associated database info that loads/sits idle in the background that is many more bytes in size than a few vector points. Again try ridding unnecessary waypoints tracks routes etc.

On other software issues :-

- Could you be having Firewall issues?

Yup forgot those, Internet connection speed, bandwidth of your connection and virus scanners all contribute.

A few years ago I was using Virgin Mobile B'band on the Optus network in Adelaide and it was sooooo slow and kept dropping out. I stayed at a place called Mirrool in the van for one night, just off the Newell highway south of West Wyalong. There's 6 houses and a pub about 2 metres off the main road. I had blistering speed and great connection using the same dongle and laptop.

Reason, in town every man an his dog are using the mobile towers, out bush, there was a tower close by and bugger all people using it. I got more bandwidth....

Hi fellas

Thanks for the info, ive just had a full session without the bloody thing tripping out, altho it was slow to load..(had a cuppa while it was loading). But yeah ! managed to find some info and save in me notebook for when I go out, possibly Thursday or Friday.

I installed the 6.2.2 version of GE, uninstalled/installed ......used CC clean out , so will try again tomorrow after work and see what happens. I hope weve nailed the problem, rapt with the info and thanks again fellas

Will let you know how she goes tomorrow.

Thanks Nugget, I thought I had it sorted until I tried to get into google earth this morning.........just couldn't load it at all......got as far as the kml loading and tips screen, and that was it.......it stayed there through breakfast and 2 cups tea....in the end just shelved it.( Not responding)

Dunno if its because we having a little drizzle here in Kalgoorlie or my computer is having its monthly.....its a pain in the rear end anyway.
I will call iinet , theyre pretty helpful ,I'm trying suss out waypoints on google earth for historical mines in the area so I can go straight there to detect rather than farting around in the dark...if you know what I mean.

I have downloaded GPS 2 Gold by Greg Hooper to my hard drive and now want to bring the waypoints up on google earth.
That's the reason I keep persevering with it.

Latest posts