Google Earth on tablets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been trying to work out if you can use google earth on either iPad or android tablet and add overlays like live and pending tennements.
Can anyone help at all????

Thanks Ramjet, I am trying to put pending and live leases on google earth but I can't work out how to use that app. Can you give me an idea of what to do, I have them saved in google drive as kmz files but it doesn't pick up the files, can't work out what I am doing wrong. Very frustrating, it's a shame there isn't an app for this that's a bit more straight forward.

You can only run 1 overlay at a time on some apps that do this, it's a real PITA, unless someone knows of a new app that can run multiple overlays?

I ended up just getting a propper laptop for doing this as my fav NSW mineral overlay has no chance of running on a phone or tablet. Seems technology is going backwards. :(

Ramjet I use it on my Nexus and all is well but a couple of times I am happily browsing away and then the screen goes white and it buggars off and I have to reload it, but it does get triangles on the screen when you zoom in too close and won't repaint the picture until you back out a bit,

John

Lc76 is pretty knowledgable when it comes to maps ect message him he maybe able to point you in the right direction

Why dont you use the apps suggested to you on the other forum ?? They do exactly what your trying to do :rolleyes: Pretty sure someone even posted a tutorial on how to do it!

The google earth app was not made to display huge overlays and doesnt do it very well. Use a proper GIS app and it will work.

Goldiewa said:
Thanks Ramjet, I am trying to put pending and live leases on google earth but I can't work out how to use that app. Can you give me an idea of what to do, I have them saved in google drive as kmz files but it doesn't pick up the files, can't work out what I am doing wrong. Very frustrating, it's a shame there isn't an app for this that's a bit more straight forward.

Maybe you need to save them on you device rather than google drive? I have no idea on that one.

Here is a series of pics of how I open a kmz file in Google Earth. In the first one is how it looks when I start the app. The location of your kmz files may be different. Open up the location of your files, click on the one you want to open. It then gives you the option of email or Google Earth. Job done.

1465009631_img_20160604_130427.jpg

1465009699_img_20160604_130509.jpg

1465009661_img_20160604_130557.jpg

1465009728_screenshot_2016-06-04-12-58-57-640x400.png

Latest posts