Good camping with prospecting near the shoalhaven

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawny

Justin
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forums and only joined tonight but ive read a lot of the posts over the times. I'm actually going away camping for a few days after New Years down somewhere on the shoalhaven. I'm primarily going away to do some prospecting ad try my highbanker out that I made (yes I hope it holds together :p). Anyways I was thinking of going to stewarts crossing I believe you can camp there and so some prospecting. But I'm curious if there is any other places along the river that would be good for camping and prospecting as well? Any ideas would be great and I know people keep they're special spots a closely guarded secret. Sorry for leaving it so late to this all came around in the last few days. Cheers guys and girls :)

Hi Pawny,

There are good camping areas (no facilities) at the shoalhaven river where Oallen Ford road crosses.

The only problem this time of the year can be a few yobbos on motor bikes etc.

The gravel bar downstream of the bridge has gold but it can be patchy so test panning is a must before deciding where to have a dig.

Cheers

Barry

Oallen Forde is one of the best I have seen.
Anywhere there is sand and cobbles, High Bank it.
As Bazza said, Dick Heads are breeding there this time of the year.
I have not heard any thing from the crossing but my gut instinct tells me that you will find color there quite easy with your banker.
Above All,
Have fun mate...

bazza2210 said:
Hi Pawny,

There are good camping areas (no facilities) at the shoalhaven river where Oallen Ford road crosses.

The only problem this time of the year can be a few yobbos on motor bikes etc.

The gravel bar downstream of the bridge has gold but it can be patchy so test panning is a must before deciding where to have a dig.

Cheers

Barry

Well just got back from the trip but didnt get a chance to take the highbanker :( but got the pan out and test pan a lot around the area and didnt seem to get much colour at all. I got a feeling I'm doing something wrong lol I know not long ago like in the last few months they had a lot of rain that saw the river over 4m higher than normal. I guess I'm stuck on where to look as I looked in spots I thought would show colour but got nothing but black sand lol

Pawny come to the oallan meet being organised at the start of February, you will learn a lot and find plenty go the yella stuff

That sounds awesome where do I find the info on this meet and what to bring and when etc?

Lol we'll it seems I can't see it for some reason? Says its incorrect or outdated? I saw something bout a 10 post thing to be able to access extras features? Maybe I don't meet the requirements lol

10 posts now mate, should be able to see it, Oallan is a great place to try, there will be a few of us going to this meet up so would be great if you can make it too

Prawns and yabbies I can get them for our dinner while pawny get the gold just joking I wanna pan for gold to

Latest posts